Tanchjim in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #512 of 1,514
I'm asking if the cable's polarity is reversed or the pins on the earpieces themselves are reversed in polarity. Because you said you tested the cables, so I assume it was the cable?

You know we cannot test the polarity of earphones unless it is transparent shell and we can see it. We can only test thru the cables.

I said i did some cable rolling (different cables aside from stock cables) this includes Forza premium cable and i wonder why it doesnt sound as good as the stock cables. so i did some checking on stock cable polarity and found it out as reverse polarity. and to support my findings, you can see the message from Tanchjim Official Page when i asked them.

50F19442-3047-4664-A400-4D6BFAC1F16E.jpeg

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #513 of 1,514
You know we cannot test the polarity of earphones unless it is transparent shell and we can see it. We can only test thru the cables.

I said i did some cable rolling (different cables aside from stock cables) this includes Forza premium cable and i wonder why it doesnt sound as good as the stock cables. so i did some checking on stock cable polarity and found it out as reverse polarity. and to support my findings, you can see the message from Tanchjim Official Page when i asked them.

You mean stock cable sounded proper? Or the aftermarket cable?

You can deduce which is wrong polarity by know if the polarity of the cable is wrong.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #514 of 1,514
You mean stock cable sounded proper? Or the aftermarket cable?
stock cable is good, or any upgrade cable which is reverse polarity will sound good.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #516 of 1,514
Polarity only matters when you have polarized components like Tantalum capacitors in the IEM's circuit. For example, TSMR IEMs have Tantalum capacitors and for that I check the polarity of 3rd party cables before plugging them in. So, if there aren't any polarized components in the IEM, you're good! Don't worry, use any cable you like.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #517 of 1,514
I'm confused. Aftermarket cables are proper polarity or the stock cable? And out of both, which sounds proper?

stock cable is reverse polarity thats why it sounded good compared to other cables which is not reverse.

my experienced:
oxygen + reverse polarity 2pin = good
oxygen + normal polarity 2pin = not good

also tanchjim announces it:
oxygen uses reverse polarity 2pin

you can reverse any 2pin cable if you like. just remove the earguide.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #518 of 1,514
stock cable is reverse polarity thats why it sounded good compared to other cables which is not reverse.

my experienced:

When did tanchjim announced this (you mean the chat above?)? Most cables have angled insulator sheath that has memory. This is an issue.

I was confused because your chat shows that the cable was reverse polarity.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #519 of 1,514
still you could not believe it. if you have multi-meter tester, you can check it on your own.

The photo below is the longer conversation to prove it.

0A101B7A-B042-48C9-82A0-B2F889F8C6F2.jpeg

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #521 of 1,514

my experienced:

Ouch, and i'm thinking of getting silver wire cable for oxygen.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #522 of 1,514
Jan 23, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #523 of 1,514
Tested the cables myself and yes, the polarity is inversed. And it makes no difference in my experience.
I've tested it with both the stock cables (which I'm not a fan of) and the TRN 6 cores I use normally (which I like quite a lot). Additionally, after using a multimeter to check the polarity, I tested with them in the iFi micro BL, where I can also change the polarity of the output. So I've tested both cables with and without the polarity inversion of my micro BL.

It makes no difference whatsoever.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #524 of 1,514
Tested the cables myself and yes, the polarity is inversed. And it makes no difference in my experience.
I've tested it with both the stock cables (which I'm not a fan of) and the TRN 6 cores I use normally (which I like quite a lot). Additionally, after using a multimeter to check the polarity, I tested with them in the iFi micro BL, where I can also change the polarity of the output. So I've tested both cables with and without the polarity inversion of my micro BL.

It makes no difference whatsoever.

The SQ difference between normal and reverse polarities leads me to test it with multi-meter tester.

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #525 of 1,514
The SQ difference between normal and reverse polarities leads me to test it with multi-meter tester.
I find it interesting how some people really notice a difference in sound with reversing the polarity of the cables, while others notice no difference at all. I would think that the should shouldn’t change, so long as the right and left cables are hooked up the same way, just like speakers.....or ami completely misunderstanding things?

Also, has anyone done a comparison of the Tanchjim Oxygen to the TinT4, or the Drop JVC FDX1 for that matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back