Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Oct 3, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #635 of 1,250
Oct 11, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #637 of 1,250
Finally got to recabling the HF580 with MMCX connectors and a balanced 2.5 NICEHCK cable.

P91011-135723.jpg
P91011-135709.jpg
P91011-135651.jpg
P91011-135606.jpg

Does anyone else find this headphone to be a little too much with some musical genres? With some metal albums, I feel like I get screw*d in my ears, and it's not a volume thing.

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #639 of 1,250
@Hal Rockwell Looks good! It's worth it. What songs exactly?

Even A7X "Hail to the King" album, which is exceptionally well mastered for a metal album. It's something about the density of the music, which is just overwhelming.

Other genres, that have air between the notes, that just allows them to breathe, sound amazing, and very detailed.

It's a very abstract description of what I sense, when I listen to music with the HF580, but that's the best I can do.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #640 of 1,250
Even A7X "Hail to the King" album, which is exceptionally well mastered for a metal album. It's something about the density of the music, which is just overwhelming.

Other genres, that have air between the notes, that just allows them to breathe, sound amazing, and very detailed.

It's a very abstract description of what I sense, when I listen to music with the HF580, but that's the best I can do.
Definetely well mastered. May be to do with the tonal balance. It has some meaty high notes. I tested this with Yarland FV-34C + Quad 12L and TPA3116 2.1 + Homemade vibration speakers. With Quad 12L it's has a bit too much contrast on upper frequencies. With my hybrid vibration speaker it just perfect. With my modded HF580 it was something between those two speakers. I have a bit too much some of the treble energy. But it's kinda ok sounding atm. You can try cover the front with fabric tape to relax some of the treble.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #641 of 1,250
Definetely well mastered. May be to do with the tonal balance. It has some meaty high notes. I tested this with Yarland FV-34C + Quad 12L and TPA3116 2.1 + Homemade vibration speakers. With Quad 12L it's has a bit too much contrast on upper frequencies. With my hybrid vibration speaker it just perfect. With my modded HF580 it was something between those two speakers. I have a bit too much some of the treble energy. But it's kinda ok sounding atm. You can try cover the front with fabric tape to relax some of the treble.

Did a single layer of kinesio tape on the front of the driver. Guess I'll be needing two, or even more.

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #642 of 1,250
Did a single layer of kinesio tape on the front of the driver. Guess I'll be needing two, or even more.
Thats a start. But also I have multible back mods too. Those modifications restrict airflow. It soothes the sound too. I did not like WC paper. It cuts high frequencies. Try that multible layer of kinesio tape. Im with that.

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #643 of 1,250

So I'm listen to the album right now on my THX 789. I agree, it's very well mixed. My HF 580 is bone stock save for the Sendy Aiva pads.

They definitely didn't back off the treble in the album, opting to de-ess it less than most albums. Definitely feels like a conscious decision though. So that upper treble can be a little much but on ess sounds and cymbal hits but I'm getting decent instrument separation and imaging.

Now everyone hears differently but I think what you are hearing is a limitation of the pads. They look to be brainwavz hybrid pads or something similar. I tried the hybrids on my 580 and it messed up the sound too much for me. The Sendy pads are leagues better in every respect. Before I got the Sendy pads I had to be very choosey with what I listened to with them because it was easy to get overwhelmed by the hollow upper midrange and treble. The Sendy pads fixed 90% of that and now I can listen to almost everything with them.

Here are the pads I tried, ranked by how good they sounded to me.
Sendy > stock cloth > Monoprice oval velour > stock pleather > Brainwavz Hybrids
I'm sure the sound can be further refined and improved by mods with any of these pads but if there is anything I have learned over the years of modding and pad swapping headphones is that picking a good-sounding pad makes modding way easier. Otherwise, it's a uphill battle.

Oct 12, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #645 of 1,250
Did you use kinesio tape on the back of the driver too?
I was using kinesio in back at very beginning. I use now more complex mods.

This is what I use now:

Very fine mesh with aluminium and fiber cloth with aluminium and with oval shaped felt layer (not in the picture). I would say its now half-closed headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back