Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 6, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #871 of 4,537
firmware/driver issues was before last win10 update. sabaj da3 drivers are all fine now
I am running the latest Windows 10 update and XMOS 4.11 driver.
Sometimes DA3 stops producing sound, even though it still appears in the "Playback devices" as the default device, and is used by the system.
DA3 itself is still turned on and responds to the buttons.
Disconnecting and reconnecting the device seems to solve the problem.

it powers just the right amount of my dt990 250ohms.. maybe i need even more power.

Will it be the same on takstar 82? i plan on selling my dt990 for grab money
Even if i have very loud volume with only sabaj, will it improve if i put O2?
DA3 has plenty of power for Pro 82, the question is - will it have the same synergy with O2 as Idea does?

Isnt O2 like 15years old tech and there is nothing better these days?
O2 amp is 6 years old.
You can probably do better, but not for 99$:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-21-how-insensitive-part-3

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #873 of 4,537
im thinking on buying idsd nano BL, u think will be good upgrade for DA3 and good for Pro82?

Pro 82 sounds very good with DA3.
I have the regular (non-"BL") iDSD Nano, and it's nothing special. I doubt they have done any miracles with SQ, especially considering how much work they had to put into all the new features.
Anyway, it costs more than Idea+O2, so why bother?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #874 of 4,537
I have the regular (non-"BL") iSDS Nano, and it's nothing special. I doubt they have done any miracles with SQ, especially considering how much work they had to put into all the new features.
Does DA3 sounds better than iDEA+O2 combo with the Pro 82?

Jan 7, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #875 of 4,537
Does DA3 sounds better than iDEA+O2 combo with the Pro 82?

Not better or even as good, sorry. Synergy is elusive and unpredictable.
DA3 has a very clean output, much cleaner than Idea. As a standalone DAC/amp, it's a better fit for Pro 82 than HA-2, Idea or NX4 DSD.
It has a high output impedance - 10 Ohm, which creates impedance mismatch with Pro 82 (32 Ohm)
Here is how NwAvGuy describes impact of such mismatch:
upload_2018-1-7_21-46-27.png

http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.il/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

I have to admit, I enjoy this combo's bass. The loss of bass control didn't result in a truly "boomy" bass - there was too much control to begin with for that.
The bass became "meatier" and with longer decay, but not "boomy" of "flabby".
It closely emulates TH900MK2's bass (but not 100%) now.
Everything else is lovely too - mids are warmer than HA-2, but not as warm as Idea.
Treble is clean, soundstage is wider than Idea, but not as wide as Idea+O2.

Impedance mismatch with TH900MK2 (25 Ohm) is even greater for DA3, and since TH900MK2's bass isn't as tight, DA3 does result in a "boomy" uncontrolled bass.

However, when connected to O2, bass control is back - so Pro 82 is showing off what a "tight" bass is.
Now, because DA3's output is so clean (almost as clean as HA-2), it sounds great - but not magical as Idea + O2.
It lacks the dynamism and punch of that combo.
Just a great clear sound.

I would recommend people to stick to buying Idea+O2, and later, if they want to get a hint of TH900MK2's bass (or just want to experience clearer sound) - they can buy DA3.
If you can't afford both Idea and O2 immediately, start with Idea and start saving for O2 - it's truly a combination worth a wait (for Pro 82).
I'll certainly keep listening through Idea+O2, maybe switching to DA3 for some AC/DC - it's easier than taking the Fostex out of the box.

Jan 7, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #878 of 4,537
I have the regular (non-"BL") iSDS Nano, and it's nothing special. I doubt they have done any miracles with SQ, especially considering how much work they had to put into all the new features.

Because Idea+O2 looks far, far clunkier, ad hoc-ish, and uglier on a desk? :smirk:

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #879 of 4,537
Because Idea+O2 looks far, far clunkier, ad hoc-ish, and uglier on a desk? :smirk:
Idea looks great on a desktop, even with two O2s:
upload_2018-1-7_23-58-10.png

iDSD is only marginally smaller than O2, and Idea is vanishingly small, and is easier to use as a standalone DAC/Amp with a smartphone than iDSD, which is quite bulky.
Idea is so small, that it almost looks like part of a cable.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #880 of 4,537

iDSD is only marginally smaller than O2, and Idea is vanishingly small, and is easier to use a DAC/Amp than iDSD, which is quite bulky.

Different strokes... In this pic, it just looks like someone forgot to put it up and left it out accidentally. :upside_down:

Color clashes terribly and it just doesn't look like it belongs. As far as it being part of a cable, I'd hate that even worse, since cables themselves kind of annoy me and almost always look messy to me -- something the big and chunky (with respect to cables) adding to the cable mess would just be even more of an eyesore.

That manly STAX stack, on the other hand... that just looks so LEGIT. :L3000:

Jan 7, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #881 of 4,537

iDSD is only marginally smaller than O2, and Idea is vanishingly small, and is easier to use as a standalone DAC/Amp with a smartphone than iDSD, which is quite bulky.

Oh yes, forgot to add this: definitely, I can appreciate sleek and small, and you're right that iDSD is bulky, relative to the Idea most especially, but the thing is, Idea is so small relative to the O2 that it just looks sloppy, it seems out of place, like someone left a small lighter on top your O2. :deadhorse:

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #882 of 4,537
Oh yes, forgot to add this: definitely, I can appreciate sleek and small, and you're right that iDSD is bulky, relative to the Idea most especially, but the thing is, Idea is so small relative to the O2 that it just looks sloppy, it seems out of place, like someone left a small lighter on top your O2. :deadhorse:
I don't use it on top of O2, that's where I keep NS-02. I only put it up there to show how tiny it is.
Regular setup looks more like this:
upload_2018-1-8_1-1-26.png

...Color clashes terribly and it just doesn't look like it belongs.
You can buy a black one:
upload_2018-1-8_1-3-8.png

... As far as it being part of a cable, I'd hate that even worse, since cables themselves kind of annoy me and almost always look messy to me -- something the big and chunky (with respect to cables) adding to the cable mess would just be even more of an eyesore.
Maybe the camera adds 10 pounds, I don't know - in real life it doesn't look that big compared to the 3.5mm plug.
It Idea didn't reset its volume every time you plug it in (hearing safety - appreciated!), you could shove it in the O2 enclosure and be done with it.
Maybe you can glue/tape it on the back/side of O2...

That manly STAX stack, on the other hand... that just looks so LEGIT. :L3000:
Ironic - I listen to Takstar 90% of the time, yet there are 4 e-stat amps in that picture, and only 3 regular ones.

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #883 of 4,537
I don't use it on top of O2, that's where I keep NS-02. I only put it up there to show how tiny it is.

Well, it looks even worse in that configuration, to my eyes. It just looks... messy, it doesn't fit in. Having it in black would help a little but it would still just look out of place to me. But, anyway, like I said, different strokes for different folks. :beerchug:

But in fairness, I also have a setup that I don't find visually appealing; my Samson QH4 I find ugly and tacky on my desk, but I live with it for the convenience of its functionality. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back