Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 14, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,411 of 4,538
Solderdude is pretty neutral with his views. He measures very accurately and takes these things very seriously, but he also tinges his reviews with subjective views as well. The FR is probably very accurate as is the difference between left and right earcups that he saw. Those are things that need to be looked out for.

That article was full of hate so I will not call it pretty neutral. After reading all it looks like Takstar pro82 are nothing special, and they are good for nothing, except for youngsters who are monitoring music for yt on the go. He should at least pretend to be objective, and not to say that there are other headphones in that price range without mentioning even one name of these headphones.
He also says that the silver one is not necessarily a fake, just a different version.
Here is quote from diyah forum: "The strange part is that there are (acc. to Takstar) possible fakes around and 'old' and new versions with the most obvious difference being cable length and box only ? "

Can someone give me link to that strange claim from Takstar about possible fakes?
He sees it very much as a headphone for monitoring rather than listening pleasure, which is possibly what it is actually designed for. I use a Sony MDR7506 to monitor because it does that job really well, but it's not really great for just music listening, unless you like that clinical, almost surgery linked type of sound.
"The ‘tone’ of this headphone is pleasant and slightly ‘fuller’ sounding than neutral..."

So what sounds unpleasant?

Maybe whole topic here about T82 is nothing more than mumbo jumbo, and you guys don't know anything about music. Why someone of you want to use monitoring headphones for music?

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,412 of 4,538
I've noticed that the headband extensions are very loose on my Pro 82s. I hardly have to pull on them at all and they extend very easily (maybe even too easily). If I hold the headphones from the top of the headband, the extensions will extend. This seems way to loose. Is anyone else's earcup extensions loose like this too? Or do I just have a poorly constructed pair. I can't seem to figure out a way to tighten the extension grips. Any ideas?

Mine don't extend by themselves but they are really loose. Not a problem for now, and hopefully it doesn't get worse over time.

They do sound a bit clinical and bright, but the soundstage and instrument separation is good and I like having a headphone like that especially for positioning and footsteps in gaming. They're not lifeless though, there's enough bass (atleast to me) and sparkle in the highs to keep them interesting. Not the most "fun" sound signature but it's what I expected coming from a Pro 80 which was also a bit dull.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #1,413 of 4,538
Mickey's Music - the site says something about the fact that there is a check for fakes suggests that fakes may well be around. Why would they do this if not?

I have to say, you have got Solderdude very wrong. He knows what he's talking about and has no 'hate' for any headphone. The Takstar is an 'OK' headphone and that sounds about right to me. I can't see why it's being viewed as so 'anti'.

I sometimes use a Takstar microphone and again, it's OK. Very cheap and a bit noisy, but for the money, it's fine.

Probably the same for the pro 82. Are you thinking that his measurements are incorrect, or just reading the text?

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #1,414 of 4,538
Well, each of us has a preference, and we should be able to look at the feedback given to get an idea of what to expect, and then compare that to our own tastes. If you don't like neutral headphones, these are not for you, simple. And the "fun" part, well... I personally enjoy them a lot, so in a sense, they are fun to me :) That's why I don't find that part to be particularly helpful to define them. But I think we can try to agree on a couple of general points. Here's my take on what's been said:
  • Strong highs, can be seen as slightly bright
  • OK mids
  • Precise and controlled bass, not boomy
  • Neutral, to some clinical
  • Excellent imaging
  • Good separation
  • Good stage for closed cans
  • Scalable with chain, and to some point, can have its tone a bit altered with proper chain
  • Decently mod-able
  • Great price/quality ratio (Less than 80€)
  • May have some quality variation
So, having that said, for the price, if you don't mind the neutral cans and want something scalable, these are amazing for the price. Personally, I find them amazing, the imaging on them and the type of sound is exactly what I wanted. Took me a bit to adapt to the more precise and non-boomy bass due to what I was used to, but it was totally worth it.
However, if you're used to darker or warmer cans, these are probably not for you. If you want boomy bass, this is probably not for you (you do have the ports, but it tends to ruin the control and precision of the bass). And that's perfectly fine!

Also, to answer to the question of "why are we not loosing our minds over possible quality variation", well... First, people are more forgiving with chinese-based material, because we know that QA tends to be less of a priority. Plus, to add to it, these are cheap as hell for what they offer, which helps a lot to it. If I'm getting sound quality you only find on cans of over 300$ on 80$, you think I'm going to lose my mind over it? NOPE! People need to balance these things in their heads, what I pay vs what I'm getting vs typical issues.

The Takstar is an 'OK' headphone and that sounds about right to me.

Out of curiosity, why do you say it's simply OK? What's the logic behind that statement? :)

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #1,415 of 4,538
Well, saying that an article is full of 'hate' is a bit over the top and I know that Solderdude knows exactly what he's doing.

An 'OK' headphone (like the microphones that they make) does the job that it's supposed to do, but not amongst the best. It may well be good for the price but that's about it. The Takstar microphones are OK, but they hiss like crazy, although the sound that they produce is good. I accept the 'hiss' because it's very cheap.

I guess, the pro 82 is a good value for money headphone? I use a Sony MDR7506 for monitoring and perhaps that's good value too, but not what I'd call a 'great' headphone for music.

I'm presuming that by 'scaleable' you're saying that they improve with better gear? In comparison to what?

I have no doubt that the Pro 82 is probably very 'fun' sounding although the bass switch might be better left closed. Nice to have something to fatten the sound up if needed though I guess.

I'm certain that they sound good at that price point, but there's no point in going over the top. I have a feeling that Solderdude's review is just very accurate and that's about it. Especially with the actual data that he's shown.

I don't see what's behind the description of a perfectly good review as 'full of hate'. That's over the top imo.

Same as the stuff about the possibility of fakes. Reactions seemed a bit over the top. I have seen quite a few fakes so what's the problem about a warning that there is a possibility because two headphones look different inside and there's a 'fake checking' system in place by Takstar themselves that comes up with a slight oddity?

I'm grateful to the guy who wrote that up, because if I bought one, I'd certainly be checking for the possibility as a result. I've already had a fake Portapro and AT MSR7 and they are often really poor. The AT was awful sounding in 'fake' form and yet, so many who bought from the same source described it as 'analytical' and 'exacting'........

I see that Amazon UK no longer sell the Pro 82 as from yesterday. I wonder why?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #1,416 of 4,538
Agree, full of hate is not what I see in the review. But what I think that riles up everyone is the conclusion (it kinda itches me too). What he says, in essence, is that these phones are merely for mobile use, and I'd say most people would disagree with that statement in here, pure and simply. In fact, these headphones, if not properly driven, tend to sound poor to only OK, and that's very easy to happen on a mobile phone. The conclusion tries to define them to a level that in the worst case scenario, could deter others looking for a more neutral scalable pair of cans to try them.

You could say that there are headphones a lot more expensive that can do an even better job, that's fine by me, and I accept that, I think everyone here, to a certain degree, can accept that (diminishing returns though, keeping that in mind). Saying that these are mobile-only headphones... Most will find a stretch. So it's probably best to clear that people won't find hate in the review, but won't understand its logic, and I'm one of those people.

Let me show you what I mean. Lets compare plots of the 82 Pro with, for example... HD650. I see a lot of people mentioning these, and it should be good competition.

Pro 82:
fr-black-11.png

HD650:
hd650-kameleon.png

We're comparing less than 80€ on the Pro 82 with over 300€ on the HD650 and , and what you have is the highs being more controlled, those highs on the 82 Pro are the highs almost going sibilant. Still, that's better than the 80 pro. And then you look at the amped version of the graphics:

82 Pro
120-ohm.png

HD650
hd650-new-pads-0-ohm-vs-120-ohm.png

And this gives you and idea of what is meant with the whole amp and DAC. The HD650 lose all the bass, while the 82 keeps it, plus, you get to control the 82 highs better. I'd say that depending on your preference, you could go either way.

Personally what really makes me wonder, is when you go into the more expensive recommendations on that site, and you look at the K550 as an example:
k550-stock.png

Or even the DT1770 Pro, at over 400€:
fr-dt1770.png

Seriously, let me get the 82 Pro again so we can see why I agree when people say the 82 pro sound more expensive:
fr-black-11.png

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... See what I mean? And the 82 are OK, and the K550/DT1770 are recommended, and I don't really get why.

Did he hate on them? No, i see no hate. But is it, at the very least, an unfair conclusion? I'd say yes, based on this data, because I can't see a justification as to why one is recommended and the other is not.
Well, he says that it's his opinion, and I take it as it is. But then, he's just as fallible as us when it comes to whether recommending them or not. And at least data-wise, I don't really understand why the 82 Pro would not be recommended :wink:

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #1,417 of 4,538
I get the numbers/graphs quantified comparisons, but they only tell part of the story. You can point at charts and say "headphone X is worse!" but those charts don't convey imaging, separation, detail, not to mention comfort/mechanical aspects, all of which are EXTREMELY subjective.

Some people will love the Pro 82 and others will hate it. There is no such thing as a universal grade/ranking/rating.

To me the big aspects of the Pro 82 are (1) the comfort, (2) the detail, and most importantly (3) ALL aspects when tied up in the pretty little bow of cost/value.

Would the same attributes be as worthy of being discussed if they cost $500? Or even $300? No. We wouldn't be talking about the Pro 82 anywhere near as much.

They were good enough for me to replace and sell my Fostex Mahogany X00, which cost $350 (over $400 if you include the aftermarket pads).

Perfect? Absolutely not. Damned good for the money? Hell yeah.

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #1,418 of 4,538
the site says something about the fact that there is a check for fakes suggests that fakes may well be around. Why would they do this if not?
I may be mistaken, but I don't know of any fake Fiio products being around. Yet, all Fiio products I have bought come with scratch code for verification of authenticity of their products. On the other hand, there are too many fakes of Sony and Xiaomi (earphones) products but they do not provide any codes for verification of authenticity/genuineness of their products. So just having a way to check does not necessarily mean that there are a lot of fakes around. In my opinion Pro 82 is too new and too little known to have spawned too may fakes.

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,419 of 4,538
Well, saying that an article is full of 'hate' is a bit over the top and I know that Solderdude knows exactly what he's doing.

I don't see what's behind the description of a perfectly good review as 'full of hate'. That's over the top imo.

Same as the stuff about the possibility of fakes. Reactions seemed a bit over the top. I have seen quite a few fakes so what's the problem about a warning that there is a possibility because two headphones look different inside and there's a 'fake checking' system in place by Takstar themselves that comes up with a slight oddity?

+1 on that... disagreeing with a conclusion is one thing, but characterizing it as "full of hate" seems silly to me, especially given that there seems to be a noted absence of any such emotional language in the review itself, which seems to completely demolish the charge of it being "full of hate."

Anyway, I like the Pro 82, in any case, and I do disagree with some of the review, but I have no reason to believe the measurements are wrong or that he has some kind of personal "hatred" against the 'phones.

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #1,420 of 4,538
In all honesty, the term that the guy who said it may be written that way because English may not be his first language.

I just think a fairer sense of perspective is needed when saying things so strong as that.

Don't get me wrong, they are a perfectly good set of headphones; especially at the price. Their microphone is exactly the same but in the microphone's case, they did cut corners in order to keep the price down and it shows.

Frequency response can give a good idea, but other things such as distortion and the transient responses of the drivers also come into play so just looking at a frequency response gives a part of the story. Let alone the capsule cavity and venting.

So they are most likely a really good value pair of headphones. I am curious why Amazon UK have removed them though as well. I was going to get a pair and they're gone!!

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #1,421 of 4,538
+1 on that... disagreeing with a conclusion is one thing, but characterizing it as "full of hate" seems silly to me, especially given that there seems to be a noted absence of any such emotional language in the review itself, which seems to completely demolish the charge of it being "full of hate."

Anyway, I like the Pro 82, in any case, and I do disagree with some of the review, but I have no reason to believe the measurements are wrong or that he has some kind of personal "hatred" against the 'phones.
It has been established that measurements are completely irrelevant to the price:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...headphone-frequency-response-and-retail-price
No measurement can tell us whether a specific headphone should be 70$ or 700$.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,422 of 4,538
It has been established that measurements are completely irrelevant to the price:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...headphone-frequency-response-and-retail-price

I’m afraid your missing my point.

I wasn’t making the case that measurements make a headphone good, but that calling a review “hate-filled” just because there is disagreement on the conclusion is irrational.

I merely mentioned the measurements because it seems curious that rather than just making the case you are making here - measurements aren’t really everything - or even perhaps making the case that he erred in taking his measurements, perhaps - there’s a case some are making about the reviewer having an axe to grind or otherwise being emotive (“hate-filled”) but to me it seems it is the accuser who is being emotive about the whole thing.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,423 of 4,538
So they are most likely a really good value pair of headphones. I am curious why Amazon UK have removed them though as well. I was going to get a pair and they're gone!!

Just speculating but it may be because they seem to often be in short supply?

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #1,424 of 4,538
Well, it could be, but Takstar aren't yer 'small' company. They are well known for their cheap video microphones.

Maybe they'll return then.

Trellus, Solderdude has no axe to grind with any headphone. He's worked in the business and knows his onions. He merely took measurements in the way that he does with all of his headphones and reported what he saw.

Actually, he's a genius at modifying headphones, based on real measurements. I use an amp designed by him that has an EQ filter built into it, that flattens the headphone frequency response out. He also designed the Garage Amps. I have a few of his amps for different headphones with built in EQ and I can assure you that headphones really don't sound the same by just flattening their frequency responses.

Some are more easily EQ'd than others, but he certainly doesn't have an affinity with any headphone.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #1,425 of 4,538

Frequency response and price does not has a strong correlation, but frequency response and sound quality does when measured against a target response curve. I will stipulate that many expensive headphones are trying to hit some sort of target response and they tend to spend a lot of money doing so. Some manufacturers don't spend as much money on specific tuning for their headphones to a response curve and instead go for better build quality or other perks/features which they think will justify a higher price tag.

That being said, if I showed you some bad sounding headphones they would all universally have BAD response curves, THD reactions, and other bad measurements. Once a manufacturer gets into the ballpark of some decent measurements, they can decide if they want to spend more money fine tuning even more, or go a different direction if they are looking to make a more expensive headphone product.

This is why there are many great gems of headphones for not very much money. Takstar pro 82's being one such gem. There are a ton more. I have a bunch of them. I also own many cheap turds too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back