Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,369 of 4,537
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #1,372 of 4,537
I bought both of mine from Headphoniaks both silver, both sound great.

I tried changing opamps back from Muses01 to other types and the magic was lost, Muses01 / LDMK11 C3g tubes makes vocals sound amazing.

I have a Audio-gd R2R 11 on it's way to try and make me like my other headphones again.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #1,373 of 4,537
Feb 12, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,374 of 4,537
I really hope the other headphone with smaller driver magnet is a fake. I think highly of takstar and changing the driver unannounced would be a major let down. Completely unacceptable. If that is what happened I'm done with the brand for good. Changing the driver is not just a minor change. I't is completely different headphone.

If one was to use hd800 on a koss porta Pro Shell it is hd800 in a koss housing. Not koss with a different driver. I't is The driver that defines headphone.

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #1,375 of 4,537
Feb 12, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #1,377 of 4,537
Finally have a lot of burn in time and more time to do a much better shake down of these.

So much of what I said before was spot on previously. These sound overall fantastic. Clarity, tonality, and imaging are all great. Sound stage for closed back is decent too. Comfort they are excellent except being hotter on my ears that most of my other headphones. Not sure why they are hotter than anything else I own, they just are. I am also not bothered usually by hotter headphones, and normally don't sweat around my ears with other headphones, but these make my head/ears sweat after extended use.

The only real con I still have is the bass roll off. About 40hz on down they lose impact. It's not much, but they lose impact and they lose clarity of keeping up with the sub bass if it is very fast. It literally misses notes my 400i, m1060, and many other headsets pick up. I also tested the bass on the tone tester here:

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

The takstars are definitely not keeping up on the lower than 40hz spectrum compared to my other better bass headsets at the same comparative volumes. Not to say it's horrible, because it's not. Not at all. I also noticed the ports don't do too much either except make the quality of the bass worse without bringing up the impact and adding very little quantity of volume to the bass. Although opening the ports does add some volume to the bass with the last port opening adding enough of a difference to really hear with the first two ports barely making any difference in bass volume. While opening the ports all the way makes the bass louder it really messes with the quality and tonality. Some lower spectrum voices sound like they are coming through a coffee can and it's not a good thing. One port opened at most and the voices don't go all strange. Second port opened and the voices start sounding a bit off. Third port opened and it's full on coffee can sound. So don't recommend really going beyond the first port. While opening the ports beyond the first does make the sound a bit more airy and open, the lower bass just sounds really bad when done so.

Just to add, the hollow coffee can tonality sound change can be heard with even the first port opened, but it is so hard to hear that unless you are specifically trying to listen for it, you won't notice it. So there is that. It's weird how opening the ports hollows out the sound, especially the bass, and makes it not sound so great as more ports open. When I do the same on my Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro Plus, which have the same port opening feature, that hollowness does not happen. It does not lose clarity and get congested sounding like the Takstars do as more ports are opened. They have a different problem to the sound, mainly very loose/rumbly bass and longer decay reactions on the Beyers when more ports are opened.

All in all these are great headphones, but their weakness is their 40hz and lower bass range. Not a big deal though unless you like listening to Bass Outlaws or something similar all the time :) If that is the type of music you like there are better headsets for that music in my opinion.

For reference these were purchased from Takstar Audio from aliexpress in December as the full box package.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #1,378 of 4,537
After my experience last year I ordered another Pro82 at TomTop. This time, no problems with imbalance and I'm happy so far.

I'm looking for a shorter cable, shorter than the one in the first post. Would this combination work?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...379.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.31f092d7QOAcwA
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugr...ff45-4a5c-bdf4-bf78fe8faa7b&priceBeautifyAB=0
I notice that imbalance on my current pair too. I'm thinking of buying a second set as when they work I do like the sound, and I managed to eventually get £15 of the £47 I spent back off these ones.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,379 of 4,537
Don't know about this combination. But if you want a short cable then I got this cable for HD598SE, tried it with Takstar Pro 82 and it works.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5...32810096399.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.8TJOCR

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #1,380 of 4,537
While we were debating driver difference in the takstar, someone already made lengthy measurements of new/old takstar pro 82s, and measured the bass boost options.

Safe to say, there are multiple huge differences such as a completely different magnet assembly.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/takstar-pro-82/

I'm definitely enjoying my 2nd pair more than the 1st one.

Very informative article thank you for that. Looks like the "real" pair has a bigger magnet and thus more controlled/restrained bass as well as better sound. I'm curious if the other pair is definitely fake or if it's an older production run and Takstar made major changes. At any rate I've confirmed mine have the "real" drivers. The frequency response graphs look right to me as well. Seems to be very similar to what I'm hearing.

Interesting that both real and fake pairs have lots of sub bass which contradicts some peoples experience leading me again to think they are experiencing a problem with getting the headphones to seal properly.

I really hope the other headphone with smaller driver magnet is a fake. I think highly of takstar and changing the driver unannounced would be a major let down. Completely unacceptable. If that is what happened I'm done with the brand for good. Changing the driver is not just a minor change. I't is completely different headphone.

If one was to use hd800 on a koss porta Pro Shell it is hd800 in a koss housing. Not koss with a different driver. I't is The driver that defines headphone.

Very interesting article... Makes me also wonder why such a big difference between different units of supposedly SAME model numbers.

I happen to be a happy buyer of one of the first Pro 82s that HPK received back in May 2017:
https://twitter.com/Headphoniaks/status/864084960919117824
So my chances are 100% to have one of those so-called "fake" units. I did never check for authenticity on the Takstar website, but I can tell that HPK is a trustworthy seller. They even had direct contact with Takstar in the past, I'm aware that they were sent demo units of the Pro 82 way before the release date and also of the never-released ML 750. So I truly believe this is certainly NOT fake.

I wrote them about this issue and if I get a reply I'll post it here. However, I doubt HPK will have more info than we already have. It's probably time for Takstar to speak up about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back