Taking Koss Portapro to the Limit (cool mods).
Jul 14, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #121 of 143
I have opened them because they stopped working. In fact I am unsure if it was me doing it when opening because one earphone got smashed and lost sound. Anyhow I tried to rip cable and solder it again but there was no sound. But I am sure I can make it play again just the diphragm is a problem at the moment. I got nice cable and good solder for it finally.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #122 of 143
These are my version of taking Portapro's to the limit inspired by the excellent comments and posts made in this thread. I did the Kramer mod which is a great improvement, with plastic extensions to use the Grado ear cups (I bought some improved versions from eBay in Hong Kong) and changed the band for the Parts Express $3.00 version - which I really love. I use the drivers out of the KSC 35's and some other Portapros I had around. The cables are one pair of OCC copper, one pair of pure silver and one of pure silver and silver with gold on the ground (not shown). All wires are 26 AWG as bigger wires cause problems with the retention clips at the driver.

They sound great! They do not play loud but they are super light and a joy for walking around and for traveling. I can't do that with my Orpheus!

Thanks to all.

best,

David

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #124 of 143
  Finally got the Grado Bowls mounted on the Porta Pro's
biggrin.gif

Where can I find these pads and do they simply mount up? 

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #125 of 143
Bluetooth + MP3 + optional wire Mod!
You can also connect an extra set of headphones and share the music.

I plan to add either a 700mah battery on the other side (should give 35 hours of play time) or (and?) a small solar panel. Under the sun it should charge 3 times faster than it discharges so it may be enough not to have to charge it ever again.

Bluetooth sound quality is great and these are so comfortable without cables!

I'll do the same mod to a friend's portaPro soon so I may make a video tutorial.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #126 of 143
It's amazing that one of most popular portable headphone has drivers that have such HUGE potential to sound simply outstanding when modded properly. Porta Pros were my first better headphone and I modded them a lot back in days with various earpad mods and kramer mod, until I bought more high end phones. I however again interested in porta pros and bought black edition.

Sound quality right out of the box is quite underwhelming, as they're do require some burn-in to achieve their true potential and driver protecting grill has too much plastic coverin the driver element. After burn-in and kramer mod they can sound pretty amazing compared to stock but let's not stop there. I diy made also some new ear foams which add more comfort since they're a bit larger than stock foams.

Yesterday I read about 'hole in driver element' mod, and today I got brave enough to execute that mod. It's basically pretty simple to make, but it's completely non-reversible, and you have to be quite brave to actually poke a hole in the middle of your driver element. I didn't really poke the hole, but melted it with tip of soldering iron. I made only about 2mm diameter hole. What it's supposed to achieve is to make air movement easier between both sides of driver element, and since it makes driver movement more effortless. Well results? Really positive, bass amount is very slightly decreased but it has gained more clarity. Whole sound is aswell more airy and effortless, details are easier to hear and sound imaging is more precise. I do feel Porta Pro sound signature is still retained but with those improvements.

Koss Porta Pro has never sounded this good, and good thing is they're still foldable and portable. Here's some pictures:

IMG_20180129_172337.jpgIMG_20180129_172537.jpg

IMG_20180129_164131.jpg

PS: This thread is the home of my hifi hobby, where it all started :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #127 of 143
Hole in a dome mod eliminates mylar cone motion breakup, but it shifts resonances downwards. You will gain some but also lose some http://rinchoi.blogspot.fi/2013/01/sennheiser-hd800-part3-in-depth.html read that link for more information. Another mod to try is this https://positive-feedback.com/Issue21/standingwaves.htm To my understanding soundwaves traveling along surface bounce back when surface geometry changes abruptly. According to Bud Purvine, inventor of this EnABL pattern, this 'bounce back' causes transient standing waves, which smears sound. I have done this to my Beyerdynamic DT 480. I carefully applied very small blobs of blutak around every hole in the front grill. 5 per hole. I also glued 2 mm x 2 mm paperblocks on the perimeter of the baffle. It really works, sound is effortless and non-fatiquing. Imaging is more accurate and resolution is better. Sound gets more transparent and it is clear if recording has treble problems. I have not done this to my PortaPro. This ( _ _ - - _ _ - - ) pattern could be added to around the holes of PortaPro´s plastic grill. Zig-zag pattern should also work as well.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #128 of 143
Ok guys here is my take on this classics. :)
One evening of fun and recabling to balanced plus adapter to 3.5 is here. Did Kramer mod as well but honestly isn't much improvement there. Main thing I had some fun to doing it.
portapros_recabled.jpg

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #129 of 143
Ok guys here is my take on this classics. :)
One evening of fun and recabling to balanced plus adapter to 3.5 is here. Did Kramer mod as well but honestly isn't much improvement there. Main thing I had some fun to doing it.
Looks great! Does the balanced Porta Pros sound better from balanced source than single-end version? I don't have any dap with balanced out, nor have any experience at all about balanced sound. I'm thinking about recabling my portas aswell, I'm just not familiar with headphone cables and don't know what would be a good cable. I'm a bit surprised that kramer mod didn't make sound improvements for you. When I first time did kramer mod years ago, and I didn't even have too trained hifi ear yet, but to me kramer mod was like a revelation, almost like night and day difference in sound quality. But anyway, we all hear differently and fun-factor is the main thing about modding like you said. :)

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #130 of 143
Looks great! Does the balanced Porta Pros sound better from balanced source than single-end version? I don't have any dap with balanced out, nor have any experience at all about balanced sound. I'm thinking about recabling my portas aswell, I'm just not familiar with headphone cables and don't know what would be a good cable. I'm a bit surprised that kramer mod didn't make sound improvements for you. When I first time did kramer mod years ago, and I didn't even have too trained hifi ear yet, but to me kramer mod was like a revelation, almost like night and day difference in sound quality. But anyway, we all hear differently and fun-factor is the main thing about modding like you said. :)

Thank you. You're right looks great. They actually looks much better then they sound :)))
They definitely benefits from balanced source, more highs and clarity. Not more by big margin but you can distinguish it. I just actually got them, They brand new. So may be because I wasn't familiar with their performance before they not impressing me much. To sounds okay you should listen them on a high volume which is not ideal in many situations. Anyway I'm not regretting for getting them since having fun was the main reason :)

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #131 of 143
Thank you. You're right looks great. They actually looks much better then they sound :)))
They definitely benefits from balanced source, more highs and clarity. Not more by big margin but you can distinguish it. I just actually got them, They brand new. So may be because I wasn't familiar with their performance before they not impressing me much. To sounds okay you should listen them on a high volume which is not ideal in many situations. Anyway I'm not regretting for getting them since having fun was the main reason :)
Oh they're brand new? In that case apply some hours burn-in and listen if you hear any improvement after that. I was actually quite underwhelmed by my porta pros, until last week after I applied some burn-in. Black edition is my second pair, and they're relatively new. I did kramer mod almost right out of box and I wasn't too impressed how they sounded after that, so I but them aside, and until last week I thought I'd give them some proper burn-in, and then magic happened. Maybe that was reason why I had such big effect with kramer mod with my first pair, than I had with my second pair, because they weren't properly burnt-in yet.

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #132 of 143
BLEC!!!!!!!!!

SORBOTHANE

Live it. Breath it,

May 15, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #133 of 143
Anyone recable these with a built in mic/volume button? The KTC version has many complaints about the cable durability. I thought I could take a pair of durable iem's and use it's cable with mic/volume for these.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #135 of 143
I decided to mod my portapros little further by removing almost whole diaphgram of drivers. I again used my solder iron to melt the hole to driver element, and went quite close to voice coils. I carelessly first had iron tip on, which of course got pulled by magnet of driver, almost ruined the whole driver! Luckily it didn't touch voice coil and stayed center enough. I switched to copper tip, which isn't magnetic so I could finely trim diaphgrams off. So it was done, and I was excited to hear results. Well, results weren't that good...:triportsad: Sound had become quite loose and messy. Maybe slightly warmer too, and fine details seemed to be reduced slightly. Not good... So I thought some sorbothane would help. I put little square piece of sorbothane duro 70 to center of driver since diaphgrams were removed, and trimmed it thinner but thick enough that it would touch the driver grills. Results? Fantastic! All that looseness was gone, and clarity was back. Now sound is very smooth but very detailed and natural. Soundstage has good width and surprisingly good depth too, with very decent imaging. :) Succesful mod, afterall!
IMG_20180918_223340.jpgIMG_20180918_224132.jpg
Honeyview_09185411..jpg
I have also transformed my Portas into balanced to use with my Xuelin ihifi1969 dap, sounds very good! :L3000: I found that headband from flea market years ago, and I believe it's quite similiar to parts-express headband. However it had one side broken, but I fixed it simply with electric tape. I love how light it is, and no more hair issues like on portapro headband.:beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back