Tansio Mirai Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #1,651 of 2,407
Thank you, guys! I am observing a slight hissing when using the Sands with my FiiO UTWS5. I do not observe this when using them with my 7Hz Timeless or RAPTGO HOOK-X. Right now I have both the Sands and the HOOK-X connected to my Mojo 2. I can hear a faint hissing with the Sands when the playback is stopped. I have paused a song on the Amazon Music App. I can also hear it when I open UAPP. With the HOOK-X, I cannot hear anything.

After further testing, it goes like this:

Sands + BTR7 = dead silent + sounds truly Amazing!! No EQ.
Sands + Qudelix 5K = dead silent + sounds Super Fantastic, just differently from the BTR7! No EQ.
Sands + Mojo 2 = slight hiss + sounds really nice but I have to EQ to decrease the lower treble region
Sands + UTWS5 = slight hiss + sounds fine. No EQ
100: Bass enhancement mode, currently using the HOOK-X stock cable as my PAC480 cable is in the mail

All of my other IEMs and Headphones are dead silent with all of my sources. I am usually listening from my Android phone via Bluetooth (LDAC, LHDC) but for this test I have connected everything to my phone using my ddHiFi USB C cable. Listening to .WAV files saved on my phone using UAPP. Also Amazon Music Unlimited and YouTube.

Yesterday, something weird happened. I have the Sands for some days now, they must have more than 150 hours burn in time/playback time by now. However, only today I've started listening to them. So yesterday, I decided to try another pair of eartips I have. The right IEM tip was giving me a bit of a hard time to pull it off, like it was stuck. Anyway, I placed the other tips on and something was not right, like the right channel was not playing fully or properly. Like I was having channel imbalance. I did some tests, too. After about one hour, while I was listening to music, the right channel opened up and started to play like the left channel again. I did the channel imbalance tests again and both channels were sounding identical. Since then, I have not observed any channel imbalance. But the slight hissing is there.

Do you think that I might have broken something? I do not think so, because I've examined both of them (L/R) and nothing seems broken.

PS: @Redcarmoose , @Dsnuts , suggest me one album to discover what the Sands can truly do, please.
PPS: the stock Tansio Mirai Sands cable does an unbelievably fantastic job on my HOOK-X!!! :) :)

Which tips are you, guys, using with the Sands, and why?

I am using the stock, so far, because , my PAC480 cable has not arrived, yet, due to Royal Mail strikes. I'm currently using the HOOK-X stock cable.
If you please, share the genre(s) you're listening to, and your audio chain. Mine is described right above.

Thank you :)
The Sands IEM does not generate hiss, but the way the treble is parlayed with the Sands is unique to the IEM world. Hence the air sound of your amp could actually be brought to life and into a level of hearing due to the upper treble shelf.

So it’s in your equipment upstream from the Sands. Messing with cables is fun with the Sands but also limited to which cables seem to work. The PAC480 is solid gold for how it somehow rearranges the guitar tone and still emphasizes such sounds but at the same time produces this silky smooth quality to the treble, also adding bass tone. When you have somehow found the DAP/Cable synergy then the Ohhh moment arrives which lets you know that the Sands is for you and that it’s unique in the world of IEMs, therefor valuable!

I will use the ISN C2 cable and PAC480 as the only two cables that seem to work (for me). I use the Sony WM1Z and a generic set of wide-bore tips, as I want to maximize the size of the generated sound stage.

Music happens to be anything special with guitar which has been processed to come forward in the mix. Like heavy treble emphasis in guitar processing effects in the recording. This seems like the opposite of what someone should/would use the Sand for but it works as a way to hear into such tones and experience a style of guitar harmonics never heard, at least never heard before by me?

Episode
Song by Theatre of Tragedy

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #1,652 of 2,407
sorry if I haven't gotten back to you on that. I have been swamped with reviews I have been doing lately, I call it the end of year blues. I am sure Red is busy with is review cue as well. I personally use moondrop foams on my set with ARES S UPOCC copper cable. Love to the Sands on the BTR7. Matches well with its slighly warm dynamic sound quality.

Sands with my IBasso DX300Max is insanely great. One of the aboslute best pairing with source and IEM I own actually.
Thanks a lot for your reply! :)
I will wait for the PAC480 cable to arrive and I will consider purchasing another cable, accordingly. Same with the tips.

Currently, with the stock tips, the HOOK-X cable and set to 100: Bass enhancement mode, and after nearly 200 hours of burn-in, my Sands give me mixed feelings.
The best source available to me is my BTR7, and I am happy about it! Too bad my Mojo 2 is giving me (slight) hissing... Same with my UTWS5...
With the Sands, I am enjoying the majority of my music in .WAV
I can listen to Amazon Music, as well, it can sound OK.
I cannot listen to YouTube, it sounds horrible.

What is your most favourite album to audition with the Sands?

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #1,653 of 2,407
The Sands IEM does not generate hiss, but the way the treble is parlayed with the Sands is unique to the IEM world. Hence the air sound of your amp could actually be brought to life and into a level of hearing due to the upper treble shelf.

So it’s in your equipment upstream from the Sands. Messing with cables is fun with the Sands but also limited to which cables seem to work. The PAC480 is solid gold for how it somehow rearranges the guitar tone and still emphasizes such sounds but at the same time produces this silky smooth quality to the treble, also adding bass tone. When you have somehow found the DAP/Cable synergy then the Ohhh moment arrives which lets you know that the Sands is for you and that it’s unique in the world of IEMs, therefor valuable!

I will use the ISN C2 cable and PAC480 as the only two cables that seem to work (for me). I use the Sony WM1Z and a generic set of wide-bore tips, as I want to maximize the size of the generated sound stage.

Music happens to be anything special with guitar which has been processed to come forward in the mix. Like heavy treble emphasis in guitar processing effects in the recording. This seems like the opposite of what someone should/would use the Sand for but it works as a way to hear into such tones and experience a style of guitar harmonics never heard, at least never heard before by me?

Episode
Song by Theatre of Tragedy
Hello there, and thank you very much for your response + explanation, was really looking forward to it!!
I will wait for my PAC cable, it got Custom Clearance on December, 12 but still it is in transit.... 😥

I realize that you must be getting hammered but, please please, two things, whenever you'll find a minute:
1) Can you listen to the HOOK-X with the stock Sands cable and tell me, us, your impressions? (I find it Amazing!)
2) Suggest me a full album from any Artist, besides Death/Trash Metal, which will highlight/reveal the true qualities of the Sands.

Personally, I am listening to Electronica.

Have you ever listened to any one of the following Artists: Ott, Ajja, Cosmosis, Quantica?

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,654 of 2,407
To me the stock Sands cable is just too much with a great part of my music while the PAC480 takes away too much of the Sands special character. I’m happy with the Dunu Amber. Sources are my 3 Sony daps

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #1,655 of 2,407
Hello there, and thank you very much for your response + explanation, was really looking forward to it!!
I will wait for my PAC cable, it got Custom Clearance on December, 12 but still it is in transit.... 😥

I realize that you must be getting hammered but, please please, two things, whenever you'll find a minute:
1) Can you listen to the HOOK-X with the stock Sands cable and tell me, us, your impressions? (I find it Amazing!)
2) Suggest me a full album from any Artist, besides Death/Trash Metal, which will highlight/reveal the true qualities of the Sands.

Have you ever listened to any one of the following Artists: Ott, Ajja, Cosmosis,

The HOOK-X and stock Sands cable I will listen to when it’s morning here and get back to you.

Contrary to what you would expect, the Sands does well with EDM and seems to get the balance right, though it will be synergy with everything, DAP/Cable/IEM/Music...........though somehow I could play everything with the Sands?

But the stock cable does not have many uses for me other than it looks nice, but come to think of it, it does seem (before trying it) like it could actually work with the HOOK-X, that the two personalities may blend? You may be onto something here? Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #1,656 of 2,407
Thanks a lot for your reply! :)
I will wait for the PAC480 cable to arrive and I will consider purchasing another cable, accordingly. Same with the tips.

Currently, with the stock tips, the HOOK-X cable and set to 100: Bass enhancement mode, and after nearly 200 hours of burn-in, my Sands give me mixed feelings.
The best source available to me is my BTR7, and I am happy about it! Too bad my Mojo 2 is giving me (slight) hissing... Same with my UTWS5...
With the Sands, I am enjoying the majority of my music in .WAV
I can listen to Amazon Music, as well, it can sound OK.
I cannot listen to YouTube, it sounds horrible.

What is your most favourite album to audition with the Sands?
One of my favorite live albums of all time is Eric Claptons unplugged album. It is supremely recorded and arguably one of his best works, happens to be a live set. This album has been my go to for sound separation, imaging, detail, treble and head stage. If you dont own a CD or digital copy of this. I highly recommend tracking it down. Definitiely worth owning.
Nirvana and Alice in Chains unplugged both get honorable mentions but overall I would give Eric Claptons performance top honors. Superb on the Sands.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #1,657 of 2,407
One of my favorite live albums of all time is Eric Claptons unplugged album. It is supremely recorded and arguably one of his best works, happens to be a live set. This album has been my go to for sound separation, imaging, detail, treble and head stage. If you dont own a CD or digital copy of this. I highly recommend tracking it down. Definitiely worth owning.
Nirvana and Alice in Chains unplugged both get honorable mentions but overall I would give Eric Claptons performance top honors. Superb on the Sands.

Thank you very much!
I got it!
The day after tomorrow I will try to understand what you mean.

Attachments

• Eric.png
    Eric.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 19, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #1,658 of 2,407
Which tips are you, guys, using with the Sands, and why?

I am using the stock, so far, because , my PAC480 cable has not arrived, yet, due to Royal Mail strikes. I'm currently using the HOOK-X stock cable.
If you please, share the genre(s) you're listening to, and your audio chain. Mine is described right above.

Thank you :)
Good question. Today I finally finished exchanging tips and sources to make my Sands sound good.

Tidal/YouTube/video game audio on PC > PipeWire audio > upsample to 192khz > easyeffects (Exciter, PEQ, Stereo Width Tools) > Link2 BAL on 100% volume, high gain, UAC 2.0 > 150 Ohm Adapter in 3.5mm output > 3.5mm to RCA cable > Topping A50s running with ifi iPower Mk2 PSU > NiceHCK LitzOCC 4.4mm cable > TSMR Sands with SpinFit CP100 L tips (red stems).

To my ears I have finally achieved endgame sound. Maybe exchange the 4.4mm cable with another cable, but that's it. This is endgame until much better USB-C DACs and better IEMs get released. So my endgame stands for atleast a few years. The effect that the high gain and the 150 Ohm adapter had is astounishing. Much smoother, wide open and detailed sound. The double amping achieved by the A50s is the final cherry on top.

The PAC480 was a tad to heavy for me. So I went for this really good pure copper cable. Sounds super clean, but I'm still gonna try a few new cables to get even better sound.

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #1,659 of 2,407

Have you ever listened to any one of the following Artists: Ott, Ajja, Cosmosis, Quantica?

The HOOK-X and stock Sands cable I will listen to when it’s morning here and get back to you.

Contrary to what you would expect, the Sands does well with EDM and seems to get the balance right, though it will be synergy with everything, DAP/Cable/IEM/Music...........though somehow I could play everything with the Sands?

But the stock cable does not have many uses for me other than it looks nice, but come to think of it, it does seem (before trying it) like it could actually work with the HOOK-X, that the two personalities may blend? You may be onto something here? Cheers!

My God? I would have never in all my days discovered this combo? It just that I don’t try everything with everything.....as that would be near impossible to get a grasp of it all.

And while the HOOK-Z is my number 2 or 3 favorite planar IEMs. First off, it’s a tad thin with the supplied Sands cable, but what is there is balanced and provocative, to say the least.

This style of playback I could probably listen to for a week and find home with. What is happening is the mids are pushed up into a style of thickness that adds pace and almost discourages the thickness that has bestowed the HOOK-X in its world renowned fame and fortune.

The next thing is the bass is almost put so far back that it’s an after thought, still it works because the HOOK is already known for this slower and undefined wooly bass, so to clean it up and reposition it farther back totally works, crazy as there is almost more definition to the bass? A first for this unusual creature-feature!

The HOOK-X remains an enigma being bone transmission, being totally freaking open-back and being one of the very first Planar IEMs I had a personal association with.

Thank-you, thank-you. You should post this is the HOOK-X thread I started way back when it was released! Dam..........

Edit:

The only thing is when you take a little of the authority away it reveals a slight Piezoelectric grain which is just part of the HOOK-X’s deal anyway, only now it is seen clearer.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #1,660 of 2,407
My God? I would have never in all my days discovered this combo? It just that I don’t try everything with everything.....as that would be near impossible to get a grasp of it all.

And while the HOOK-Z is my number 2 or 3 favorite planar IEMs, I’m always surprised how much cable leeway it has. First off, it’s a tad thin with the supplied Sands cable, but what is there is balanced and provocative, to say the least.

This style of playback I could probably listen to for a week and find home with. What is happening is the mids are pushed up into a style of thickness that adds pace and almost discourages the thickness that has bestowed the HOOK-X in its world renowned fame and fortune.

The next thing is the bass is almost put so far back that it’s an after thought, still it works because the HOOK is already known for this slower and undefined wooly bass, so to clean it up and reposition it farther back totally works, crazy as there is almost more definition to the bass? A first for this unusual creature-feature!

The HOOK-X remains an enigma being bone transmission, being totally freaking open-back and being one of the very first Planar IEMs I had a personal association with.

Thank-you, thank-you. You should post this is the HOOK-X thread I started way back when it was released! Dam..........

Edit:

The only thing is when you take a little of the authority away it reveals a slight Piezoelectric grain which is just part of the HOOK-X’s deal anyway, only now it is seen clearer.
Thank you so much for your reply and impressions!

So, just to clarify this completely, do you like the HOOK-X with the stock Sands cable? Does it play better, compared to the stock cable?
For me, personally, it plays much much better! :)
On a scale from 0 to 10 how much would you give to each combination, so HOOK-X + stock cable and HOOK-X + Sands cable?

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #1,661 of 2,407
Well, I have just spend a week reviewing various cables, the new ISN C2, S2 and H2!

I also spent awhile doing a review for the new Penon Obsidian cable, and just gave that a review. I gave both reviews top 5 scores as those 4 cables do a specific job and do it well for the money.
———————————————————————————-
I wrote the above because I want you to understand that I’ve been doing cable reviews all week. Does that mean I’m totally correct in my reviews and visions of the 5 star rating. No, heck no. But....there is kinda a middle ground that we search for a place that means if others go and spend their hard earned money on a cable purchase that in truth they can obtain similar results. Mostly if they combine the S2 (silver-plated) with the stuff talked about in the review, or the copper C2 (pure OCC) they will reach the same results.

With that said the Sands cable is an outlier anyway. Meaning it’s not just me and my findings, but many people who wanted to love the Sands with the included cable could not. They had to get an additional aftermarket cable to reach success. And just like all things this is not 100% going to be this way for everyone. Everyone has particular taste in tone. But we need to concentrate on what we feel will fit the majority of people. This is how I as a reviewer I try to bring relevant ideas to anyone who reads my reviews. Thus acceptable to the broadest group.

Thank you so much for your reply and impressions!

So, just to clarify this completely, do you like the HOOK-X with the stock Sands cable? Does it play better, compared to the stock cable?
For me, personally, it plays much much better! :)
On a scale from 0 to 10 how much would you give to each combination, so HOOK-X + stock cable and HOOK-X + Sands cable?
The response I first gave to you about the Sands cable was due to surprise. Surprise that it actually seemed somehow to work. I don’t use that (Sands) cable, really I never use it. Being the tester that I am and being a careful thrift focused person, I actually tried the cable on a bunch of stuff, it was never good. Not on anything probably?

With the HOOK-X it was very interesting in that it did make for an enjoyable listening experience, though I feel some of the magic the HOOK-X just does naturally is not 100% there. Meaning it’s a fun departure from the tried and true rendition of the HOOK-X sound that people know, but it looses a little authority that was warmth and a gloss over that hid the Piezoelectric out-put.

In the end the HOOK-X did not sound 100% smooth, it never totally sounded smooth but now what smoothness was there is totally gone.

Also in relation to others getting good results.....
All this really depends to a point on what you are powering the HOOK-X with. So each person is still going to have their sound values as to where they are wanting to go with the sound.

So question 1) It’s not necessarily better but different.

Strangely I still give the stock a 9 on a 1-10 scale.
I give the Sands cable on the HOOK-X a 5. (Read Edit)

But that’s just me, if someone wanted diminished bass and grain or didn’t notice the lacking bass but embraced that bass style they could give the Sands cable on the HOOK-X a 9? Even a 10 like you might?

Still the reason it’s interesting is I never heard the HOOK-X this way? As noted in my previous post the HOOK-X with regular cable in not perfect but it has a charm. The new Sands cable creates a new kind of balance, which is also endearing but on the thin side.

You may be an outlier in your interpretation of the Sands cable with the HOOK-X but at the same time you should post about it in the HOOK-X thread I started only because I have never changed the cable from stock (I don’t think?) on the HOOK-X and because other HOOK-X owners may be like you and love it!

Cheers!

Edit:
Haha I just listened to Nothing Else Matters from the Black album in 48 kHz -24 bit.....wow....I’m still infatuated with the Sands cable on the HOOK-X and maybe need to improve my score to 7, or 8. I need to spend much more time with this! It is amazing?

I really want others to try this and report back!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #1,662 of 2,407
Strangely I still give the stock a 9 on a 1-10 scale.
I give the Sands cable on the HOOK-X a 5. (Read Edit)

Edit:
Haha I just listened to Nothing Else Matters from the Black album in 48 kHz -24 bit.....wow....I’m still infatuated with the Sands cable on the HOOK-X and maybe need to improve my score to 7, or 8. I need to spend much more time with this! It is amazing?

I really want others to try this and report back!

Thank you for your impressions, I appreciate it!

It surprises me that you consider the stock HOOK-X cable better or even equivalent to the Sands cable, for the HOOK-X.

Right now I am listening to the HOOK-X + Sands cable and all I am hearing is Pure Silk... with the FiiO BTR7. I am listening to volume 30, which is loud for me. It plays better than the Sands + Hook-X cable but I reserve my right to change my mind after the PAC cable will arrive. I am listening to Ajja, Ott, Above and Beyond, and others, all in .WAV via UAPP.

The base is extremely important to me and it is there! It is not in the back, retrieved, it is all around, embracing, the Great Sound.
Humbly.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #1,663 of 2,407
Thank you for your impressions, I appreciate it!

It surprises me that you consider the stock HOOK-X cable better or even equivalent to the Sands cable, for the HOOK-X.

Right now I am listening to the HOOK-X + Sands cable and all I am hearing is Pure Silk... with the FiiO BTR7. I am listening to volume 30, which is loud for me. It plays better than the Sands + Hook-X cable but I reserve my right to change my mind after the PAC cable will arrive. I am listening to Ajja, Ott, Above and Beyond, and others, all in .WAV via UAPP.

The base is extremely important to me and it is there! It is not in the back, retrieved, it is all around, embracing, the Great Sound.
Humbly.
There are times with bass heavy music that the Sands cable/HOOK-X combo is insanely good. And you have to realize it's whole equipment grouping character. Meaning DAP/Cable/IEM that is important..............then again you are listening to basically all Electronica. So? Do you see where I'm going with this?

It's probably best with Electronica but not a low quality low-res old thin files. The HOOK-X cable is more well rounded in that regard.

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #1,664 of 2,407
A few users so far have complained about possible channel inbalance in the TSMR Sands. This inbalance actually exists, it's origin is unusual. So far I have swapped a lot of tips on my Sands and the inbalance was still there. The solution were the large white tips included in the box. The inbalance is gone when the Sands is inserted deep into the air and with absolute seal on both ears.

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #1,665 of 2,407
Regarding hiss, I have another Tansio Mirai IEM, not Sands and it does have hiss out of some sources. It's way more sensitive then other IEMs I have, so it picks up the static noise from the source (especially the ones with more power). Probably with Sands it's the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back