T1 v. DT880/600, Round 1
Jun 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #76 of 213

Quote:
My gear is in my sig.

yes, i should have said differences between what you have and P.B.  i've not heard it, but supposedly the the PS Audio is a sweeter sounding DAC.  

Jun 19, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #78 of 213
T1 TAKES STANDING EIGHT-COUNT

Whoa!  Everything I have said previously may have been due to insufficient break-in.  

I was ready to permanently retire the T1 to their packing box.  But before doing so, I decided to listen to Cat Stevens' "Into White", first on the K501, then on the T1, then on the DT880/600.

After hearing the K501, I remarked: "It can't get any better than this".  Then I strapped on the T1, which had been burning in during the course of the day, thinking "We'll make short work of you"!

But wait: it sounded pretty darn good.  I was truly amazed.  It had apparently gone from sharp, Rat Trap cheddar to Camembert in the treble over the past 10 hours.  Incredulous, I respun the very tracks that had sounded edgy earlier in the same day.  Instead, they sounded much smoother, in fact, the T1 seemed to overcompensating in the opposite direction; they were beginning to sound "soft".

Needless to say, I was up until 3:00 a.m. reveling in the newfound warmth, and the promise that things were going to find their way to a golden mean.

Have to go for the rest of the day.  But I will be reporting back soon.

Embarrassed, but relieved and very hopeful,
PAB 

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #79 of 213
seems like a break-in diary...

good that you loved your T1 at last, enjoy it

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #80 of 213
A couple of people said that the T1 is sensitive to correct placement. That may also be the reason for your last experience, pataburd.

Jun 19, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #81 of 213
Now your hitting my soft spot. The 501 does have more in common with the DT48 then the T1.. The T1 is more advanced, but our ears don't go by state of art..I'd be surprised if you like the DT48e better then your 501. It seems like they were made for you. God willing you will find a new model DT48e for a good price. I would recommend the new model for your taste. They sound more conventional with a bit more ample bass.. I hear the 25ohm are a bit faster & detailed then the 200 ohm.. But the 200 ohm give you a more upfront presentation. They should do fine with tubes..Erik swears by them. Either way you go, I wish you the best.

Quote:
Sage advice, KBBI, which I intend to act upon.  : )  

With the proceeds from the sale of the T1, I could finally get me a pair of them DT48!  : )

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #82 of 213

Quote:
T1 TAKES STANDING EIGHT-COUNT

Whoa!  Everything I have said previously may have been due to insufficient break-in.  

I was ready to permanently retire the T1 to their packing box.  But before doing so, I decided to listen to Cat Stevens' "Into White", first on the K501, then on the T1, then on the DT880/600.

After hearing the K501, I remarked: "It can't get any better than this".  Then I strapped on the T1, which had been burning in during the course of the day, thinking "We'll make short work of you"!

But wait: it sounded pretty darn good.  I was truly amazed.  It had apparently gone from sharp, Rat Trap cheddar to Camembert in the treble over the past 10 hours.  Incredulous, I respun the very tracks that had sounded edgy earlier in the same day.  Instead, they sounded much smoother, in fact, the T1 seemed to overcompensating in the opposite direction; they were beginning to sound "soft".

Needless to say, I was up until 3:00 a.m. reveling in the newfound warmth, and the promise that things were going to find their way to a golden mean.

Have to go for the rest of the day.  But I will be reporting back soon.

Embarrassed, but relieved and very hopeful,
PAB 

Excellent news. Your descriptions are exactly what I've been listening too since January ("warmth", "smoother"). What changed? Did you change your amp, cables, or just more burn in? I really didn't listen to mine until I hit 75 hours.

Anyway, that is certainly good news and I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do mine!
L3000.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #83 of 213
What a catharsis!  I'm covered in sweat and ready to flop.  If this had happened in a Baptist church, somebody would be up at the altar while the congregation sang "Just As I Am."

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #89 of 213

Quote:
What a catharsis!  I'm covered in sweat and ready to flop.  If this had happened in a Baptist church, somebody would be up at the altar while the congregation sang "Just As I Am."

first and second verse, standing as we sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back