taking headphone suggestions
Feb 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

uswhovian

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to invest in my first pair of cans. I have just used earbuds previously but fell in love with a friends headphones. However, there are a ton of headphones out there and I have no idea where to start.

I only have several requirements for my future set of headphones
First I am looked for closed over the ear headphones ( I wear glasses so they need to be fairly comfortable)
I plan on using them for walking around my university campus and traveling. So extra noise isolation and minimized sound leakage is  a plus.That being said they need to be able to be powered by an iphone. I don't plan on buying an amp.  I've looked at the m30s but they have an uber long cable which isn't removable. I would prefer to have a removable cable but next to that a shorter more on the go length cable.  I also want a decent sound quality, I know I can't expect a 100 dollar headphone to sound like a 700 dollar one. But some headphones appear to be clearly superior to others even in the same price range in sound quality. Last but not least I am hoping to spend no more than around 70 dollars. I know it isn't much but I am on a student's budget. I don't care what the retail price is; if i can buy a refurb headphone for around 70 bucks feel free to suggest it.

That all being said, does anyone have some suggestions? because I am feeling totally lost and overwhelmed. Thanks for the help. :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I feel ya. I've lived on noodles for weeks at a time to buy stuff I can't afford...

Look into:

Creative Aurvana Live
Philips Citiscape Uptown
Koss Pro DJ100
AKG K67/K618DJ
JVC S500

I know some of them are above $70 currently but I have seen all of them in that price range at some time or another. If you can't find them now I suggest waiting a little bit to see if the prices fluctuate.

Or... check out the For Sale/Trade Forums here at Head-fi. The people are very trustworthy here and you can definitely save quite a bit buying lightly used gear instead of new ones.

Good luck!

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Sennheiser HD 439 also very reasonable in this price range.  

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
This http://www.head-fi.org/t/651827/fs-minty-sennheiser-hd-595-headphones

Very good headphone for the price.

No question that the hd 595 are a big step up, though more expensive.  However they are an open design -- so no isolation to speak of.  Not sure they would be the right thing for OPs "walking around my university campus and traveling".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back