Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 15, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #3,961 of 4,538
Yep, I don't get any of microphonics reported by @mengshi , at least not from the pads or cups.

By microphonics I mean with the headphone on your ears, if you touch/rub the pads or cups or cables close to the ear, you will hear the rubbing sounds in the cups, as if amplified or that rubbing sound "resonates" in the cups. In a room with ceiling fan, the "turbulent"air flow over the pads can makes "wind noise" similar to when you drive with windows down and the wind hits your ears. (Similar but not exactly as loud but still bothersome). This is how I understand it. Does not happen with velour pads with the wind as I think the airflow is dissipated by the rough surface of velour.

I guess closed headphones are like that. An example of micophonics in IEM is the Samsung AKG OEM. This IEM has cables that have those "soft touch"rubberized feel. These are terrible in terms of microphonics.

I am really surprised you don't have it. Perhaps you don't consider this microphonics ? From Wiki: "microphonics is the basically the annoying rustling sound you get when your earbud cable rubs along a surface."

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #3,962 of 4,538
...In a room with ceiling fan, the "turbulent"air flow over the pads can makes "wind noise" similar to when you drive with windows down and the wind hits your ears. (Similar but not exactly as loud but still bothersome)...
You should probably lower the RPM of the fan before your house lifts off :jecklinsmile:
On a serious note, strong wind definitely can cause noise, nothing unusual about that.
That's why microphones need windscreens.

...I am really surprised you don't have it. Perhaps you don't consider this microphonics ? From Wiki: "microphonics is the basically the annoying rustling sound you get when your earbud cable rubs along a surface."

Please note how Wiki limits microphonics to a cable rubbing along a surface - not you touching the cable, or pads/cups.
For me, microphonics must be accidental - if I'm touching the cups/pads, that will create noise on any headphones, not just closed ones.
In fact, touching my earbuds right now creates a lot of noise too...

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #3,963 of 4,538
After a few years of collecting, I now rock 82 Pro's as my daily at work and home (2 sets).
I sold my GM200's and will now sell of / pass on most of my other sets that are good, but not as good.
Tempted to buy a spare pair or 2, at some point they will be EOL and my current sets won't last forever.

Death of a hobby, but I'm happy with where I've settled.

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #3,964 of 4,538
Another contender got in:
1619790833259.png

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #3,965 of 4,538
After a few years of collecting, I now rock 82 Pro's as my daily at work and home (2 sets).
I sold my GM200's and will now sell of / pass on most of my other sets that are good, but not as good.
Tempted to buy a spare pair or 2, at some point they will be EOL and my current sets won't last forever.

What do you find superior about the 82s over the gm200s?

Personally I have found listening to doom metal/stoner rock/hiphop is more pleasant on the gm200. However more accoustic instruments in genres like bluegrass/folk/blues (especially less distorted guitar) sound far clearer on the 82s. Getting rid of one would hurt.

May 3, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #3,966 of 4,538
What do you find superior about the 82s over the gm200s?

Personally I have found listening to doom metal/stoner rock/hiphop is more pleasant on the gm200. However more accoustic instruments in genres like bluegrass/folk/blues (especially less distorted guitar) sound far clearer on the 82s. Getting rid of one would hurt.
Tighter bass.
The 82 Pro has enough bottom end and extension for me. The GM seems a bit loose and possibly some interference from the port down low. Not bad, just not as good.

I am a basshead, but in the last year find myself pulling back on bass quantity. Even turned off the APTX in favour of eqing out some bass on the Sony BT's.

May 3, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,967 of 4,538

I wish I was as wise as you :slight_smile:
Spent the last 4 years trying to find something better than Pro 82 - only found Pro 82 v2 :jecklinsmile:

Sure, Stax 009 beats Pro 82 v2 (slightly, mostly in soundstage - it's an open headphone after all), but the other 6-7 $1000+ headphones/earphones I have bought, get no use whatsoever...
This hobby can get very expensive, if you don't know when to stop. Hopefully, my experience will prevent other people from wasting their time and money, chasing the next best thing. Sometimes you need to stop and appreciate what you have.

May 12, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #3,968 of 4,538

yep. Takstar Pro82's ended my LONG search for just the right pair of headphones. Like you, I'm thinking of buying another pair or two, because they will almost surely stop making them at some point.

May 12, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #3,969 of 4,538
I wish I was as wise as you :slight_smile:
Spent the last 4 years trying to find something better than Pro 82 - only found Pro 82 v2 :jecklinsmile:

Sure, Stax 009 beats Pro 82 v2 (slightly, mostly in soundstage - it's an open headphone after all), but the other 6-7 $1000+ headphones/earphones I have bought, get no use whatsoever...
This hobby can get very expensive, if you don't know when to stop. Hopefully, my experience will prevent other people from wasting their time and money, chasing the next best thing. Sometimes you need to stop and appreciate what you have.
If it wasn't for you, I'd still be wasting money searching. I can't tell you how many headphones I tried over the past 16 years.

The only headphones that came close, in terms of sound quality for price, were the Grado SR80s...but the durability of the Takstars is levels above Grado. The removable plug on the Takstars makes a HUGE difference. The Takstars are also much more comfortable (both the earpads and the headband), have three bass modes, and the cups swivel so nicely. Just no comparison in terms of construction.

Oh, and you get that nice case! :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #3,971 of 4,538
and???

May 17, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #3,974 of 4,538
according to this article, a balanced cable won't improve my sound...because none of my devices (computers, DAPs, cellphone) have a balanced output:
https://magroove.com/blog/en-us/balanced-cables/

"If you don’t have devices capable of generating and receiving balanced signals, there will be no benefits whatsoever."

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #3,975 of 4,538

Users who are viewing this thread

Back