T50RP or T40RP
Sep 27, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 22
Semi-open versus closed. There are conflicting reports of same driver, different driver, maybe different magnets; I'm waiting for a definitive source myself. Maybe contact Fostex.

There was a user (Hennyo?) who was able to get some great intel on distribution amd anticipate supply. I tried to do a little of the same, without much success. But I did put myself on B&H's "notify when in stock" list. When stock arrived, I got an email, I ordered. Easy enough to wonder why people were in such a frenzy while these things were on backorder.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 22
How can I make the T40's open?

Push a paperclip through the lower vent to remove the plastic glued over the vent on the inside.

The T40RP MK2 now has the same driver as the T50RP
http://www.headfonia.com/the-fostex-orthodynamics-t50rp-and-t40rp-mk2/

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 22
Nevermind, found an answer from Smeggy in another thread. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/508739/if-not-planning-to-mod-any-reason-to-get-fostex-t40rp-or-t20rp-over-the-t50rpv2#post_7501859

Quote: Smeggy
The 40 and 50 drivers are not identical. Their tech specs are different and the housing of the 50 is black, the 40 and 20 are white and less cleanly made. I can't say for certain what the actual detailed differences are with the drivers but they don't look or sound the same. I tried modding a couple of T40RPs and they were never as good as the 50. The 50 is simply a better driver. I didn't spend much time comparing the stock phones because in my case it really doesn't matter as I almost immediately take them apart. The T40 drivers are in pieces somewhere, I got curious :wink:

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #8 of 22
That's the quote that threw me off, because Mike at Headfonia opened both up and said they're the same.
http://www.headfonia.com/the-fostex-orthodynamics-t50rp-and-t40rp-mk2/

I wasn't (and still am not) sure what to make of it.  Someone else on Head-Fi pasted in some copy from Fostex that suggested the magnets were different and now they're not.  Confusion.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
Well I think Smeggy knows a lot more about them than Mike, who is likely just saying that from the looks of the driver. 

Idk Smeggy said that he doesn't spend much time comparing stock and Mike seems to have done his research. Well. I can't find T50RP's in stock so I guess I ahve to go with the inferior T40RP MkII

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 22
According to Fostex, the T50RP can play louder. That's the only difference I know of.

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 22
You can't find T50RP's in stock because all of Head-Fi is buying them up to modify them into Giant Killers....(aka Thunderpants/Rastapants/other mods).

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 22
You can't find T50RP's in stock because all of Head-Fi is buying them up to modify them into Giant Killers....(aka Thunderpants/Rastapants/other mods).

This is actually true... Only a few hundred of these come to the US a month. (150-300 dep on month.)

I'd say headfi has done a pretty good job of cleaning them up over the last month or so..

Oct 1, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:

Actually I was told that it was because Fostex got hit pretty hard by the tsunami including losing a lot of workers. 
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Actually I was told that it was because Fostex got hit pretty hard by the tsunami including losing a lot of workers. 
frown.gif

That's what I heard as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back