Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 30, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #468 of 4,538
Well, they do have a simple solution... Increase the price. That's how you do things on the market, if you have a better than expected product, you increase its price. Not that I want that, God no! But I understand that it may happen in the mid-term.

But I agree, the 82 Pro is amazing for its price, I feel like anyone could actually benefit from having it. No burn in, no tricks, just simple "it works".

EDIT: welp, I just bought the O2 from Headnhifi, hopefully it arrives next week.
It's not as easy as it looks.
In order to sell headphones at three-digit prices, you must do a lot of marketing.
Have you ever seen an advertisement for Takstar headphones? Luckily for us, they are not going to change the way they do business for just one headphone, so we should keep seeing it at the current price, even if the availability will be limited.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #469 of 4,538
I am a TH900 lover especially in the bass section but can't tolerate with the shrilling treble and ended up sell the cans to fund other tolerable headphones. Now, I have a better setup that could tame TH900 highs; but, I am not sure if I want to spend extra money for that headphone after stumbled upon this thread. The pro 82 intrigued me for one reason, it is comparable to and come close with a $1500 headphone. Honestly, I still have a vague idea (despite all the review write-ups and lengthy discussions) on how good the headphone is and really interested on getting one. My question is, has anyone compare this headphone with other mid-tier headphones like lcd2, HD650, Hifiman HE560 or any other headphone around that price bracket?

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #470 of 4,538
I have HD600 - bought them over HD650 because Tyll said they are less veiled. Compared to Pro 82, they are veiled as f...
Auditioned HE560 - they didn't wow me, good but not great. Edition X was better, but not as good as Elear or TH900MK2.
Auditioned ATH-W5000 - plain bad - for bassheads only
Auditioned ATH-A1000Z -much better than W5000, good timbre and clarity, great bass - but overall not on the Elear/TH900MK2/Pro 82 level

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #471 of 4,538
I have HD600 - bought them over HD650 because Tyll said they are less veiled. Compared to Pro 82, they are veiled as f...
Auditioned HE560 - they didn't wow me, good but not great. Edition X was better, but not as good as Elear or TH900MK2.
Auditioned ATH-W5000 - plain bad - for bassheads only
Auditioned ATH-A1000Z -much better than W5000, good timbre and clarity, great bass - but overall not on the Elear/TH900MK2/Pro 82 level

Interesting. I guess, I should just get one for Christmas and compare it my other headphones when it arrives. Thanks!

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #472 of 4,538
It's not as easy as it looks.
In order to sell headphones at three-digit prices, you must do a lot of marketing.
Have you ever seen an advertisement for Takstar headphones? Luckily for us, they are not going to change the way they do business for just one headphone, so we should keep seeing it at the current price, even if the availability will be limited.

Not saying it's easy, just saying it's the most probable solution to keep them as they are if they find they are not able to produce these to other brands.

TBH, I'm not a good comparison point for the advertisement part. I avoid advertisements like the plague, I trust no marketing as it's created to hype everything up. I found the 82 Pro because of the portuguese forum I moderate on. People there that follow the audio world mentioned the HyperX Cloud as the best price/performance ratio for a headset under 100€. I saw mentioned they were based on the Takstar 80. I snooped around here and found that they had the upgraded 82 Pro, and started reading up on them, and checking the numbers and graphics to support opinions. Do you know many people that will follow the trails like this? :p

But i completely agree, if you want to reach the masses, there's a lot of marketing going on. I sometimes wish it wasn't so but... It really depends on Takstar's strategy in the end, but I see them keeping it the way they've been doing things, it's a lot "safer" once you find a bigger player in the market to whom to build hardware for, it completely cuts the need for typical marketing and other kinds of headaches.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #473 of 4,538
Recently while I surfed on aliexpress I found a boom mic that should fit perfectly for the Takstar Pro 82's. From the looks it could be the oem company that produces the vmoda boom pros. The company name is Poyatu.

HTB13n85SXXXXXcoaXXXq6xXFXXXC.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Boo...32821639632.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.rJmLGV

I will reply when I receive them. There's also a boom mic 2,5mm from ket direct which has horrible reviews because of the build quality.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #474 of 4,538
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #475 of 4,538
I think it's the extra step of getting it stuck on your clothes, on the right position, instead of not having to set that up. If someone has a "lazier" solution, they usually will prefer it. Plus, most people don't really care about mic quality.

@RedHarlow there was a chinese review on the comments that mentioned that the sound quality is not good. Curious about it though, since I can't seem to convince my GF to get one like BenF linked. If you could record you speaking on it and make it available, it'd be great.

@BenF I've been reading the SMSL Idea thread to get a good look at what it offers, and I have three questions:
  1. Have you tested the Idea on an android phone? Got any buzzing issues? Improvements on sound?
  2. Vs a Sabre 9023 for a desktop, would you still advise the Idea?
  3. Sabaj DA2 seems to be the same as the Idea but cheaper, thoughts?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #476 of 4,538
I think it's the extra step of getting it stuck on your clothes, on the right position, instead of not having to set that up. If someone has a "lazier" solution, they usually will prefer it. Plus, most people don't really care about mic quality.

The big problem with these boom mic cables, is that you can't use them with DACs or amps - severely degrading sound quality. Should be OK for games/Skype, but for music, you have to choose between the mic and best quality.

@BenF I've been reading the SMSL Idea thread to get a good look at what it offers, and I have three questions:
  1. Have you tested the Idea on an android phone? Got any buzzing issues? Improvements on sound?
  2. Vs a Sabre 9023 for a desktop, would you still advise the Idea?
  3. Sabaj DA2 seems to be the same as the Idea but cheaper, thoughts?

1. Works flawlessly with HTC 10, no buzzing, big improvement in sound.
2. Depends on what you use it for. As a DAC for Pro 82 (with O2 as an amplifier), it's great. As a DAC for TH900MK2, ODAC is better.
As a portable DAC/Amp - it's unbeatable for the price and size.
3. Should be the same, don't know for sure. The price difference isn't big enough (after 8$ in coupons) to justify the risk, plus DA2 only comes in black.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #478 of 4,538
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/smsl-idea-dac-amp <-- welp, to EU it's 4 USD extra. I'm going to get this for 73 USD... seems like a nice price.

69.99$+4$ = 73.99$
74$ to wait at least 5 weeks for the shipping (and black only?) when you can have it now on Ali in any color for 77$ (after 9$ in coupons):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW...Portable-Decoder-DSD-USB-DAC/32808367921.html
Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

@BenF about the microphone cable: I'm going to get rid of the dynamic volume changes, that may help.
What do you mean by that?

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #479 of 4,538
I have this cable, its mic works great for me.
Of course, it's possible that you got a lemon, but let's check first - is the problem a volume? If yes, make sure that the volume of "recording device" is set to 100, and try to apply gain.

Or you can just keep it closer to your mouth :floatsmile:

There wasn't a problem with the volume - but I think it may be that e.g. skype is adjusting the volume automatically, instead of keeping it stable. I can report back if anything changes.

69.99$+4$ = 73.99$
74$ to wait at least 5 weeks for the shipping (and black only?) when you can have it now on Ali in any color for 77$ (after 9$ in coupons):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW...Portable-Decoder-DSD-USB-DAC/32808367921.html
Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

The day that Aliexpress delivers _now_ (or earlier than 5 weeks) still has to come for me :-D. They also offer it in red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back