T1 v. DT880/600, Round 1
Jun 18, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #62 of 213

Quote:
Dumb question(s): What do HRTF and TOTL stand for?  : )

HRTF = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

TOTL = Top Of The Line

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #64 of 213
I get the impression that people think there's something wrong with Pasta cause he prefers the 880/600 & 501 over the T1..It's like people are trying to make excuses why he likes them more then the T1.. When did price or 'better' dictate musical enjoyment.

My recommendation. Sell the T1. This isn't science, don't waste your time trying to figure out why you aren't completely enthralled with the T1. Life is too short. & there's too much good music to be heard.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #65 of 213
anyone can compare T1 to DT-990 250, or 600ohm?

From this graph 880 has less bass,990s has more bass and there is more highs. What about transparency, is that so much difference?

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #66 of 213

Quote:
Well the treble is not as bright on the T1s as it is on the D7000s to my ears and in my system  
The mid bass not doubt the D7000s are warmer, but the treble on the D7000s can lead one to call them brighter in that range.

OK, I'm getting a handle on Frank's frame of reference.......  Apparently everything is relative.

He said his 701s are bright and now you say the D7000s are brighter than the T-1s.. 

So it makes sense that relative to his 701s and D7000s, he wouldn't classify the T-1s as bright.

Quote:
I have heard/owned the 880s and they were certainly bright to my ears. But the T1s are slightly on the warm/lush side of neutral on my setup with my ears.

To my ears, and relative to the cans I have, the 701s are brighter than my '03 880s which are brighter than my 650s, which are definitely warm.  Never heard D7000s.

Quote:
The DT880/'03, while decried as overly bright by many head-fiers, were never bright to my ears on any of my set-ups, nor are or ever were the DT880/600..... 

So, I would not characterize the T1 as warm headphones, either.....

... with what seems to be an unusual humming phenomenon with my and USG's T1s and no one else's--which feed a recurring suspicion that my T1 and possibly USG's are somehow defective....

I don't think their defective. 
triportsad.gif

Listening to some discs this afternoon.  I certainly wouldn't call the  T-1s warm but they don't seem to be overly bright either.........

Do you hear the static from all your amps?  I don't get any from my M^3.

Quote:
Could be you just do not like them......(referring to Pat)

Upstate just wants a perfected Senn 650 and he should look at the 800.....

I like my 880s just fine.
beyersmile.png
  And I like my 650s just as much.
k701smile.gif

I would have settled for a perfect '03 880, but now that you mention it, a perfect 650 would be even better.
darthsmile.gif
  But I don't think the 800s are anything like the 650s.

I've always felt those two headphones, the 880s and the 650s, were like diametrically opposed opposites and because their sound signatures were so different, it was worth having both.

Although I remain undecided about the T-1s I am warming to them with the best recordings.

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that Beyer's TOTL $1300 hand-built headphones would have such gross sound defects and mismatch among units. I really do believe this is a matter of preference which relies heavily upon individual HRTF. No matter how cheap, I've never had a defective headphone out of the box and I've owned a quite a few. Beyer in particular has been renowned for its build quality and durability. There are lots of people who aren't impressed by the T1's sound, of which you're one of, and not because the headphone is broken IMO.
regular_smile .gif

I don't think they're broken either. 

Maybe it's just that the T-1s aren't that impressive and my expectations are affecting my judgement.

USG

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #67 of 213
One thing now that I have two days in is the weight of the T1. They are pretty heavy. I can listen to the D7000 all day with no issues as they are very light. Both at the end of yesterday and today I feel neck pain at the end of about 6 hrs and not steady hours. I will see if this gets any better next few days. I like the signature and sound of the T1 very much and by the end of the 2nd week I will know the score. I have a herniated disc and spinal stenosis in my neck so I need to make sure I can handle the comfort issue, The signature has remained the same as far as sound. More detail than the D7000 andmore transparency. Bass is good and highs are very nice. Still no sibilance issue for me.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #68 of 213
USG:
"Do you hear the static from all your amps?  I don't get any from my M^3."

PAB:
I get static from both the Bada and the Darkvoice, with markedly less from the Darkvoice.  Haven't checked with either of the SS set-ups yet (Denon 1940CI>>Denon AVR-1905 or RAM-Samsung HD841>>AMC XIA integrated).

At this point, it's not all that important to me.  If I cannot enjoy the T1 with my "best gear" set-up, why bother with the rest?  (Although, the D5000 did surprise me, and sounded killer over the HD-841/XIA combination.  Better than over the Bada, I thought at the time.) 

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #69 of 213

Quote:
Although I remain undecided about the T-1s I am warming to them with the best recordings.

I don't think they're broken either. 

Maybe it's just that the T-1s aren't that impressive and my expectations are affecting my judgement.

USG

For me, keeping the T1 for only the best recordings in my collection is unwarranted.  If something cataclysmic doesn't occur within the next 100 hours, the T1 will find their way onto the FS threads.  

As this audition goes on, I find myself consistently and uniformly preferring the DT880/600 to the T1.  And that preference seems to be getting more decided the more I a/b these two products.

Admittedly, I was initially very impressed with the T1.  But as time went by, and I began to listen more attentively and critically to the T1--particularly alongside the DT880/600 and the K501--I grew less impressed and more disappointed.  Certainly not the turn of events I would have anticipated, given my prior and very positive reception of the DT880/600, and my long history with the DT880/2003.  

But there it is: I have tried to like the T1, yet something's just not clicking for me.  Again, for me, the T1 ultimately seem to bear just enough of the sonic character of the DT880/250 (2005), and analogously to have lost the magic of the DT880/2003; whereas, the DT880/600 have retained at least some discernible portion of that magic.  

At this point, I believe it will be money better spent on a UP-OCC copper cable upgrade for the DT880/600 than on the T1.  My last hurrah would be getting the DT880/2003, getting them recabled, then calling it a day.

Now if you will excuse me, I am heading downstairs to enjoy the DT880/600 driven by WeeeeeeSquirrel's "Overhaulin'" DV336SE.  : )

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #70 of 213

Quote:
I get the impression that people think there's something wrong with Pasta cause he prefers the 880/600 & 501 over the T1..It's like people are trying to make excuses why he likes them more then the T1.. When did price or 'better' dictate musical enjoyment.

My recommendation. Sell the T1. This isn't science, don't waste your time trying to figure out why you aren't completely enthralled with the T1. Life is too short. & there's too much good music to be heard.

Sage advice, KBBI, which I intend to act upon.  : )  

With the proceeds from the sale of the T1, I could finally get me a pair of them DT48!  : )

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #72 of 213

Quote:
The DT880/'03, while decried as overly bright by many head-fiers, were never bright to my ears on any of my set-ups, nor are or ever were the DT880/600.  

With my set-up, the DT880/600 definitely sound warmer and smoother than the T1.  The T1 impart a very precise, "cookie cutter" definition to things, which to my ears does not sound warm, or at least not as warm as the DT880/600.  

So, I would not characterize the T1 as warm headphones, either.  They have a bassy "glow" to them, but to me it is not an intensive bass quality (thereby disqualifying them from my definition of warm), rather an extensive bass quality.

I've personally never heard the D7000, but based on my experience with the D5000, I cannot imagine, given the present state of things, the T1 sounding smoother in the treble.  

It's statements like that from you, MH,--coupled with what seems to be an unusual humming phenomenon with my and USG's T1s and no one else's--which feed a recurring suspicion that my T1 and possibly USG's are somehow defective.  

Even with David Chesky's very well mastered "Club del Sol", the T1 still sound edgy here and there, despite my deliberate choice of a smoother- and mellower-than-normal tube set.

If I were to get a pair of DT880 having '03 housings fitted with 600 ohm drivers, I think I could live happily without the T1 at this point.  : )

Agreed, it just seems just too weird that we are hearing different things. The D7000's treble is a step up from the D5000s, and the T1's is in a different league IMO. "Edgy" is the last word I would use to describe them (beyer T1s) with my 38 year old ears either. I think maybe there is something wrong with your pair. If you're ever in Toronto, drop by, it would be great to compare our two T1s.
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #73 of 213

Quote:

OK, I'm getting a handle on Frank's frame of reference.......  Apparently everything is relative.

He said his 701s are bright and now you say the D7000s are brighter than the T-1s.. 

USG, Just to confirm, I don't think the D7000s are brighter...overall, but their treble certainly is brighter/hotter than the T1s. Just a clarification point.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #74 of 213

Quote:
Agreed, it just seems just too weird that we are hearing different things. The D7000's treble is a step up from the D5000s, and the T1's is in a different league IMO. "Edgy" is the last word I would use to describe them (beyer T1s) with my 38 year old ears either. I think maybe there is something wrong with your pair. If you're ever in Toronto, drop by, it would be great to compare our two T1s.
biggrin.gif

source?  amps?  i thought the treble of the DT990/600 was pretty tame and with a non-offensive sparkle (i'm 35 yrs old).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back