Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 15, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #2,297 of 4,538
Received mine today, and I plugged it into my FiiO E10K to try out.

After trying out stockpads, I changed them to the brainwaz hm5 angled pads. This is an absolute must in my opinion for both comfort and improvement in SQ (to me at least). Slight increase in sound stage and it really helps the bass extend low past 40 hz.

Bass reaches far but lack quantity, which I sort of suspected as BenF noted they are fairly balanced. I run them with the bassboost on (via FiiO E10K) and also boost 5 db at 40 hz Q0.8 and preamp down -5db. Bass is tight and improves the reverb/slam quality without over bloating.
Mids are very slightly recessed but very present. Reminds me of DT770 PRO 80ohm
Treble - Initial listen the treble is a bit hot for my taste and sounds sibiliant with certain songs. Gonna need some more seat time before I draw any conclusions.

In total, after a few hours of listen, I'd put them in the category that would compete against the ATH-50X and the DT 770 pro 80ohm. With all the ports open, the signature changes too much where it veils around the 3 khz to around 6 khz. I find that leaving one port open and EQ'ing the rest keeps it neat and tidy sonically without sacrificing clarity. Will follow up later with at least a week of usage.

Hey man how did you replace the pads?

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #2,298 of 4,538
Thank you for the impressions!
Are you listening with FIIO's bass boost (4-5dB boost), 5dB EQ bass boost and one bass port open(3dB boost)?
You must be the king of bassheads! :jecklinsmile:

I don't think Pro 82 is a good choice for such extreme bassheads though - elevating the bass so much hurts the rest of the frequencies too much, even treble.
Opening ports doesn't just boost bass compared to the rest of FR - it also makes the other frequencies less controlled - that's why the treble may now appear "hot".
I am surprised that you still like Pro 82.

Can you do me a favor?
Put back the original pads, close the bass ports, don't EQ anything - just leave the FIIO's bass boost on.
Listen like this for a couple of days - do not adjust anything!
Then implement your changes again - you might recognize enough deficiencies in the sound now to not like the modifications anymore.

With the default pads and closed bass ports, I hear/feel 15-20Hz with no problem at all - maybe you need the extra boost because of the HM5 pads and open bass ports.

Anyway, it's super useful to have impressions of a proper basshead - I will add a link to your impressions in one of the reserved posts on top.
He is (@Peicille ) making fun of the headphone lol

1. I think stock pads are way better than HM5 on foam density

2. On one port open, they have way higher distortion compared to both ports or no ports. Solderdude measurement and I have tried.

3. These pair blows my flagship so ath m50x dont compare. Dt770 32ohm modded can, only in PRaT.

4. (Not to @Peicille )My only issue is PRaT or cumulative decay, fix that with even better diaphragm membrane, stronger magnet and a lighter coil and reduced dB(stronger mags leads to dB rise).

5. Spend some time with pure stock once.

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #2,299 of 4,538
I'm thinking of getting one of these. I like most music types but metal and hip hop mostly. I intend to use them in work with an iPod touch and a portable amp. Would these be a good purchase for me?

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #2,300 of 4,538
I'm thinking of getting one of these. I like most music types but metal and hip hop mostly. I intend to use them in work with an iPod touch and a portable amp. Would these be a good purchase for me?
Bro, the tuning is something like STAX L300 limited but with slight sparkle.

Soundstage can go intimate when needed and expansive when the music demands..

The issue is seal with glass, body construction(for me) and decay here and there which can make it weird on very few tracks(but I enjoy)

It doesn't force details like Senn and LCD4.

And the PRaT....
Pace, Rhythm and Timing

Timing and Pace is only the issue.

Rap God by Eminem on supersonic Rap part can go haywire on Pace on the bass department.

But 98% of general track goes well

Sound Image is precise on centre but have the ability not sound narrow.

Not today by BTS is example.

It sells because of tuning and tuning only. There is nothing more in the headphone(except of the aluminum case).

Tuning is something you find on flagship headphones. Or something in beyond flagship.

Treble is love and mids are godly(100Hz to 3kHz). There was specific dip beyond 3kHz because driver was ringing(old takstar pro82). This decay with a specific dip makes vocals forward but with space sense.

The only upgrade to these are Focal elix(weird elix, but its okay)

Focal elix takes takstar and Senn HD660 and fuse it and then add the focal utopia like stage.

Senn HD660 is master of image, focal utopia is soundstage master(bigger than HD800) and Takstar are all rounder.

My wish was even tighter decay and better sealing pad(these pads are way amazing on comfort but my spectacle creates issue if I dont adjust these)

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #2,301 of 4,538
Thanks for the description friend. I notice there are several models with different numbers at the end of the description. Are they the same?
I'm thinking of using it with iPod touch 6th gen, what portable amp would you recommend?

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #2,302 of 4,538
Thanks for the description friend. I notice there are several models with different numbers at the end of the description. Are they the same?
I'm thinking of using it with iPod touch 6th gen, what portable amp would you recommend?
ESS DAC gives them detailing and makes this enjoying headphone accurate that's why people prefer ESS DAC with these

AK DAC will make them smooth and more warm

I use Benchmark DAC 2 for my usage at home. I know you dont want that

Go for IDEA DAC as everybody

Or if my way

IBasso DX200 and periapt cable(it just look good in toxic purple cable)

And if something between and cheaper

Make the agdr cmoy yourself. That would be the ultimate investment as it is cmoy by name, otherwise it a mini O2 with some technicality above nwavguy O2

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #2,303 of 4,538
One last question, are these better than m40x?

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #2,305 of 4,538
Cool, is there anything different between black and silver models?

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #2,309 of 4,538
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-technica/ath-m40x/

M40x

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/takstar-pro-82/

Takstar pro82

as you can see in the graph

M40x modified is less bassy and less trebly to takstar but goes well to neutral with good comfortable soundstage

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/final/d8000/

Final audio d8000

as you can see that it is better than even the D8000 on the tuning department

Takstar(new) is something which is just boosted right.

old one is not that great

Attachments

• ATH-M40X modifications.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #2,310 of 4,538
black color is for sure the v2

silver can be the v1 or v2..
That is incorrect. Both black and silver colors are available in all versions. This whole thread started based on black color v1 of Pro 82.

Color of the box (v1 white, v2 black) and cable connector (v1 silver, v2 black) changed between versions, but colors of the headphone itself remained the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back