Taking Koss Portapro to the Limit (cool mods).
Jul 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #76 of 143
Quote:
I have them as well, and they get really sweaty. I take a picture for you later today before I put the stock pads back on.

Much appreciated. Do your ears become considerably more sweaty wearing them while not performing physical activities? My issue is that, for whatever reason, my ears tend to sweat more often than anywhere else on my body, which is why I decided to switch from in-ears to porta pros. But if these third party pads provoke even more sweat, then perhaps it's not for me. I will probably buy them anyway just to try them, and perhaps to use them when being physically idle, but I'm still quite curious of their appearance and their durability!

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #77 of 143
HD414 pads are a better alternative, and being a thicker higher 'quality' foam are more comfortable. I haven't had an issue sweat wise with them and they've been with me lifting and during cardio sessions :)

The 414 pads can be mounted normally, or you can reverse mount them.

Jul 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #78 of 143
Quote:
HD414 pads are a better alternative, and being a thicker higher 'quality' foam are more comfortable. I haven't had an issue sweat wise with them and they've been with me lifting and during cardio sessions :)

The 414 pads can be mounted normally, or you can reverse mount them.

They do indeed look very comfortable! Are you aware of an international Ebay seller who sells them in black? The orange colour is not quite my thing.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #79 of 143
Quote:
Much appreciated. Do your ears become considerably more sweaty wearing them while not performing physical activities? My issue is that, for whatever reason, my ears tend to sweat more often than anywhere else on my body, which is why I decided to switch from in-ears to porta pros. But if these third party pads provoke even more sweat, then perhaps it's not for me. I will probably buy them anyway just to try them, and perhaps to use them when being physically idle, but I'm still quite curious of their appearance and their durability!

They cause my ears to sweat just sitting in a chair, let alone doing somthing else. I also don't care much for how it changes the sound of them as the pleather will pull the drivers a bit further from your ears.

The PX 200 pads look good but that is all they are good for on these.

I think I'm going to try some of those HD414 pads as well, the Porta Pro's dont have a high clamping force so whatever you put on the pads will change the sound from the thin stock foam.

beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #80 of 143
I really wish these Grado Bowls would stay on properly, I'll have to devise some kind of mount for them... 
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #82 of 143
I really wish these Grado Bowls would stay on properly, I'll have to devise some kind of mount for them... :D

You might want to try what I did to stabilize the HD414 I used.

The problem I had before is that the HD414 pads would either occasionally misaligned with the driver, or the driver will go through the pads. I used some cereal box to make a double-layered baffle "extender".

This way I stopped both of that happening. Also as can be seen that I put something in front of them. Used transpore medical tape to reduce the slight treble spike somewhere, as I noticed that I got fatigued when listening to female vocals compared to my other gear. Overall, the sound is much more flatter than before, but still with its good signature bass impact, the soundstage increased a bit, and treble is slightly lower than neutral, but lacking significantly to call it dark. Still a warm headphone in the end, only less midbass hump, as far as I can tell.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #83 of 143
Great idea with the baffle extender, I was thinking about something like that but didn't quite know what and didn't want to damage them in the process. 
biggrin.gif

Well... I've got somthing to check out when I get home tonight!

Thanks! jgray91
beerchug.gif

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #85 of 143
just a couple of questions:
doesn't the medical tape attract dust and debris?
does the baffle extender change the sound signature of the PPs and.....where did you get the black pads??
smile.gif

thanks!

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #86 of 143
Quote:
does the baffle extender change the sound signature of the PPs and.....where did you get the black pads??
smile.gif

thanks!

Hey huckfinn!
I can't answer the first two as I have not done the mod yet but the black pads in the first set of pictures are Sennheiser PX 200-II pads from eBay, many sellers and 3 weeks out of China.
The second picture has Grado Bowls on them which were generously sent to me by devouringone3 and you can pick those up from anyone who sells Grado products.

The PX 200 pads are very sweaty if your susceptible to such things, they look good but I took them off for that exact reason.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #88 of 143
:smile:
thanks!

1) I don't know how bad the dust and debris would be attracted to it, but we'll see.
2) no doubt that the baffle extender change a bit of sound; that's what all the mods I've done on my T50RP taught me; it's just the matter of how severe and can I detect it. :p So far it's hard to say since I've changed the pads too. If I had to guess, the extender may change little of the sound.

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #89 of 143
Can somebody post how they were able to transplant the drivers into another enclosure/housing? 
I opened up HD202s and some AKGs but it wasn't evident how I would be able to put the KSC drivers in. It would also require resoldering, correct?

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #90 of 143
It looks like these are the replacement cushions that koss is currently selling.

http://www.koss.com/en/products/accessories#/?filters[0].key=accessory%20type&filters[0].value=c88b6d4c43204b3ab6475bd4110b35a0

Which ones would roughly be the equivalent of the SST/5 cushions?  I would plan to use whichever ones with the HD212 pads as suggested by OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back