Tanchjim in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #1,216 of 1,514
1626575561156.png

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,217 of 1,514
My review of the 2021 New Hana:

• Is it an Oxygen on a budget? As best I can tell, yes. Measures the same as the Oxygen I heard, and sounds the same... based on memory. About two months in between unfortunately.
  • vs. OG Hana, the New Hana is a somewhat warmer tune and notably more bass emphasis.
  • Is that better or worse? Up to personal take, you probably know who you are. (I personally prefer the OG Hana's more open midrange sound.)
  • Imaging performance is still stellar.
A lot of Starfield owners out there ask me about a good "upgrade," and while I usually avoid the "upgrade talk" since a lot of audio is tradeoffs, I do think the New Hana is a good answer to that question. New Hana is similar tuning, with similar bass presence, but IMO much stronger technical performance. Which is more than I could say for the KXXX/KXXS.

It's interesting that Tanchjim didn't just release the Hana with this tuning to begin with as it's what most people were asking for.

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,218 of 1,514
My review of the 2021 New Hana:

• Is it an Oxygen on a budget? As best I can tell, yes. Measures the same as the Oxygen I heard, and sounds the same... based on memory. About two months in between unfortunately.
  • vs. OG Hana, the New Hana is a somewhat warmer tune and notably more bass emphasis.
  • Is that better or worse? Up to personal take, you probably know who you are. (I personally prefer the OG Hana's more open midrange sound.)
  • Imaging performance is still stellar.
A lot of Starfield owners out there ask me about a good "upgrade," and while I usually avoid the "upgrade talk" since a lot of audio is tradeoffs, I do think the New Hana is a good answer to that question. New Hana is similar tuning, with similar bass presence, but IMO much stronger technical performance. Which is more than I could say for the KXXX/KXXS.

Interesting. Now I'm just waiting for the Kato to be released (KXXS replacement?), and see which one is the better Starfield upgrade muahaha

Jul 24, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #1,219 of 1,514
Thanks for the graphs. The 3 kHz mountain looks fierce for sure, might be shouty, especially like another Moondrop SSR/SSP kind of peak. But of course graphs don't tell the full story, and perhaps some filters/foam can damp this area, or playing at softer volumes (Fletcher Munson curve).
A pair of Sony EP-EX11 should chop those off effectively, without taking away a lot of trebles we'd like to hear...

Jul 30, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,220 of 1,514
DSC09036.jpg

The Tanchjim Tanya is the most competently tuned IEM below $40 I have ever heard. Like the slightly more expensive Moondrop SSR and SSP, the Tanya stands out from its similarly-priced competitors because of the intentional effort of its designers to make it sound coherent. I see no reason to buy any other IEM at its price point or below so long as it remains unique in this respect.

My full review is available on my blog:

https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/tanchjim-tanya-review-b3ec2d08ce5e

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #1,221 of 1,514
Tanya is my pick for anything under about 200 right now. It's presentation is just plain fun and awesome for all genres of music. It has amazing soundstage and 3D. Excellent bass though definitely boosted a bit.. which works really well for badly recorded 70s rock and metal.. which other sets cannot play in an enjoyable way. Reggae is amazing on them. The things that are less amazing are probably just the lack of treble shimmers and such that most folks put a massive emphasis on. I value other metrics much more.

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #1,222 of 1,514
Tanya is my pick for anything under about 200 right now. It's presentation is just plain fun and awesome for all genres of music. It has amazing soundstage and 3D. Excellent bass though definitely boosted a bit.. which works really well for badly recorded 70s rock and metal.. which other sets cannot play in an enjoyable way. Reggae is amazing on them. The things that are less amazing are probably just the lack of treble shimmers and such that most folks put a massive emphasis on. I value other metrics much more.
uhhh should I just buy Tanya for fun then?? sounds like a good beater to toss around or gifts...hmmm

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,223 of 1,514
uhhh should I just buy Tanya for fun then?? sounds like a good beater to toss around or gifts...hmmm
Depending on what you mean by "beater", they might not be the best choice, as they are a bit flimsy feeling, and the cable tends to hold shape if it's been stored with the cable in a kinked/coiled manner. Like, I wouldn't trust repeatedly shoving them in and out of pants pockets while commuting, for example.

They're great for having on hand at home though. When my ears are a bit tired of wearing IEMs that are heavy and/or with over-ear cables, I can toss in the Tanyas and wear them cable down and keep on rocking. They're super lightweight and comfortable to me.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,224 of 1,514
Thats my pick for exactly that.. and I really enjoy listening to them! The fit and no nonsense fixed cables are kind of nice...?! oddly enough. I can shove these things in in seconds and off I go. No worrying about anything. Shove in a pocket.. whatever. If they break no big deal. Cables with no attached iems are more expensive after all.

I think if they cost like $120 bux and had a better build look(or something) people would give them more credit. As is, WIN!

As far as something that is a bit whoa: You can crank these things and they remain distortion free, including bass. The bass can hit like a truck too.. for a 7mm DD.. heck yes! Im kind of wishing for an iem with THIS DD for bass and mids and maybe some kind of EST or BA just for a HAIR of treble shimmers and a tad more 'bite' with transients. But just a hair. I know it probably is a pipe dream but I can wish.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #1,226 of 1,514
did you guys get with mic or no mic? wonder if I can use this for work as well

The tanya has excellent timbre and tonality, though technicalities are not class leading.

One issue other than the non detachable cable is that it needs amping. Tanya sounds meh from a low powered source and the midbass is a bit flabby when underpowered.

I really like my set a lot, but for the amping reason, if you don't have an amp at work, it might be a consideration to check out other less power hungry iems.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #1,227 of 1,514
The tanya has excellent timbre and tonality, though technicalities are not class leading.

One issue other than the non detachable cable is that it needs amping. Tanya sounds meh from a low powered source and the midbass is a bit flabby when underpowered.

I really like my set a lot, but for the amping reason, if you don't have an amp at work, it might be a consideration to check out other less power hungry iems.
oh .. hmmm .. so my phone won't play it well? maybe ill pass then

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #1,228 of 1,514
oh .. hmmm .. so my phone won't play it well? maybe ill pass then

You won't be doing the sound justice IMHO on a low powered smartphone. Perhaps other than using some LGV smartphone or connecting some dongle dac/amp to your phone (dongles are relatively cheap nowadays).

The tanya scales very well when amped. It is not about absolute volume and just jacking up the volume on a low powered smartphone. More that without amping, you lose dynamics, soundstage, microdetails and bass tightness on the Tanya.

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #1,230 of 1,514
did you guys get with mic or no mic? wonder if I can use this for work as well
I got mine with a mic, so I could use it for video meetings at work. Totally acceptable mic performance. I would guess that the mic cable is more prone to failure compared to the one without the mic, I've had cheap hard wired IEM sets with mics fail on the side with the microphone twice over the years. However as redrol noted, they're incredibly cheap, so if they crap out it's not that big of a deal.

Plus the addition of like 10 sets of the filters is really nice too. I have been experimenting putting the Tanya filters on a couple of my sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back