t1 hd800 d7000,which one for corda concerto better?
Oct 13, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 22
Tough call. I own the Concerto and all three headphones you've listed and they ALL work very well with the Concerto.

What kind of music do you like? Are you more bass centric? or treble happy?

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 22
hey guys, sorry to steal this thread but i've been lurking the forums for a long time and i'm in a similar situation as parislover.

i was looking at going for my first desktop system and was thinking about getting the Meier Corda StageDAC and Concerto combo and using them with denon d7000s.

i listen to all kinds of music ranging from rock, pop, hip hop, alternative, r&b, some latin and reggae. mostly all my music is 16 bit and 44.1khz, encoded in wav format and playing off my macbook pro using itunes. 

i think im after a more neutral to slightly bass oriented type of sound, but im not really sure yet. optimally id use these headphones at home, however my air conditioning can be a bit loud at times and i do enjoy the sound of closed headphones.

if i get the chance i'll go down to my local shop and try and audition these (im hoping thats the right terminology there..) 

thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: oh and sorry i didnt realize this was the full size headphone section

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 22
My preferences officially are as follows.  D7000, T1, HD800 in that sequence...unless we introduce the LCD2, which would take the lead.  I actually kind of like the HD800 more than the T1, but have now found myself developing an almost allergic response to the HD800s treble tilt...so I'm gonna go with the T1 in favor of the HD800 contrary to my previous conclusions.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 22
I would recommend Audio Technica for female vocals, pop, and jazz for your preferences, which seem identical to mine. From my experience, the T1, HD800, and D7000 have slightly recessed mids. I have not heard the Audeze LCD, but that seems to be a great option.

I would recommend the W1000 (w/ a tube amp), W11JPN, and W1000x. These headphones would bring female vocals more upfront than the other choices, but they are less detailed than the choices you offered. Audio Technicas may offer the better sound signature for your musical preferences though, but any of your choices are still great all-rounders with better detail retrieval

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
I would recommend Audio Technica for female vocals, pop, and jazz for your preferences, which seem identical to mine. From my experience, the T1, HD800, and D7000 have slightly recessed mids.

T1/HD8000s have recessed mids? 
eek.gif
LOL...you are the only one to claim that. The T1s could be critiqued for pushing the mids too forward.

There is NOTHING Audio Technica has made to come close to these two headphones IMO. The W1000X is the only AT that I would recommend.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 22
dont need to be defensive over a headphone when i clearly said they were excellent. you made bold statements. i doubt u even tried the W1000x. or any good Audio Tech w/ matching synergy for that matter.

compared to audio tech and for those genres, yes mister. from my experience with the T1 (and the HD800), it lacks the impact for the genres. closed headphones can offer more intimacy in the areas it emphasizes. the W11JPN and W1000 bring the singer's voice the most upfront that i have ever heard. the proximity of their voice is obsolutely breathe-taking and worthy of the goosebumps that it gives. the breathe and voice is emphasized above all else. everything just becomes accompaniment for the voice. that is not to say that T1 and HD800 can not do these genres well. i did say they were excellent all-rounders. emphasis on excellent with much better level of detail retrieval. that can not be argued. in fact, the W1000 has grainy treble, congested mids, and sub-par sub bass response in comparison.

however, i have not heard another headphone that could bring vocals so upfront and still sound natural as Audio Technica. that's where my priorities are for now. i may purchase an HD800, T1, or LCD 2 later on to see if my Woo would help on the vocals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

T1/HD8000s have recessed mids? 
eek.gif
LOL...you are the only one to claim that. The T1s could be critiqued for pushing the mids too forward.

There is NOTHING Audio Technica has made to come close to these two headphones IMO. The W1000X is the only AT that I would recommend.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
dont need to be defensive over a headphone when i clearly said they were excellent. you made bold statements. i doubt u even tried the W1000x. or any good Audio Tech w/ matching synergy for that matter.

compared to audio tech and for those genres, yes mister. from my experience with the T1 (and the HD800), it lacks the impact for the genres. closed headphones can offer more intimacy in the areas it emphasizes. the W11JPN and W1000 bring the singer's voice the most upfront that i have ever heard. the proximity of their voice is obsolutely breathe-taking and worthy of the goosebumps that it gives. the breathe and voice is emphasized above all else. everything just becomes accompaniment for the voice. that is not to say that T1 and HD800 can not do these genres well. i did say they were excellent all-rounders. emphasis on excellent with much better level of detail retrieval. that can not be argued. in fact, the W1000 has grainy treble, congested mids, and sub-par sub bass response in comparison.

however, i have not heard another headphone that could bring vocals so upfront and still sound natural as Audio Technica. that's where my priorities are for now. i may purchase an HD800, T1, or LCD 2 later on to see if my Woo would help on the vocals.

Not defensive...just surprised as by your comments of recessed mids. Honestly, you are the only one to make those claims. Make me wonder....
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 22
you wouldnt be thinking critically if you didnt
wink.gif

Quote:
Not defensive...just surprised as by your comments of recessed mids. Honestly, you are the only one to make those claims. Make me wonder....
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
you wouldnt be thinking critically if you didnt
wink.gif

Here's some critical thinking for ya...

Someone calls the K701s as bass heavy...what's your response? I know what mine is.

Same thing as someone saying that the T1's mids are recessed.
wink_face.gif

They may not be your flavour...no issues with that, but the latter comment is similar to the former one.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 22
ill admit the mids of the T1 was better than the HD800 and D7000, but it didnt stand out to me. It was flat at best. i didnt hear it as forward. however, i was not able to test on my own music, but the store's demo CD. so far, i still would not say it as the end-all in vocals

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
ill admit the mids of the T1 was better than the HD800 and D7000, but it didnt stand out to me. It was flat at best. i didnt hear it as forward. however, i was not able to test on my own music, but the store's demo CD. so far, i still would not say it as the end-all in vocals

What was the amp that you used?

Must be quite the store to demo $1300 headphones. As tough as these stores are to find, typically their amps are crappy CD players (from my experience). Before I bought my HD800s, I brought my tube amp to the store and listened for 30 minutes or so to some of my favourite CDs before passing judgment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back