Takstar HF 580 Planar Headphones
Jan 18, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #826 of 1,250
Interestingly, this can work in the opposite way on some headphones (at least on my head). My HE4XX, Edition XX, M1060, and ESP/95X all have a noticeable bump in bass (5-10 db) when they are aren't sealed well all the way around the ear. Most of my other headphones are the opposite, however, so it doesn't surprise me that the HF580 loses bass without a good seal. And I agree with you 100% on the Sendy pads. I would speculate that a good chunk of that $600 Aiva price is R&D cost on those pads. The materials, shape, and fit are completely intentional to get the most out of this driver. I highly doubt they would work that well with any other driver.

I wouldn't try putting a price to r&d. $600 was because they got to market first and the build quality is honestly top notch, worth 600 more than some 1k+ headphones on that alone. even the wood cup clones don't have a grill as attractive, headband as good or cups as nice.

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #827 of 1,250
So these are the Monoprice pads? Only one seller offers them. What about the Sandy/Aiva pads?

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #828 of 1,250
Jan 19, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #829 of 1,250
I will be receiving my HF580's hopefully in a couple of weeks. Nice to see the enthusiasm about modding these. Ordered those M1060 pads in pleather as well.

Have there been any mods to turn these into closed cans yet or would that be feasible? I've seen some such mods for the Sennheiser 580/6XX models.

See my post. Few pages pack.
Yes, I know I should have another headphone on the desk that is unmodificated to hear differenties. Sometimes I hear more subbass when modding but then again got more uneven treble.

You lose a lot sensitivity. Something like 8-10dB when doing all my mods I think mobile phone can still light this but not well.

This is my latest backmod. I used leather and magnetic sheets outside because it was brettier than using paper or tape. Use something thick to seall all the leather areas and the box in the middle is medium density 3mm foam. Not sure if u need all the inside mods. Atleast someone can try and listen if its any good? Or do it need to pair with more mods.

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #830 of 1,250
Jan 20, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #831 of 1,250
I will be receiving my HF580's hopefully in a couple of weeks. Nice to see the enthusiasm about modding these. Ordered those M1060 pads in pleather as well.

Have there been any mods to turn these into closed cans yet or would that be feasible? I've seen some such mods for the Sennheiser 580/6XX models.

Sheepskin is 'better' I think. But ok.. .I did not compare them. Sheepskin in natural material. Pleather is plastic I think. But ok.. maybe it's good also.

And you have to put the 'connection' ring aroud (!!) the enclosure. Tape it off with (black) electrical tape to be sure there is no sound leakage. Then it's perfect!

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #832 of 1,250
Sheepskin is 'better' I think. But ok.. .I did not compare them. Sheepskin in natural material. Pleather is plastic I think. But ok.. maybe it's good also.

And you have to put the 'connection' ring aroud (!!) the enclosure. Tape it off with (black) electrical tape to be sure there is no sound leakage. Then it's perfect!

sheepskin is more comfortable and durable. pleather will eventually crack and peel.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #833 of 1,250
Hmm. I was thinking about mounting some sort of solid cups on the back, which might give more bass gain. But that looks interesting as well. For the Sennheisers, there are aftermarket cups available. For example, http://www.headphile.com/page4.html
100% closed not work atleast with my mods. Measures bretty bad. Something like 80-95% works. Haa... I got bluetack mod! Seems to give more subbass. Testing now.

Edit. Some more measurements.

100 closed 90 closed. Still figuring what is best but so far that latest back mod picture is the best shape.
blutack mod.png

Normal pressing and hard pressing. Normal pressing is what it's clamping force is about. Not really practical to press cups to ur ears...
Blutack mod pressing.png

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #834 of 1,250
Measures darn good. Avg pink noise. From 30 to 5 kHz quite flat. Still upper bass is a bit elevated and around 5 kHz but that upper part behaves better if clamping force is bigger. Alot better than my last backmod. Of course treble behaves differently. I got dip around 6-8 kHz, some hotness after that but bearable.

Yes I made ducklips... It was not intended.
IMG_20200121_215935.jpg Pink noise avg 10s blutack mod.jpg

With masking tape
Masking tape.jpg

Edit. I have started to use again tape on the front. Tamed upper frequency complitely.

IMG_20200122_173224.jpg Masking tape.png

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #835 of 1,250
Removal cable has cable and the connector, and the best connector is no connector so that it will be better for economy and less stress for the buyer who constantly searches out a better one.
I couldn't agree more. There is too much fretting and obsessing over replacement and after market cables, often ridiculously expensive, and often offering little to no benefit...

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #836 of 1,250
I bought the old revision HI3050 from @Roderick. Its very big difference when modded. I recommend to mod these. They have nice potential to shine but unmodified it lacks some low treble and subbass. HI3050 was velour pad and HF580 with sheepskin pad. I need to buy second pair of China sheepskin M1060 pad and then I can do another compare :)

Don't mind the grammar...
Stock vs mod.png

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #837 of 1,250
The Takstar planars are on sale now on AliExpress for 139€.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #838 of 1,250
Jan 24, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #840 of 1,250
Pretty much the regular sale price from the TakstarAudio store in the last few months, so wait for coupons and cashback deals to match up with a bigger AliE sale if you're in no rush.

I disagree. For the most part, they've been up in the US$180 range (pre-coupon) for quite a period of time now. This is an excellent price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back