Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #2,236 of 4,538
I received my pair of these last week, I like the little case they come in very neat.
I brought them based of the frequency graph knowing I like the sound of the slight U curve.
The large soundstage was surprising considering the smaller drivers and ear cups, very clear and detailed as the frequency graph suggests only 1 sharp dip at 4k. The lower frequencys sounded wrong at first sounded a bit thin and not very dynamic, so I tried the 2nd position on the bass switch with the port open, it sounds so much better large dynamic sounding bass.

"Distortion levels (3rd order which is a ‘clipping’ kind of distortion) in the lower frequencies are quite high but is as expected from smaller diameter drivers.
This clipping alike distortion is caused by the enclosure being fully closed and the air trapped inside can’t move as freely. This restricts the maximum excursion of the driver membrane which shows itself as 3rd harmonic distortion (clipping).
Percentages above 1% are generally audible. 5% third harmonic is definitely audible".

Your gonna get the best sounding bass with the port or ports open.

A detailed review of the takstar pro 82 and v1/v2 comparisons with measurements is here
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/takstar-pro-82/

Sep 22, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #2,238 of 4,538
I prefer the takstar to my superlux headphones, hd681 , hd681evo , hd662. The takstar has a simlar frequency responce to the hd668b but with much better low end extension plus the option to change this with the switches, even though the superlux is open backed the takstar has a large soundstage for a closed headphone, plus the takstar measures better in disortion and ringing than most the superlux headphones.

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #2,239 of 4,538
Your gonna get the best sounding bass with the port or ports open.
I disagree. It’s a fact that people tend to enjoy the Pro 82 with the bass port at middle position at first, but after some listening time it’s very easy to realize that the best low-freq quality is with the port fully closed. Bass port fully open (2 notches) is useless IMO.

Sep 22, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #2,240 of 4,538
I prefer the takstar to my superlux headphones, hd681 , hd681evo , hd662. The takstar has a simlar frequency responce to the hd668b but with much better low end extension plus the option to change this with the switches, even though the superlux is open backed the takstar has a large soundstage for a closed headphone, plus the takstar measures better in disortion and ringing than most the superlux headphones.
Interesting.
I feel that pro 82 is lacking something, in comparison with Superlux 668b so that pro 82 is not richer than 668b.
I am listening to big band where pro 82 has a missing, and losing taste of fullness.
For small band both are very good.

Sep 22, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2,241 of 4,538
I disagree. It’s a fact that people tend to enjoy the Pro 82 with the bass port at middle position at first, but after some listening time it’s very easy to realize that the best low-freq quality is with the port fully closed. Bass port fully open (2 notches) is useless IMO.

The port changes both the quantity and quality of the bass, I can understand quantity wise how this might be preferred, the 5% 3rd harmonic distortion changes the tone of bass to me this makes it sound wrong and a bit off to me, but if your music has little low frequency content or you listen at low levels your not gonna hit the drivers max excursion and get the distortion.

Interesting.
I feel that pro 82 is lacking something, in comparison with Superlux 668b so that pro 82 is not richer than 668b.
I am listening to big band where pro 82 has a missing, and losing taste of fullness.
For small band both are very good.

The takstar pro 82 has pretty much nothing lacking apart from a small sharp dip at 4k, the superlux has a similar dip at 4k smaller but wider. the superlux is has a large drop in bass after 50hz so its the superlux thats lacking something.

Sep 22, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #2,242 of 4,538
The port changes both the quantity and quality of the bass, I can understand quantity wise how this might be preferred, the 5% 3rd harmonic distortion changes the tone of bass to me this makes it sound wrong and a bit off to me, but if your music has little low frequency content or you listen at low levels your not gonna hit the drivers max excursion and get the distortion.

The takstar pro 82 has pretty much nothing lacking apart from a small sharp dip at 4k, the superlux has a similar dip at 4k smaller but wider. the superlux is has a large drop in bass after 50hz so its the superlux thats lacking something.
Sometimes the mind plays tricks on you.

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #2,245 of 4,538
Well yesterday my old Pro 80 clone blew out so I will be ordering the Pro 82 from amazon soon. I had tried to order months ago with other sellers, but they always refused payment so it's a good thing amazon is selling them now.

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #2,246 of 4,538
I was referring to @Joong
Both of them pro-82 and 668b have mylar based speaker membranes which are not stiff enough so that those are subjected to standing waves on top of true voice coil message.
They are unpredictable compared to stiffer cone shape of paper or cellulose speaker.
Both of them are too thin to control the standing waves, which are generated by boundary condition formed by acoustic camber which is your ear, pad, speaker, leakage and etc.
Those make so unpredictable that every one might have different opinion on the same phone.
Ah, yes these standing wave might be easily generated by small contents of particulat triggering frequency associated by your particular audio chain where those membrane weak to resist against for standing wave at that frequency, that breaks tonal balance.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2,247 of 4,538
There are 3 solutions for those problem:
1. Electro static driver
2. Planar driver
3. Dynamic driver of Stiff cone with high magnetic flux voice coil motor, 1 tesla or above.
Those are usually expensive.
Otherwise, we need some good luck of engineering on Mylar type dynamic driver that some time brought us a miracle, we called it a giant killer.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #2,249 of 4,538
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #2,250 of 4,538
I posted a brief comparison between the HD 58X, Audeze Mobius, and Takstar Pro 82 over in the main Audeze thread.
Nice comparison @heavyharmonies, thanks for sharing.

Although I find this following inequality equation a bit puzzling:
Bass extension:

Audeze >> Sennheiser >> Takstar
:thinking:
I always believed that open-back dynamic headphones tend to roll off bass below certain cufoff frequency, by intrinsic limitations in their design. What’s the trick with the HD58X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back