T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #871 of 1,838
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #872 of 1,838
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/solitaire-t-a-t-wireless-1-5-weeks-old.40007/

^Mine 1.5 Weeks for Sale

Reason: Does not fit well into my business travel bag, making me needing to carry "extra" item in my hands when walking around during travels.
Good luck with the sale.

Interestingly I saw similar marks on one of my ear cups and wasn’t sure how they got there as I am always so cautious and careful.

I wonder if the material is prone to such markings or if the design of the carry case results in friction / pressure points that cause the marks.

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #873 of 1,838
Correct. Using the balanced connection requires powering OFF the entire internal Solitaire T circuitry.

Yes. Using the USB-C connection requires powering ON the amplification / DAC circuitry inside the Solitaire T (switch on the left cup). The ANC circuitry is part of that. HQ mode also works via USB-C

(HQ and ANC do not work simultaneously though)
The ANC mode works great using the included balanced cable from my Naim Uniti HE.

Are you saying the audiophile ninja cable balanced cable doesn’t work with the Solitaire T headphone on and with ANC?

My bedtime setup is the Naim connected balanced to the Solitaire T with ANC on. Granted, you’re going though the DSP on the Solitaire T and not getting the full benefit of a balanced connection.

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #874 of 1,838
Good luck with the sale.

Interestingly I saw similar marks on one of my ear cups and wasn’t sure how they got there as I am always so cautious and careful.

I wonder if the material is prone to such markings or if the design of the carry case results in friction / pressure points that cause the marks.
Unsure but mine is 1.5 weeks old and functionally perfect and cosmetically perfect everywhere.

Jan 19, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #875 of 1,838
I hate to do this to a vendor, but I've got to tell you guys, never buy anything from House of Stereo. I bought the Solitaire T's from them and have been trying to get confirm first if they would take them back (their website says they accept returns), and two if there would be a re-stocking fee and what it is. I finally got them to acknowledge a return is OK, but have been going on another week trying to get a confirmed re-stocking fee if there would be one. Their website lists 25% for damaged items, but says nothing about Like New with all original box and accessories. I'm not blindly returning them no knowing what the fee would be, hence why I listed them in the Classifieds. I hate returning high dollar items, but I made sure to confirm with them and view their website policy on returns before purchasing. Just as recap, the reason I am returning and the only reason is the ear cups are just a bit too small for my ears to get a good fit.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #876 of 1,838
The ANC mode works great using the included balanced cable from my Naim Uniti HE.

Are you saying the audiophile ninja cable balanced cable doesn’t work with the Solitaire T headphone on and with ANC?

Actually it does work when using the Audiophile Ninja (or any analogue cable) as long as one powers up the headphones with the switch on the left cup. However since when powered up the audio briefly breaks up while cycling through ANC ON and HQ modes etc I am not 100% convinced that the ST then still operate over a purely passive connection.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #877 of 1,838

My bedtime setup is the Naim connected balanced to the Solitaire T with ANC on. Granted, you’re going though the DSP on the Solitaire T and not getting the full benefit of a balanced connection.
From my understanding, this is likely not what you think is happening.

@WDitters covers that in his post too:
Actually it does work when using the Audiophile Ninja (or any analogue cable) as long as one powers up the headphones with the switch on the left cup. However since when powered up the audio briefly breaks up while cycling through ANC ON and HQ modes etc I am not 100% convinced that the ST then still operate over a purely passive connection.

As in an earier post I wrote, there are two power switches on the Solitaire T.
Left earcup turns on or off the entire digital circuitry.
Right earcup turns on, off, or pairing mode of only the Bluetooth circuitry, not the DAC or amps (if right earcup is on). ANC is a part of the balanced circuitry.

Any analogue cable connection bypasses the entire digital circuitry.
However, you can elect to have a wired connection, but reconnect the headphones to a device wirelessly. If that is the case, then the analogue cables will do nothing.

This is my understanding of the cans and its many topology.

Therefore, you can connect to a passive system, but keep the digital circuitry on via the left earcup, and further the Bluetooth circuitry via the right earcup.
As long as you don't use any of the digital circuitry features, it will be there almost like on standby.
However, if you activate ANC or another feature, the cans switch from active passive to active digital.

Now, there is a chance that my understanding is incorrect, however what I've described is what T+A have stated (in shorter words), and the actual design of the headphones are built to do as above as well.
However, I welcome T+A to clarify these points.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #878 of 1,838
I do not understand how come after posting my listing on head fi, despite it being a very recent post, it does not naturally show up when scrolling through?

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #879 of 1,838
I do not understand how come after posting my listing on head fi, despite it being a very recent post, it does not naturally show up when scrolling through?
What?

If you filter the classfields by date (not bump date), it can be found!

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #881 of 1,838
Love you. Thanks.
No worries!

I realised this years ago that there are two filters for date, so thought to double check on your post, though I was confident that it was a filter resolution.

Good luck on the sale!

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #882 of 1,838
From my understanding, this is likely not what you think is happening.
I was referring to his answer to this post:
I imagine that there is no ANC available in a portable use when the Solitaire T is plugged to a DAP with a balanced cable ?

But is there a possibility to connect the solitaire T with an USB-C cable to a DAP or Smartphone and have ANC activated ?
There absolutely is ANC available in a portable use when the Solitare T is plugged into a DAP with a balanced cable. That's my #1 usage of the Solitaire T and Naim Uniti HE or the iBasso DX320. I choose the balanced option purely based on convenience, not because I think there is a sonic difference between the other two wired modes.

I understand what @WDitters is trying to say. That you aren't getting the benefit of the balanced circuitry with the Solitaire not in passive mode. You'd get the same fidelity if you used SE or USB. The analog signal is getting digitized and run through the DSP for ANC, HQ, etc...

I think we are all on the same page. It just sounded like he suggested the Solitaire T wouldn't allow ANC using the analog input.

:beerchug:

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #883 of 1,838
That sucks!

Nothing wrong with Aptx HD, personally I can't hear a difference between aHD and LDAC.

But it kinda sucks that the largest smartphone manufacturer (Samsung) refuses to support either Aptx HD or Aptx Adaptive... 😕

Not sure if I'll buy the S23 now...

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #884 of 1,838
But it kinda sucks that the largest smartphone manufacturer (Samsung) refuses to support either Aptx HD or Aptx Adaptive... 😕

Not sure if I'll buy the S23 now...
Licensing and politics. It's the same reason they don't support Dolby Vision on their TVs. They have their own agenda, but sadly don't seem to realise they don't quite have the industry pull the likes of Apple does to inform industry wide standards

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #885 of 1,838
Licensing and politics. It's the same reason they don't support Dolby Vision on their TVs. They have their own agenda, but sadly don't seem to realise they don't quite have the industry pull the likes of Apple does to inform industry wide standards
Yeah the wireless space is a fragmented and inconsistent mess. The top players are content with their proprietary/self-serving practices.

Shame that the lack of LDAC is going to turn people away from the Solitaire Ts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back