Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #556 of 4,538
Gotta love this feedback...
upload_2017-12-13_18-19-26.png

Dec 13, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #557 of 4,538
You would be able to use the Coax/Optical inputs of your D2 instead of USB.
The question is - is the 60Hz noise limited to USB or not?

The noise is always there, connected to any input or not. But it starts become audible when the volume knob reaches 9 o'clock and up, and at 9 o'clock the sound coming out from the headphone is very very loud. So in normal volume the noise is inaudible, at least according to my 'regular' ears. Still, it would be much better if there is no noise at all.

About the Pro 82, after several days it sounds much better. The bass is more present and I don't need to open the bass port anymore. The somewhat harsh treble is also smoother.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #558 of 4,538
The noise is always there, connected to any input or not. But it starts become audible when the volume knob reaches 9 o'clock and up, and at 9 o'clock the sound coming out from the headphone is very very loud. So in normal volume the noise is inaudible, at least according to my 'regular' ears. Still, it would be much better if there is no noise at all.
Even if it's not audible under 9 o'clock, it's probably still distorting the sound. You need a new DAC.

About the Pro 82, after several days it sounds much better. The bass is more present and I don't need to open the bass port anymore. The somewhat harsh treble is also smoother.
That's pure brain burn-in. Pro 82 doesn't change (thank god!), your brain gets adjusted to the new clear sound.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #559 of 4,538
I hope it'll be on the HA-2 level as a DAC, mobile Sabre chips are quite easy to implement.
However, if the amp is no good, I'll probably skip it, and wait for a better DAC/Amp based on 9038Q2M.
NX4 DSD is using OPA2140+OPA1652+OPA1688, so there is a good chance the amp will be usable.

Dec 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #560 of 4,538
After going through the forum, I'm definitely intrigued by the 82's. I have a couple questions that I haven't seen covered yet though. I'm stuck between getting the 82's and a new DAC/amp, the m40x's with new earpads (I have brain waves, but zeos swears by the zmf's for them), or the B8's with a new DAC/ amp. I'm coming from the Sony WH-1000xm2's which didn't wow me with sound quality and were painful to have on for more than an hour. I'm assuming your recommendation will be the 82's :jecklinsmile: but I want to know how all three of these compare with each other. Biggest thing is comfort, I want these for long listening sessions at work. I'm also looking for a clear/ detailed headphone that is closed with good soundstage (at least as good as closed cans go). I prefer a more flat sound signature, although I like boosted bass with some genres of music.

Thanks for the help!

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #561 of 4,538
After going through the forum, I'm definitely intrigued by the 82's. I have a couple questions that I haven't seen covered yet though. I'm stuck between getting the 82's and a new DAC/amp, the m40x's with new earpads (I have brain waves, but zeos swears by the zmf's for them), or the B8's with a new DAC/ amp. I'm coming from the Sony WH-1000xm2's which didn't wow me with sound quality and were painful to have on for more than an hour. I'm assuming your recommendation will be the 82's :jecklinsmile:
You must be psychic! Quick - who will win the Superbowl?
Patriots, as usual

... but I want to know how all three of these compare with each other.
Don't have M40x, but here is B8:
Comparison with Bosshifi B8

Biggest thing is comfort, I want these for long listening sessions at work. I'm also looking for a clear/ detailed headphone that is closed with good soundstage (at least as good as closed cans go). I prefer a more flat sound signature, although I like boosted bass with some genres of music.
Pro 82 definitely wins in comfort over B8, the desired sound signature can be attributed to both Pro 82 and B8, the question is - do you want it to sound dead neutral or slightly mid-forward?
Pro 82 can be tuned to sound more like B8, but not vice-versa:
Tuning Pro 82 with easy mods

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #563 of 4,538
I had the Chord Mojo and recently bought the HA-2.
Don't do this to me please!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
You probably rank in the top 1% of people who don't need a new DAC at the moment.
Neither do I, but I want it because I don't have any 9038 DACs in my collection yet.

I doubt it can exceed HA-2 level of performance both as a DAC and as an AMP.

Sure, NX4 DSD has a newer chip (9038), but so did HA-2SE (9028), yet it sounds exactly the same as HA-2(9018) - it's all in the tuning.
If Topping tuned 9038 differently, it will probably sound a bit colored, like GO V2 and NFB-11.32 - in which case I'll be disappointed.
Best case scenario - it will sound the same as HA-2, and will become a cheaper option for those who want perfectly clear uncolored sound.

As for the amp part, it will be even harder for NX4 DSD to match HA-2's performance.
Even Oppo themselves failed with HA-2SE to do so.

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #564 of 4,538
You probably rank in the top 1% of people who don't need a new DAC at the moment.
Absolutely, and I know it. But, NX4 DSD's design looks amazing!!

As for the amp part, it will be even harder for NX4 DSD to match HA-2's performance.
Even Oppo themselves failed with HA-2SE to do so.
Didn't Oppo do something with the amp stage of the HA-2SE taking explicit advantange of some new components in the ES9028-Q2M chipset? I think I read somewhere about it, if I recall correctly, that the ES9018-K2M chipset was very different in that respect.
Perhaps Topping goes along that direction (HA-2SE)?

I doubt it can exceed HA-2 level of performance both as a DAC and as an AMP.
If you finally get it, please let us know.

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #565 of 4,538
Santa came to town, boys and girls. And he didn't disappoint!
hP3WbKE.jpg

One thing is for sure, damn MRW (transporter) is always so careless with packets...
5drAJjM.jpg

The package is, as usual, a treat. I really like the box! And honestly, the silver headphones look really nice in real life, a lot better than I expected.
6bAz4JO.jpg

Now I want to test them side by side, to see if I can spot any significant differences, just out of curiosity :)

edit: And to my bad luck, Stefan from headnhifi confirmed today that Deutsche Post didn't ship the crate my Objective2 was in due to some error on their side... Will now have to wait while they find the material and ship it again... Sigh.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #567 of 4,538
Even if it's not audible under 9 o'clock, it's probably still distorting the sound. You need a new DAC.

That's pure brain burn-in. Pro 82 doesn't change (thank god!), your brain gets adjusted to the new clear sound.
I knew it, this will be a never ending journey once the path is taken...New headphones, new cable, new DAC, new this new that... :o2smile::o2smile:

What do you think about Topping NX2? I can stretch my budged for it.

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #568 of 4,538
Well, from my testing, there isn't almost difference to my ears. I do feel like the older ones seem to have a small difference in bass that I prefer, like it's less aggressive or something, but it's very very subtle. It could be a very light burn in, and I could only hear that if I focused really hard. The easiest I could find to spot the difference was on South Pole's Shine.
The last couple of seconds (6:04 forward) are just the beat going until the end. I found that on the silver ones, it seemed like it was slightly more aggressive. Maybe it's just my head playing a trick on me, but it kinda felt like that. Maybe part of the adaptation period does have a smoothing of the bass' punch. But like I said, I had to concentrate to hear the difference.

But on a relaxed / regular listen, they're the same. Same great highs, that characteristic treble, same slightly recessed mids, and same tight bass (which I'm just loving, not too much punch, but powerful enough to feel it on your head), I really love these. If only the vocals could come slightly forward, they'd be perfect. But I can't complain, really, since I tend to care more about the melodies of a song, and these sound amazing. And, as expected, the silver still has that little extra pressure that needs to be broken in.

These are really gonna make it a lot better on those times when I need to isolate myself when programming. I might consider buying one of those boom cables so I can use it for regular and skype calls, but I am waiting for feedback on them from @RedHarlow *hint hint nudge nudge* :wink: And worry not Ben, the ones on the job were never gonna get the Objective2, so it doesn't matter.

Dec 14, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #570 of 4,538

Users who are viewing this thread

Back