Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,966 of 4,538
May 14, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #1,967 of 4,538
I'm contacting them to know which version they have, but i believe it's V1, is the difference between v1 and v2 really worth it?
I don't have v2, so I can't tell you which one is best. Plus, it depends on what you prefer as a sound signature and what you have as a sound chain (sound card, DAC, amplifier...). Personally, I really like both my v1. I did end up buying the Objective 2 and the SMSL Idea, and the internal pads, so I do have a bit invested in this.

But just buying the headset and the pads already makes these quite nice. Gaming on these is one hell of an experience too.

For music, it depends on your hardware. These were amazing by themselves on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro with its software improvements. On my Honor 9 they're OK, but I do miss the RN3P improvements. However, if I just add the DAC on it, it makes it better, so...
Never had an issue on my PC though, but I did have a motherboard with a creative chip, so...

But above all, chosing the right sources (good audio files, good youtube videos, high quality on spotify...) makes also quite the difference.

I'd recommend these for anyone wanting an upgrade for gaming, or from lower end headsets definitely. If you want a pair of cans that can hide bad audio mixing/quality, then these are not a good choice. If you are willing to work with them though... Then they become really good.

May 14, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #1,968 of 4,538
I don't have v2, so I can't tell you which one is best. Plus, it depends on what you prefer as a sound signature and what you have as a sound chain (sound card, DAC, amplifier...). Personally, I really like both my v1. I did end up buying the Objective 2 and the SMSL Idea, and the internal pads, so I do have a bit invested in this.

But just buying the headset and the pads already makes these quite nice. Gaming on these is one hell of an experience too.

For music, it depends on your hardware. These were amazing by themselves on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro with its software improvements. On my Honor 9 they're OK, but I do miss the RN3P improvements. However, if I just add the DAC on it, it makes it better, so...
Never had an issue on my PC though, but I did have a motherboard with a creative chip, so...

But above all, chosing the right sources (good audio files, good youtube videos, high quality on spotify...) makes also quite the difference.

I'd recommend these for anyone wanting an upgrade for gaming, or from lower end headsets definitely. If you want a pair of cans that can hide bad audio mixing/quality, then these are not a good choice. If you are willing to work with them though... Then they become really good.

Thanks for the post.

Source will be the Astro Mixamp Pro, music is primary but i can't afford a dac just yet, next thing will probably be an amp, the Magni 3.

What are those improvements in the xiaomi that you talk about? I'm about to get the Note 5 and i'm curious.

Aliexpress is a great deal, but i've talked with takstar and they can't lower the price enough for me to get them and get past the customs, sad.

May 14, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,969 of 4,538
Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #1,970 of 4,538
...Source will be the Astro Mixamp Pro, music is primary but i can't afford a dac just yet, next thing will probably be an amp, the Magni 3.
Why pay 100$ for just an amp, when you can get an excellent DAC/Amp like SMSL Idea for just 85.99$ ?
EDIT: If you buy both Pro 82 and SMSL Idea, use the Head-Fi discount:
Pro 82 (without case) + SMSL Idea - final price 138$ when using "free" shipping options (12$ discount)
Pro 82 (with case) + SMSL Idea - final price 146$ when using "free" shipping options (13.5$ discount)

Aliexpress is a great deal, but i've talked with takstar and they can't lower the price enough for me to get them and get past the customs, sad.
I think you have misunderstood each other. TakstarAudio will put any price you want on the package, Ellie probably thought you were asking to lower the actual price :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,971 of 4,538
What are those improvements in the xiaomi that you talk about? I'm about to get the Note 5 and i'm curious.

There's an option on the audio part regarding the headphones, where they have some form of audio improvement. It's probably some form of custom software equalizing, but I enjoyed it, it gave the bass more strength and the whole balance was also better than having that off.

Source will be the Astro Mixamp Pro, music is primary but i can't afford a dac just yet, next thing will probably be an amp, the Magni 3.

As far as I can find, the mixamp pro is nothing special for PC, so have that in mind. As for what to buy, I'd buy the SMSL faster than the O2 first, and the pads would still be my number one first choice. I had the O2 first, and it doesn't do a lot on its own. I mean, if you have low volume, then sure, it's useful, but these are easy to drive, so I wouldn't aim for the amplifier first.

May 14, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,972 of 4,538
So it’s good to know that all of the sudden everybody out there has full head-fier rights with TakstarAudio! (even marginally better).:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
We still have the "synergy" combo discounts:
Pro 82 (without case) + SMSL Idea - final price 138$ when using "free" shipping options (12$ discount)
Pro 82 (with case) + SMSL Idea - final price 146$ when using "free" shipping options (13.5$ discount)

Any hints on why they keep lowering the price continuously...? :thinking:
TomTop keeps selling Pro 82 by hundreds at 60$.
TakstarAudio has actual stock of Pro 82, which is great for us (buyers) - they ship immediately.
But when they can't sell, it's bad for them, as they have limited storage space. So they have to lower the price, even if it means thinner margins.

Pro 84 coming?? :yum:
Let's hope so. As long as they have the same engineer that tuned Pro 82, continuously improving it - whatever is coming next, should be amazing.

May 14, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,973 of 4,538
Why pay 100$ for just an amp, when you can get an excellent DAC/Amp like SMSL Idea for just 85.99$ ?
EDIT: If you buy both Pro 82 and SMSL Idea, use the Head-Fi discount:

I think you have misunderstood each other. TakstarAudio will put any price you want on the package, Ellie probably thought you were asking to lower the actual price :jecklinsmile:

Oh, i already own it, kinda need that 7.1 and mixer capabilities.

Ellie told me that my country was very strict and offered to put 26$ as value, but that's above the limit, but since it's not that much, i would still get it if it didn't meant that the whole thing would be opened at the customs and overall a pain in the ass.

EDIT: Basically it's not safe to just declare an inferior value on something that big and heavy.

There's an option on the audio part regarding the headphones, where they have some form of audio improvement. It's probably some form of custom software equalizing, but I enjoyed it, it gave the bass more strength and the whole balance was also better than having that off.

As far as I can find, the mixamp pro is nothing special for PC, so have that in mind. As for what to buy, I'd buy the SMSL faster than the O2 first, and the pads would still be my number one first choice. I had the O2 first, and it doesn't do a lot on its own. I mean, if you have low volume, then sure, it's useful, but these are easy to drive, so I wouldn't aim for the amplifier first.

Ah, those settings usually suck on the ones i've tried, but i'll give a look for sure, thanks.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #1,974 of 4,538
Oh, i already own it, kinda need that 7.1 and mixer capabilities.

I was talking about Magni 3, not Astro Mixamp Pro
Keep in mind, that Astro's Dolby Surround capability is only applicable if you use their A40 TR headset, it's not going to work on Pro 82

...Ellie told me that my country was very strict and offered to put 26$ as value, but that's above the limit, but since it's not that much, i would still get it if it didn't meant that the whole thing would be opened at the customs and overall a pain in the ass.
EDIT: Basically it's not safe to just declare an inferior value on something that big and heavy.
TakstarAudio may have those super slim protective cases I posted a while ago. With this case, not much padding will be needed, and the package will be very small.
If you don't insist on having Idea's carton box, they can probably put Idea inside this case too.

May 14, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #1,975 of 4,538
'Keep in mind, that Astro's Dolby Surround capability is only applicable if you use their A40 TR headset, it's not going to work on Pro 82

The surround capability will work just fine when using the P82 with the Mixamp.

The Astro system doesn't do true 7.1 surround, only 2 channel virtual surround (Dolby Headphone). The Mixamp TR therefore down-mixes the incoming 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio to 2 channel 'virtualised' audio, so that it becomes digestible for ANY stereo headphone or headset.

May 14, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #1,976 of 4,538
The surround capability will work just fine when using the P82 with the Mixamp.

The Astro system doesn't do true 7.1 surround, only 2 channel virtual surround (Dolby Headphone). The Mixamp TR therefore down-mixes the incoming 5.1 or 7.1 channel audio to 2 channel 'virtualised' audio, so that it becomes digestible for ANY stereo headphone or headset.
This would ruin music, and I'm sure that Pro 82 with Idea would be great for gaming without any fake 7.1.
Many people in this thread raved about Pro 82 for gaming, and they just used regular Amps and DACs.

May 15, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #1,977 of 4,538
I have the Astro mixamp pro and it is amazing with the Pro 82's with Dolby surround on for gaming, music passages sound great, I have not used it sorely for music though.

I would not use it with standard stereo for gaming as the image is not as good, Dolby is a must on the mixamp :)

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #1,978 of 4,538
This would ruin music, and I'm sure that Pro 82 with Idea would be great for gaming without any fake 7.1.
Many people in this thread raved about Pro 82 for gaming, and they just used regular Amps and DACs.

You are right, it would. But fortunately there is an 'off'' switch so the virtualisation can be disabled for music listening. But the Mixamp would not be a device I'd use for music listening as its a competent dac/amp at best.

Use the P82 for gaming and find it excellent when partnered with a 'regular' dac / amp. 2.0 stereo works just fine for me and no issues in terms of positional accuracy.

I have the Astro mixamp pro and it is amazing with the Pro 82's with Dolby surround on for gaming, music passages sound great, I have not used it sorely for music though.

I would not use it with standard stereo for gaming as the image is not as good, Dolby is a must on the mixamp :)

Agree about the use of DH with the Mixamp. Regular stereo just isn't that good.

I think the biggest draws of the Mixamp are the virtual surround, convenience (mic support, volume mixer etc.) and general console friendliness. Quite hard to find an 'all in one' solution that offers both optical in and also mic support.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #1,979 of 4,538
You are right, it would. But fortunately there is an 'off'' switch so the virtualisation can be disabled for music listening. But the Mixamp would not be a device I'd use for music listening as its a competent dac/amp at best.

Use the P82 for gaming and find it excellent when partnered with a 'regular' dac / amp. 2.0 stereo works just fine for me and no issues in terms of positional accuracy.

Agree about the use of DH with the Mixamp. Regular stereo just isn't that good.

I think the biggest draws of the Mixamp are the virtual surround, convenience (mic support, volume mixer etc.) and general console friendliness. Quite hard to find an 'all in one' solution that offers both optical in and also mic support.
I use mine with my Xbox One X I have had it since 2013 and it has been an incredible part of gaming for me.

Having the synergy with the Pro 82's now I was like wow and bought my second pair of 82's because of it.

I have the Dolby Atmos plugin for xbox and it sounds so deep and wide great for single player games and Overwatch which is made with Dolby Atmos.

It sounds good on other titles but for pin point accuracy with the Pro 82's the standard Dolby pips it in games like COD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back