1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

taking headphone suggestions

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by uswhovian, Feb 18, 2013.
  1. uswhovian
    Hey guys,

So I'm looking to invest in my first pair of cans. I have just used earbuds previously but fell in love with a friends headphones. However, there are a ton of headphones out there and I have no idea where to start.

I only have several requirements for my future set of headphones
    First I am looked for closed over the ear headphones ( I wear glasses so they need to be fairly comfortable)
    I plan on using them for walking around my university campus and traveling. So extra noise isolation and minimized sound leakage is  a plus.That being said they need to be able to be powered by an iphone. I don't plan on buying an amp.  I've looked at the m30s but they have an uber long cable which isn't removable. I would prefer to have a removable cable but next to that a shorter more on the go length cable.  I also want a decent sound quality, I know I can't expect a 100 dollar headphone to sound like a 700 dollar one. But some headphones appear to be clearly superior to others even in the same price range in sound quality. Last but not least I am hoping to spend no more than around 70 dollars. I know it isn't much but I am on a student's budget. I don't care what the retail price is; if i can buy a refurb headphone for around 70 bucks feel free to suggest it.

That all being said, does anyone have some suggestions? because I am feeling totally lost and overwhelmed. Thanks for the help. :)

2. viralcow
    I feel ya. I've lived on noodles for weeks at a time to buy stuff I can't afford...

Look into:

Creative Aurvana Live
    Philips Citiscape Uptown
    Koss Pro DJ100
    AKG K67/K618DJ
    JVC S500

I know some of them are above $70 currently but I have seen all of them in that price range at some time or another. If you can't find them now I suggest waiting a little bit to see if the prices fluctuate.

Or... check out the For Sale/Trade Forums here at Head-fi. The people are very trustworthy here and you can definitely save quite a bit buying lightly used gear instead of new ones.

Good luck!

3. flatmap
    Sennheiser HD 439 also very reasonable in this price range.  

4. 727south
    This http://www.head-fi.org/t/651827/fs-minty-sennheiser-hd-595-headphones

Very good headphone for the price.

5. flatmap
    Quote:
    No question that the hd 595 are a big step up, though more expensive.  However they are an open design -- so no isolation to speak of.  Not sure they would be the right thing for OPs "walking around my university campus and traveling".