Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 18, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #2,268 of 4,538
I don't know what is going on with these headphones. BenF talks about how amazing they are, links to comparisons with 10x more expensive headphones that sometimes say Takstar are better. Something is wrong with the picture.

Pro 82 is a good sounding headphone for its price range but not that good. I dont own many "higher end" headphones but i have demoed and tried quite a few and Pro 82´s SQ is not quite on that level that i would expect from 300-500€ closed backs, for example. I think they are able to give some competition to 100-150€/$, perhaps even 200€/$ headphones but after that its going to be pretty tough for them.

And just because someone prefers headphone over the other doesnt mean that they are technically equal or have any right to belong to the same price ranges, someone might prefer Beats Studios over Sennheiser HD 800 but that doesnt make Beats compete with 1000€ headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,269 of 4,538
I've had quite a lot of fun in the last couple weeks, taking my Pro 82/Perun/L300 against some heavy hitters:
upload_2018-10-19_15-59-54.png

upload_2018-10-19_16-1-25.png

upload_2018-10-19_16-2-32.png

upload_2018-10-19_16-3-8.png

upload_2018-10-19_16-7-25.png

Fun, fun, fun...

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #2,273 of 4,538
Hi! very sorry for bumping like this but it's a big thread and I have some trouble finding info I want.
What is the official aliexpress purchase link, so I can avoid fakes?
I think there was headfi discount code few months ago right?
I have Koss Porta pro, so this is my open budget endgame. Just looking for something good closed. I do have e10k but does it play loud enough with onboard realtek? (2nd pair for friemd)

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #2,274 of 4,538
Hi! very sorry for bumping like this but it's a big thread and I have some trouble finding info I want.
I have Koss Porta pro, so this is my open budget endgame. Just looking for something good closed. I do have e10k but does it play loud enough with onboard realtek? (2nd pair for friemd)

You have the most relevant info in post #1 of this thread, collected by @BenF.

Don’t know for sure if the discount coupon is still valid (I guess yes), but given that 11/11 is coming pretty soon, better to wait a bit for further discounts on Ali?

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #2,275 of 4,538
is pro82 still comparable to its neighbor like hd800, utopia, or z1r?
Never heard HD800, but I heard HD800S through Oppo HA-2 (DAC) with Beyerdynamic A2(Amp) - didn't impress me at all. Could be just a wrong chain for it.
Impressions on that experience?? :L3000:
Will post impressions on Utopia, Clear, Z1R, Z7, Cascade, ATH-W5000, ATH-AD2000X, Ether C Flow, Pioneer SE-Master 1, Sennheiser HD820 and Abyss AB1266

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #2,276 of 4,538
I posted a brief comparison between the HD 58X, Audeze Mobius, and Takstar Pro 82 over in the main Audeze thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-71#post-14502561

Update: After allowing more burn-in on the Sennheiser HD58X and also removing the foam, they have really opened up, supplanting the Takstar Pro 82 as my daily driver. More detail and more expansive soundstage and headroom. The Takstar still have more bass impact, but the loss of detail and soundstage is noticeable. Also, deeper sub-bass on the 58X, just not as much of it.

I still think the ~$75 Pro 82 edges out the $149 58X as far as overall bang for the buck, but I think the 58X can compete at a higher level. I still have no qualms having extra sets of Pro 82 for my car and computer rig, but for qualitative extended listening sessions, I go with the 58X, although the Pro 82 is still infinitely more comfortable on the head.

Can't go wrong with either for the price, really.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #2,277 of 4,538
The Koss Porta Pro will sound bassy or too warm, close to dark after you give the Pro 82 a listen. I also had the KPPro awhile back but unfortunately sold it, there are mods that changes its SQ but didn't bother with it, but the looks are so retro they take me back to the 90s. Also get a good sounding chain, a budget dap and amp would most probably do these cans justice. My chain includes a Modded ZiShan Z3 (upgraded capacitors, rollable low-pass filter) + Jazz R7.8 Headphone amp with Rollable Opamp and No one has ever said anything negative about my current chain, it just sounds great, I have compared it to 200usd headphones but I still chose the Pro 82 hands down.

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #2,278 of 4,538
Never heard HD800, but I heard HD800S through Oppo HA-2 (DAC) with Beyerdynamic A2(Amp) - didn't impress me at all. Could be just a wrong chain for it.
It is very interesting that even though I didn't have HD800, the sonic quality is well imagined and understood in such way that I always concluded not buying them.
Many of the owners said the all other gears to support hd-800 should be carefully selected and likely expensive, which means if I bought it, then highly likely I need to spend a lot to satisfy the phones.
The same experience of my he-6 for demand of high power and expensive amplifier to get decent sonic quality, was one of the worst experience of this head-fi-ing.
This amp pickiness of hd800 is due to the usual polymer membrane speaker cone with fixed surround, which is the same construction of pro-82 basically.
Recent great phones like Utopia, Th-900, Nighthawk/owl, and many other phones are all constructed based on stiffer cone ( metal or biocelluose) with floated surround or frame, and they are independent of the amplifier or Dac.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #2,279 of 4,538
After a thousand years of waiting and choosing (not quite tho) I've received my first audiophile combo: Takstar Pro 82, DAC xu208+dsd1796 (from aliexpress). Can actually recommend this DAC.
SAOMAI-XMOS-XU208-APTX-Bluetooth-CSR8670-Coaxial-Optical-fiber-USB-DSD1796-Digital-Audio-Dac-Headphone-Amplifier.jpg

I have Sennheiser hd280pro (old one), HD518, HyperX Cloud and Razer Kraken to compare with. Gonna have a few words on these headphones.

First one is hd280pro (I would call it just "s#%^") that broke after a year of listening (one driver is dead).
-You may ask, "Where's the earpads leather of that quality brand headphones?"
-I answer, "On my floor".
HD518 just sounds bad to me (I know you can fix it to make sounds closer to hd598 with the same driver but anyway).
Thank you, Sennheiser. Have a nice day.

Krakens are garbage so there's nothing to talk about. I bought it only because of USB. Have to notice that my head is too big so I broke it 3 times (btw Razer RMAing it everytime).

HyperX Cloud are the first headphones I like.
I would say pro 82 sounds more clear than Clouds but the best part of pro82 is the bass (It's the boss). I really happy with how Queen sounds now.

There's one problem of pro 82. It's build quality. Headphones are looks too easy to break.
One of my height regulators is weak so one side pops out when I shake headphones a little bit (maybe you know the way to fix that?).
I've heard you can't remove earpads because It's glued... So sweet (sweat)... (btw Clouds come with the "summer" earpads and I like it so much)

Other things are said already. So that's all. Cya.
I want to buy such a dac https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/2016...ort-DSD64-256-PCM-32Bit-384k/32759898342.html How is it in volume with these headphones?

Nov 2, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #2,280 of 4,538
Impressions on that experience?? :L3000:
Sorry for delay, I think I may have overcommitted myself to a concert going experience - 12 concerts in 24 days, not much time is left - since I also have to put in full day of work 5 days a week.
Last week did a 1700 mile road trip for 3 concerts, got 3 more concerts this week and 5 more next one...

But let's get back to the battle of the giants.
It was a bloodbath, some results were a complete surprise, some were a "no duh" kind of experience.
The important part - I didn't walk away empty-handed...

My main target was Sennheiser HD820, I was hoping it would be a clear upgrade to Pro 82, and was prepared to buy it on the spot.
I auditioned it through HDV820 (used as DAC/Amp), which in my mind meant that this combo should provide the best sound, after all Sennheiser created them for each other.
So synergy should be off the charts, right?
I bet you have noticed the italics on "hoping"...

HD820 was a complete disappointment, especially from HDV820.
Bass quality ranged between songs, sometimes too dry, sometimes too hallow, sometimes perfect. Pro 82 is much more consistent.
Vocals often sounded shouty, especially male ones. Both male and female vocals had the wrong timbre, too colored.
Soundstage is quite big, larger than Pro 82
Imaging isn't as good as Pro 82.
Transparency - not even close, Pro 82 rules. I didn't feel present at the concert venue, music always felt like a reproduction.
Comfort - HD820 feels very comfortable at first, but after 1.5 hours I felt the pressure on my cheeks. Pro 82 takes this one.

Then I tried my Oppos as DAC/amp instead of HDV820.
Through Oppo HA2-SE and HA2 HD820 sounds more lively, but vocals are still off (although less). On HA-2 the timbre is almost perfect (HA-2SE has a colored amp).
Bass quality is much better! How is this possible? How can a 300$ battery/USB powered DAC/Amp produce better bass than a desktop 2400$ DAC/Amp, specifically tuned for HD820?
What kind of magic is that?

Using Ha-2(SE) as a DAC with HDV820 improves the bass further, timbre improves too - imperfect still, but close - as good as from HA-2.
Looks like the main problem in HDV820 is the DAC part. It's supposed to be some kind of a Sabre chip, but it doesn't sound like one.
It was too heavily tuned - I guess Alex Grell wanted to stay away as far as possible from the original HD800 signature with elevated highs, so he toned them down and raised the bass.

Best timbre I was able to achieve from HD820 was with HA-2SE + 02 (bass was as good as from HA-2).

With or without O2, the Oppos destroyed HDV820 when driving HD820.
Pro 82 still has a clear advantage in transparency and timbre, no matter what combination of DAC/Amp was used.

Conclusion: HD820 isn't the better version of Pro 82, it's not even in the running. It looks much better than it sounds. Of course, it offered no competition to L300 and Perun either.

I'll post other comparisons later (not today).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back