Taking Koss Portapro to the Limit (cool mods).
Sep 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #91 of 143
Was playing around tonight and decided to pick up a pair of porta pros since they were only $20 at the store.  For the meantime since I'm very ghetto I've improved fit and comfort simply with a solid cable extension and a velcro shoulder pad from a tablet messenger bag.  Will post a pic later for people to snicker at. :wink:

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #92 of 143
Went ahead a realized that I had another shoulder strap from another bag which was smaller and not ever going to be used on the bag it went with again.  Only problem was it was a solid piece without any way to open or close it so I had to dig out the hook and loop fasteners and scissors.

Already cut old frayed shoulder strap pad from a Slappa bag and some Velcro brand hook and loop I cut in half.

Trick I learned about Hook and Loop, you increase the strength of it if you separate your total surface into two halves and have 1 rough and 1 smooth strip on each surface.

Complete ghetto mod open albeit with a lot of frayed fabric I should burn off soon (the bag and strap have been through a lot).

Closed and on the portapros.

My temporary fix for the very short cables until I can find some time to tinker and solder on some detachable inputs and better DR wire.

You may proceed with your laughter now.

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #93 of 143
Nice job!
No laughter in this thread as we all love our Porta Pro's. If what you do makes them more enjoyable, then props to you and thanks for sharing!
:beerchug:

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #94 of 143
Nice job!
No laughter in this thread as we all love our Porta Pro's. If what you do makes them more enjoyable, then props to you and thanks for sharing!
beerchug.gif

Now to only figure out what to use the bag that came with it for since the headphones obviously were never intended to fit in there easily. :frowning2:

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #95 of 143
I do use the little bag to store mine in, they could have added an extra inch or two of material and made is easier to use.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #98 of 143
  What is the best way to make the holes for the Kramer mod?

I just used a regular drill. But there is a drill bit designed for plastic that might be optimal. Check out the 5 minute mark of this video (trindymom's sportapro mods video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMFGuNa2WEM

I like how the instant I figured out that I could get them collapsed smaller than what I thought was structurally possible, I misplaced the bag in the house somewhere. :frowning2:

Now THAT is funny! I hope you found them again!

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #99 of 143
Hi guys! My first post on here. So I just picked these up the other day. Since I'm an 80's kid, they really reminded me of my childhood. The sound however, was amazing for the cheap price. After Trying the drivers alone out on my motorola bluetooth headset, I was blown away by how good they still sounded considering the lack of wires. The stock headgear from koss, however, is waaaay better than the crappy motorola behind-the-neck jazz. So I'm doing this, cause I can. Behold, my new workout headphones!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HBiBfCj0g_o/UrZaF8VHmiI/AAAAAAAAAKk/az6-N-mNXHI/w802-h451-no/DSC01975.JPG

Mar 10, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #100 of 143
Recently i was looking for info about HD 800 ring radiator transducer.I found this blog: http://rinchoi.blogspot.fi/2013/01/sennheiser-hd800-part3-in-depth.html Then i wondered if hole in the diaphgram would work in PortaPro.First i cutted off some of that plastic grill.Then i pressed the middledome against the magnet with finger and cutted off the dome.This operation needed steady hands,patience and tweezer.
The results? Simply magnificent!!  Overall sound performance has improved significantly.Gone is that loose bass,somewhat veiled sound,lack of details and fuzzy imaging.

Here are my observations:

BASS:
What i noticed first after this mod was how tight and very well controlled bass became.I haven´t compared these with HE-500,but i think the bass tightness is propably on par with it.Bass is also quite textured aswell.

MIDS:
I have to admit that i´m not that good reviewing midrange.All i can say is that it sounds more detailed and thus,more realistic.

TREBLE:
At first i didn´t notice any difference in treble.After a while,improvements in resolution and speed started to get more noticeable.Treble is now much more refined and smoother.Not smooth like planar magnetics can be but not rough either.This modded PP is now more detailed than SRH 940 and HE-500 were ever,at least for me.I suggest to raise treble for about 2 db´s.

IMAGING:
Biggest surprise was the super precise imaging.First time ever i was able to locate individual instruments and hear previously unheard ambience information.Imaging was also quite out of your head (depending of recording) which is something i´m missing with HE-500.Instrument separation also became unbelievably good.

SOUNDSTAGE:
Soundstage grew noticeably.It is also airier than ever before.

TRANSIENTS:
Crisper,weightier and faster.For now i cant say much more.Need to listen more.

Did this mod make PP sound analytical like HD 800? No,absolutely not.That PP signature is retained.So you get fun and accuracy in same package.I have not detected any peaks on 5-6 khz region described in the link i posted above.So far this modification makes PP technically better than all the other above mentioned headphones.

I hope you will try this mod and share your observations.This mod surely works with all dynamic headphones.

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #101 of 143
Finally got the Grado Bowls mounted on the Porta Pro's
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #102 of 143
Any way you could let us know how you mounted the bowls?!
Did you use the baffle extender shown earlier?
I have the bowls and have been simply putting them on the stock cushions. I'd like to make it more permanent and less flimsy (at times).
Also, any change in sound dynamics?

May 9, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #103 of 143
  Any way you could let us know how you mounted the bowls?!
Did you use the baffle extender shown earlier?
I have the bowls and have been simply putting them on the stock cushions. I'd like to make it more permanent and less flimsy (at times).
Also, any change in sound dynamics?

Yes I used the baffle extenders as posted earlier, two cardboard circles attached with double faced tape.
My mod is not a permanent solution either, I wanted to see how they sounded before I made a baffle out of plastic and glued it on.

The sound should be very similar to you putting the bowls over the stock pads, the treble will be a tad brighter with the stock pads gone, and a little less bass due to the drivers a little further away from your ears.

Try it with a cardboard extender taped on first and see.
beerchug.gif

May 14, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #104 of 143
I've got more than one pair of these. I went and ordered some leatherette pads for these. . .but I was in Target and saw a pair of cheap headphones for less than cost of the pads I got online (but haven't arrived yet). The stock cheap Target phones actually weren't all that bad, but I knew the Portapros sounded better. I took the drivers off of the Portapros and they were the same size as the cheap headphones - so I stuck the drivers in the cheap cans housing - and it became a quick mod that did no irreversible damage to the Portapros - I did rip out the cheap can components though since I can go back to Target and get more if I wanted to do it again. I'm thinking of maybe trying this with the KSC75s. I stuck stickers on the sides from work. All that is left is to get the vinyl "b" stickers on ebay - but I don't want to do that lest I might get mugged for my knockoffs that sound better but cost 20% of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back