talk me out of getting J3
Jun 24, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #20 of 30
One more consideration.  My iPhone has physical volume +/- buttons which are easy to locate without looking by touch alone.  When the volume is too high or low i can reach into my pocket and fix while holding the bike's handlebars with the other hand and keeping my eyes on where i am going.  The volume adjustment is a little crude ( probably 4 - 6 decibel steps or so ) but its still useful for when you suddenly get music blasting out of nowhere so loud your ears hurt, or when it suddenly almost completely disappears under the wind noise.

If the player doesn't have replay gain etc then it MUST have physical volume control buttons that i can access without going to the touch screen.  How do the cowons do on this front ?  Can the buttons be located by touch ?  On the iPhone 3G/3GS its a no brainer - the buttons are metal with sharp edges, stick out of the plastic body and are right next to the headphone jack so you just follow the headphone cable to them.

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 30
Yes, external controls are a must for my on the go player, and the J3 not only has volume, but also pause skip/back controls, which the Touch does not (unless you use Apple phones with that capability built in).

On the J3, the volume buttons are at the bottom right of the player (when facing forward). The skip/advance button is at the top right, and the pause in the middle. Very easy too use. There also is a lock button that disengages the touchscreen, much like a quick push of the power button does on the Touch. I own both, use both, but on the go, prefer the J3 when I need to control a player "blind."

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #23 of 30

Quote:
That would include my replay gain,....but it's still rough compared to the D2's standard UI/UCI's.

Give the new themes a try, since I loaded RB on my D2 I haven't used the OF. RB both sounds and looks better, and with the new themes RB is also much easier to use.

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #24 of 30
Ok upon suggestion in another thread i updated my iPhone to software version 4.0 and it has fixed the EQ problems i was having.  Where before all bass boosting presets used to clip now they do not.  That EQ is still not exactly what you would call advanced LOL but now that it at least works it just doesn't make sense for me to invest into a dedicated music player for doing cardio - the iPhone is going to do.

Thanks everybody for your input.  It was some interesting information even if i don't get to apply it directly.

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #25 of 30
I just wanted a nice player with a working wifi/browser for retrieving email, reading the web, etc. My mobile is a 3-year-old Chocolate, so no smartphone (not sure I need one). As for which I think is better at what, to me both the J3 and Touch have excellent SQ. I sometimes use the Touch out walking too, but only if I stick to a playlist.

Quote:
and when do you use the touch, and why ?  what do you think it is better at ?

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #26 of 30

Quote:
 so no smartphone (not sure I need one). 

iPhone 3GS was probably the best purchase i have made in my life.

if i were you i would get an iPhone 4.  wait another week or two as there is still information coming in on possible bugs / shortcomings of this new product - then just get it.  

questioning whether you need an iPhone is like questioning whether you need a refrigerator in the house.  it's only something a person who has never used a refrigerator could do.

this video will explain it to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiSyS93gmjs

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #29 of 30

Quote:

iPhone 3GS was probably the best purchase i have made in my life.

if i were you i would get an iPhone 4.  wait another week or two as there is still information coming in on possible bugs / shortcomings of this new product - then just get it.  

questioning whether you need an iPhone is like questioning whether you need a refrigerator in the house.  it's only something a person who has never used a refrigerator could do.

this video will explain it to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiSyS93gmjs

Jesus, drink more Koolaid.  I hate Apple even more now after reading that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back