T50RP vs M50.
Feb 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #16 of 26
Well i take it from my research..these will blow out dynamics out of the water even the hd800 and t1 regarding the raw driver in areas and not the damping techniques involved in the stock headphone.

They have smooth mids and well stock well they beat the hd650 and k701 for being neutral and the voices sound much more like life.

You will be impressed with these just make sure you got a beefy amp..the amp does affect the sound of these on my bcl linear they sound great.

You just have to read that thread because i am not the only one but experienced people. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #17 of 26
I've had mine a week and I will say that you probably will want to do some basic mods like adding mass to the baffles and some dampening foam or felt in the cups because you can hear plastic resonances on many songs due to the poor housing. The basic mods really do appear to be simple and cheap though and well worth the effort! Join the other thread for more info and help: 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 26
I don't think we need to get into a dynamic  vs. ortho discussion here.  I agree, and have stated before, that the T50RP do punch above their weight.  To call them better than $1000 flagship headphones is a bit dangerous, though.  They aren't perfect, even with a lot of damping.  They are simply really good.

I'm not sure I'd consider mine any better than the DT990/600, for instance.  I'd hate to create too many expectations for people.

Quote:
Well i take it from my research..these will blow out dynamics out of the water even the hd800 and t1 regarding the raw driver in areas and not the damping techniques involved in the stock headphone.

They have smooth mids and well stock well they beat the hd650 and k701 for being neutral and the voices sound much more like life.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #22 of 26
My T50 RP isn´t as good as head-fi it appears :p 

As for comparing to more high end headphones not a chance it competes with higher end dynamics or the LCD-2. I don´t hear the potential anyway. I do remember it having a great mid range. I say remember because I changed earpads on them due to just being to uncomfortable. They are a bit bright on my current system with velour pads so can´t do a straight comparison to the M50 I just got.

The M50 has sub bass the T50RP has not. I remember it being quite weak in stock form as well. I have to press the drivers to my ears to get it audible for tracks that likes to play with that. M50 on the other hand is booming way to often on my Ref-9/GHP.

Otherwise as for comfort again the T50RP doesn´t seem to be designed for someone to actually wear them. No padding, the head band is in a weird shape and I just can´t get a good seal without holding them. They don´t isolate all that well thus either. Heavy are they surely with metal bars even to add to the weight. I suspect they have a bigger chance surviving a holocaust then the M50 but I must say that does make me biased to the M50. It´s not like the LCD-2 that sounds so bloody good you forget about any discomfort.

The T50RP was 60$ when I bought them new. The M50 I bought for 220$ approx. I would pay more for the M50 but not that much perhaps.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #23 of 26
Just bought the 
fostex-t50rp.914037.jpg
t50rp on impulse. Have no idea if they will match my WA2, but at USD79, what the heck, and besides I've got a Naim Headline and a bed-side speaker-amp with extra speaker terminals.And I see there are some mods. Hope they are not bright. Hate bright headphones. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #24 of 26
From personal experience

Stock: HD650 > M50 > T50RP

Simple Mods: T50RP = HD650 > M50

And I've heard that if you give them the full Thunderpants treatment

R10 > Modded Wharfdale ID1 > Thunderpants > ALL OTHER CLOSED HEADPHONES

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #25 of 26
I see people comparing this to the HD650, but would it work well as a companion headphone? Are their sound signatures similar?

I may want to replace my M50s with them if that's the case.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #26 of 26
T50RP will not be anything incredible stock just remember that.  You might not like what you hear.  After some simple modifications it should be able to best your M50, but if you like your M50, especially the bass, it will be a much different type of bass than the M50 that you are used to.  If you put in a lot of hard work it can rival high end headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back