T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Oct 20, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #1,531 of 1,834
I also have been a bit disappointed using the T wireless with my iPhone 13.
You can buy a relatively cheap usb dongle for iOS devices that does aptx and shows with a coloured led what codec it is using. That way you can try for yourself if there is any difference between AAC and aptX (hugely debated on this thread :wink:) for you with your system. Off course the dongles themselves could theoretically affect SQ, but on the Roon thread linked above you can read experiences of people who care about SQ a lot :).

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #1,532 of 1,834

Just to double check, is it normal to occasionally hear a small crackle when switching between songs and different sources? I don't hear it consistently, but somewhat often. Everything is fine once the music kicks in.

I can't wait to try it wired. So far I have my eye on the Ferrum ERCO or maybe the RME ADI 2.

If it makes you feel better, while I do believe it's better, it might not be better enough for you to justify the high price. Heck, you may even prefer the H9 and/or Bathys over it. I would definitely buy it from a place with a good return policy. That way, if you don't like it or don't think it's worth the money, you can easily return it (likely for a restock fee, but still cheaper than losing out on the total price).
I do like the H9 (3G) for several reasons: the sound is fun, touch controls, comfort, general build quality. I do think the Bathys sound better and show up the H9's weaknesses (bigger, clearer sound than the H9, better instrument separation) but they are no more comfortable to me, and I find the buttons badly placed/ designed. However, the Bathys actually replaced a Dali io-6, which I liked a lot sound-wise but found rather uncomfortable, and the microphone was poor, which mattered as I used them at work. The Bathys have a better microphone. So it's Bathys at work and H9s at home, for now. I'm basically curious about the Solitaire T's. Your suggestion is a good one, or I'll wait until they drop in price or look secondhand at some point.

Oct 20, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,533 of 1,834
I do like the H9 (3G) for several reasons: the sound is fun, touch controls, comfort, general build quality. I do think the Bathys sound better and show up the H9's weaknesses (bigger, clearer sound than the H9, better instrument separation) but they are no more comfortable to me, and I find the buttons badly placed/ designed. However, the Bathys actually replaced a Dali io-6, which I liked a lot sound-wise but found rather uncomfortable, and the microphone was poor, which mattered as I used them at work. The Bathys have a better microphone. So it's Bathys at work and H9s at home, for now. I'm basically curious about the Solitaire T's. Your suggestion is a good one, or I'll wait until they drop in price or look secondhand at some point.
Hifishark is your friend :) https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=T+A+Solitaire+t

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #1,534 of 1,834
New 15 minutes video review of the ST in YouTube. The review is in Danish language but if you turning on subtitles in YouTube, you can reading the subtitles in English:

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #1,536 of 1,834
New 15 minutes video review of the ST in YouTube. The review is in Danish language but if you turning on subtitles in YouTube, you can reading the subtitles in English:

It's good that he stays so much at the surface and doesn't give us the real details that matter for enabling people to really understand what differentiates these headphones from other wireless competitors... Otherwise his camera would have fried instead of just starting to give an overheat warning 🤣

But on a more serious note, shame about this review staying so much at the surface. It doesn't do the Solitaire T full justice and misses an opportunity to really put these in the limelight where they belong...

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,537 of 1,834
It's good that he stays so much at the surface and doesn't give us the real details that matter for enabling people to really understand what differentiates these headphones from other wireless competitors... Otherwise his camera would have fried instead of just starting to give an overheat warning 🤣

But on a more serious note, shame about this review staying so much at the surface. It doesn't do the Solitaire T full justice and misses an opportunity to really put these in the limelight where they belong...

You are 100% correct.

This is the best not-review I seeing in a long time, and is 15 minutes long! Is even more strange when you think that this person is actually marketing the ST! (I don't waiting for reading all the subtitles in the video when I watching the first time, but if I know, before posting the link here, that this is really a terrible marketing video, I never posting this link here)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #1,538 of 1,834
You are 100% correct.

This is the best not-review I seeing in a long time, and is 15 minutes long! Is even more strange when you think that this person is actually marketing the ST! (I don't waiting for reading all the subtitles in the video when I watching the first time, but if I know, before posting the link here, that this is really a terrible marketing video, I never posting this link here)
But at least *some* attention is paid to the Solitaire T. To be honest, by the time the DALI IO-12 hit the market I doubt that anyone would notice. I would have expected reviews to start popping up by now... But no... Stunning silence, proves that DALI really have brought noise cancellation to whole new level 🤣

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #1,539 of 1,834

Sorry about the wall of text.

Okay, now that I've used my new headphones for a bit, here's how I think I'd compare them. One quick caveat, the only aspect I have absolutely no idea is the mic quality. I've never tested the mic on any of the headphones I own.

Compared to the H9, I found the touch controls to work better on the ST. I'm not sure if I might have gotten an H9 where the touch controls didn't work well, but they were never great for me. The only thing that it consistently registered is turning transparency on or off. Ironically, that is the only aspect of the touch control that I can't hit every time on the ST. Instead of turning on transparency, it usually pauses the track. I may just need to play around with it, yet, I don't really use transparency anyway. Additionally, something I was mildly concerned about at first was that the sound quality on the ST I had read wasn't as good with the ANC on. That may still be the case, however, the headphone itself is so sound isolating by itself, that I haven't found a need to even turn on ANC. I'm wagering that by the time I need ANC due to a loud, constant background noise, I probably wouldn't be able to tell what small difference there may be between high quality mode and ANC on. As part of how isolating the headphone is by design is that the earpads do get hotter for me compared to the H9. The cup itself is also smaller, so I can see why some reviews mentioned they didn't get a great fit due to their ear size. Regardless, I'd rate the overall comfort higher than the H9, especially due to the headband being significantly more comfortable for me. The build quality for both were great. No real complaints for either, though I would give it to the ST due to the headband being better designed. Lastly, the bluetooth works much better on the ST. When I use the H9, I couldn't easily leave my phone say on the 2nd floor and then run down to the 1st floor. I'd usually lose the signal going between floors and sometimes between rooms. So far, I haven't had that issue with the ST.

Now compared to the Clear, which I'm guessing is somewhat close to the Bathys, here's what I think. Build quality is better on the ST and H9. I didn't like how over time, the earpads and the headband on the Focal can get dirty and pretty banged up. Another potential problem with the Focal is that there's a risk of the headband snapping in two. Even though the ST use a synthetic leather, I'd be surprised if they don't hold up better than the Focal. I also doubt the headband will snap in two (I think that problem is mainly a Focal thing). Comfort wise, I found both my Focal and the ST to be similarly comfortable. I'd even give it to the Clear because of its open design with my ears not heating up at all. Obviously there's no real sound isolation on the Clear, let alone ANC, but that shouldn't be an issue on the Bathys you own.

For a sound comparison, I'd leave that to people with alot more experience hahaha. I'll say that to my ears, the ST beat the H9 in all aspects. I know this experience probably won't help as much, but going from the H9 to the ST was a similar degree of difference going from the H9 to the Focal Clear which is to say what I feel is a large margin. I'd say since you enjoy the Bathys sound more than the H9 already, I wouldn't be shocked if you found a similar degree of improvement or greater going from the H9 to the ST. Compared to the Focal Clear and ST, I personally prefer the ST. Everything sounds more responsive and impactful. It's not by a huge margin, but it's there. They also just sound a bit different overall, though it's hard for me to fully explain. Honestly, the only downside is that maybe the soundstage is a bit small on the ST. That may just be placebo since they are closed headphones. Regardless, I think I'll keep the Clear for now because it would be a hassle to sell them and I wouldn't get much money for them most likely.

Overall, I think the biggest potential issue with the ST is the price. It's quite a bit of money and while better, it may not be enough compared to what you already own. I'd imagine a combo of a more comfortable, slightly better built H9 with sound that's a bit better than the Bathys when in wireless (and possibly significantly better than the Bathys in wired though I haven't tried the ST wired yet). If that's worth the price, try them out in a store or buy from a place with a good return policy. Soooo basically all of that boils down to what I posted earlier hahaha.

Hopefully this helps you a bit.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #1,540 of 1,834
When I use the H9, I couldn't easily leave my phone say on the 2nd floor and then run down to the 1st floor. I'd usually lose the signal going between floors and sometimes between rooms. So far, I haven't had that issue with the H9.

Shouldn't that read "So far I haven't had that issue with the ST"?

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #1,542 of 1,834
I just hate touch controls haha

I still sometimes accidentally trigger the face plate when I don't mean to.

Tactile buttons all the way for me

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #1,543 of 1,834
I just hate touch controls haha

I still sometimes accidentally trigger the face plate when I don't mean to.

Tactile buttons all the way for me
Same here although I must say that the SolT are the first wireless headphones that have remained in my possession that I have actually grown used to the touch controls 😂

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #1,544 of 1,834
Sorry about the wall of text.

Okay, now that I've used my new headphones for a bit, here's how I think I'd compare them. One quick caveat, the only aspect I have absolutely no idea is the mic quality. I've never tested the mic on any of the headphones I own.

Compared to the H9, I found the touch controls to work better on the ST. I'm not sure if I might have gotten an H9 where the touch controls didn't work well, but they were never great for me. The only thing that it consistently registered is turning transparency on or off. Ironically, that is the only aspect of the touch control that I can't hit every time on the ST. Instead of turning on transparency, it usually pauses the track. I may just need to play around with it, yet, I don't really use transparency anyway. Additionally, something I was mildly concerned about at first was that the sound quality on the ST I had read wasn't as good with the ANC on. That may still be the case, however, the headphone itself is so sound isolating by itself, that I haven't found a need to even turn on ANC. I'm wagering that by the time I need ANC due to a loud, constant background noise, I probably wouldn't be able to tell what small difference there may be between high quality mode and ANC on. As part of how isolating the headphone is by design is that the earpads do get hotter for me compared to the H9. The cup itself is also smaller, so I can see why some reviews mentioned they didn't get a great fit due to their ear size. Regardless, I'd rate the overall comfort higher than the H9, especially due to the headband being significantly more comfortable for me. The build quality for both were great. No real complaints for either, though I would give it to the ST due to the headband being better designed. Lastly, the bluetooth works much better on the ST. When I use the H9, I couldn't easily leave my phone say on the 2nd floor and then run down to the 1st floor. I'd usually lose the signal going between floors and sometimes between rooms. So far, I haven't had that issue with the ST.

Now compared to the Clear, which I'm guessing is somewhat close to the Bathys, here's what I think. Build quality is better on the ST and H9. I didn't like how over time, the earpads and the headband on the Focal can get dirty and pretty banged up. Another potential problem with the Focal is that there's a risk of the headband snapping in two. Even though the ST use a synthetic leather, I'd be surprised if they don't hold up better than the Focal. I also doubt the headband will snap in two (I think that problem is mainly a Focal thing). Comfort wise, I found both my Focal and the ST to be similarly comfortable. I'd even give it to the Clear because of its open design with my ears not heating up at all. Obviously there's no real sound isolation on the Clear, let alone ANC, but that shouldn't be an issue on the Bathys you own.

For a sound comparison, I'd leave that to people with alot more experience hahaha. I'll say that to my ears, the ST beat the H9 in all aspects. I know this experience probably won't help as much, but going from the H9 to the ST was a similar degree of difference going from the H9 to the Focal Clear which is to say what I feel is a large margin. I'd say since you enjoy the Bathys sound more than the H9 already, I wouldn't be shocked if you found a similar degree of improvement or greater going from the H9 to the ST. Compared to the Focal Clear and ST, I personally prefer the ST. Everything sounds more responsive and impactful. It's not by a huge margin, but it's there. They also just sound a bit different overall, though it's hard for me to fully explain. Honestly, the only downside is that maybe the soundstage is a bit small on the ST. That may just be placebo since they are closed headphones. Regardless, I think I'll keep the Clear for now because it would be a hassle to sell them and I wouldn't get much money for them most likely.

Overall, I think the biggest potential issue with the ST is the price. It's quite a bit of money and while better, it may not be enough compared to what you already own. I'd imagine a combo of a more comfortable, slightly better built H9 with sound that's a bit better than the Bathys when in wireless (and possibly significantly better than the Bathys in wired though I haven't tried the ST wired yet). If that's worth the price, try them out in a store or buy from a place with a good return policy. Soooo basically all of that boils down to what I posted earlier hahaha.

Hopefully this helps you a bit.
Wow. Thank you for the comparisons. I wasn't expecting that. Very interesting and useful, especially that the ear cups on the ST are so small. I will definitely give the ST a try, but based on what you say there's no need to rush. My Bathys are only two months old and my wallet needs time to recover. I also need to sell my Dalis. Thanks for helping me sort out my thinking.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,545 of 1,834
@angelom I will be receiving my iPhone 15 shortly. I also ordered a Creative BT-W5 and BT-W3X Bluetooth dongle for testing purposes to see if I can get APTX-HD going instead of AAC.. Will let you know my experiences once everything has arrived 🔥😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back