Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,216 of 4,536
Working with custom 2.5 trrs to 2.5 trrs balanced cable. :D

Connected to 30r balanced out.
IMG_20180201_155305.jpg

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #1,218 of 4,536
I received my pair 2 weeks ago and the right side is a lot quieter than the left :frowning2: and takstar doesn't want to replace it. They kept telling me to burn it in and it'll be even. And I've had atleast 100 hrs burn in on it now

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #1,219 of 4,536
I received my pair 2 weeks ago and the right side is a lot quieter than the left :frowning2: and takstar doesn't want to replace it. They kept telling me to burn it in and it'll be even. And I've had atleast 100 hrs burn in on it now
If it's significantly imbalanced (2-3dB is normal), it should be replaced.
Sometimes I have this issue if I don't plug the cable all the way in, somebody else on the thread had a similar experience - are you sure it's not that?
Which store did you buy it at?

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #1,220 of 4,536
If it's significantly imbalanced (2-3dB is normal), it should be replaced.
Sometimes I have this issue if I don't plug the cable all the way in, somebody else on the thread had a similar experience - are you sure it's not that?
Which store did you buy it at?
Yeah, it's significantly imbalanced. I've plugged in all the way in. I bought it at the actual Takstar Ali store.

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,221 of 4,536
Yeah, it's significantly imbalanced. I've plugged in all the way in. I bought it at the actual Takstar Ali store.
You do mean the TakstarAudio store, right?
Weird. Maybe they hired some intern that wasn't schooled yet in customer relations?

Just write to them that you have burned it in over 100 hours, and the problem remains the same.
If they don't replace it - open a dispute, your chances to win are pretty good.

Probably one of the drivers got damaged during shipping - it can happen, no big deal.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,222 of 4,536
You do mean the TakstarAudio store, right?
Weird. Maybe they hired some intern that wasn't schooled yet in customer relations?

Just write to them that you have burned it in over 100 hours, and the problem remains the same.
If they don't replace it - open a dispute, your chances to win are pretty good.

Probably one of the drivers got damaged during shipping - it can happen, no big deal.
Yeah. TakstarAudio store. I've told them the exact same thing but all they keep saying is that they test the product before shipping out and there shouldn't be any problem. lol

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,223 of 4,536
Yeah. TakstarAudio store. I've told them the exact same thing but all they keep saying is that they test the product before shipping out and there shouldn't be any problem. lol
Did you confirm order received? If yes - how long ago?

Feb 1, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,225 of 4,536
TL;DR Out of the box current gen Pro82s sounded mid forward, lifeless, and had distorted anemic bass. 1 minute and 2 cotton balls later my Pro 82s are exceeding expectations and living up to the hype. Listening to these on my Topping D30 has been a joy for the last few hours. I've yet to find a track to throw at these they don't excel at. Amp wise they don't seem to care too much between my A30 with the Burson V5i op amps and my much cheaper SMSL SAP-VI.

So I got the newer version of the Pro82s about a week ago. I broke them in out of habit but didn't notice any appreciable change in the sound. Very different from my B8s which changed dramatically. My impressions over the last week were that these were mid forward, bass anemic headphones. They sounded good on some tracks but on anything that required bass below 75hz (most of what I listen to) sounded lifeless. When changing the slider to the middle position this changed and the headphones sounded much flatter. The bass response improved dramatically and they no longer sounded lifeless. Songs went back to sounding more or less the way I'm used to. That said this did impact the bass quality and seemed to have an impact on the mids as well.

I was confused because none of this was what I was expecting from reading this thread or even when I tried to make sense of the Z review (I get it they are comfy but really?).

So catching up on this thread (I've been sick with an illness that doesn't effect my ability to hear sound). I noticed that the newer version has a thinner pad than the older version. Also apparently there has been a change of some sort to the driver which I can confirm mine has. Being super lazy and still not feeling well I decided to play with the pads in the quickest/easiest way I know. I unrolled 2 cotton balls and stuffed 1 under each pad in a "C" shape around the back side for the ear cup then had another listen.

My Pro82s just came to life. With the "mod" to the ear pad the sound signature is much more what I was expecting. The mid forward aspect to the sound signature is just gone. The bass no longer completely changes with the slider open to the middle setting. It's much more subtle and on the closed setting I actually have bass below 75hz. The headphones have gone from mid forward bass anemic headphones to nearly flat and if anything slightly warm sounding.

My impressions of the Takstar Pro 82s are now much more similar to what I've read here from others. Excellent sound stage for a closed headphone, great imaging, nothing "wrong" with the sound. I almost always here something in a pair of headphones that I consider "wrong". Something that needs to be modded (usually internally) or I can't enjoy the headphones. I guess that's technically the case there as it took 2 cotton balls to "fix" the sound. I hope subsequent generations of the Pro 82s go back to the original pads and I can order some as replacements. I'm going to hold off on ordering another pair for a few months to see if this is the case. In the mean time I'm going to try out the hair curler mod as I hate the cotton balls as a long term solution.

Edit: Picture as per @bunkbail request
Excellent impressions, added to post #3

... I noticed that the newer version has a thinner pad than the older version. Also apparently there has been a change of some sort to the driver which I can confirm mine has.
Pads are the same in all Pro 82s, plus/minus small variations in production.
The "change" in the driver is likely a different paint job.
Check Jellofund's post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iscussion-thread.849965/page-78#post-14006524
He says that his "new" Pro 82 with 1.6m cable sounds like my "old" Pro 82 with 2.2m cable - which comes from the very first batch.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,227 of 4,536
Excellent impressions, added to post #3

Pads are the same in all Pro 82s, plus/minus small variations in production.
The "change" in the driver is likely a different paint job.
Check Jellofund's post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iscussion-thread.849965/page-78#post-14006524
He says that his "new" Pro 82 with 1.6m cable sounds like my "old" Pro 82 with 2.2m cable - which comes from the very first batch.

Interesting. Maybe it's just the way they sealed on my head that caused the variance and my need to adjust the pad. My experience closely mirrored the one in this post by @peter123 and I assumed it was an issue with the latest generation or Pro 82s. Whatever the reason adjusting the pad seemed to fix it for me. Thank you for leading the hype train on this headphone as I can safely say at this point that after a week of disappointment (and little use) mine are now living up to the hype.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #1,228 of 4,536
No, I didn't but I can still open a dispute.
Even after confirming the order, you still would have 14 days to open a dispute - it's important to understand Ali's rules.
I think the store will be a lot more likely to cooperate if you'll make it crystal clear to them that you want to replace Pro 82 and not to return it for refund - it will prove that you are not trying to game the system.
You still want a good one, right? :wink:

Anyway, you still have at least 2 weeks while you can open a dispute - just don't forget to confirm delivery before purchase protection runs out.
This will get resolved, it's just a question of how and when.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #1,229 of 4,536
Still waiting on my 82's to arrive but in the meantime I managed to get a FiiO E06 on eBay for £18.99, also got the ELE EL-D01 off Amazon for £11. Pretty hyped now, hopefully they arrive soon. Thanks BenF & co for guiding me along the way to my first proper Head-fi get-up :p.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #1,230 of 4,536
Interesting. Maybe it's just the way they sealed on my head that caused the variance and my need to adjust the pad. My experience closely mirrored the one in this post by @peter123 and I assumed it was an issue with the latest generation or Pro 82s. Whatever the reason adjusting the pad seemed to fix it for me. Thank you for leading the hype train on this headphone as I can safely say at this point that after a week of disappointment (and little use) mine are now living up to the hype.

In what way did you adjust the pads, just on your head or by changing something on the actual headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

• BenF
Back