T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #496 of 1,838
Like I said we will agree to disagree. But I will clarify one thing. I apologize if it seemed like I was insulting your English. That was not my point. I really meant more so cultural context differences.

But before we went off on this tangent, perhaps I can redirect to a question I had asked before. Is the volume cap just with the European model or does that apply to US models as well. Or are they all the same?

Buy or try auditioning the ST, is obvious you have a big interest in this headphone. If you like this headphone, great, if not, great too. All the rest of this previous discussion is, at the end, very irrelevant.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #497 of 1,838
So why Are there users who Do not get more than APTX out of Android? Or did i get something wrong?!
That's because not all headphones have LDAC codecs. The ST LDAC has not yet been licensed and enabled. It will have LDAC down the line, though.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #498 of 1,838
Buy or try auditioning the ST, is obvious you have a big interest in this headphone. If you like this headphone, great, if not, great too. All the rest of this previous discussion is, at the end, very irrelevant.

Sadly audio 46 is out of stock in the black. In the mean time I'm just having information clarified second hand. And just having fun reading people's impressions.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #499 of 1,838
But before we went off on this tangent, perhaps I can redirect to a question I had asked before. Is the volume cap just with the European model or does that apply to US models as well. Or are they all the same?
From my understanding, T+A went the route of safe bet, so I am assuming that the USB-C DAC volume limit affects all Solitaire T's made.

Bear in mind that, though the headphone construction is made in China, the final build is hand assembled and drivers made in Germany respectively (I will later double check this), the Solitaire T's are not mass production models, so I doubt that T+A would make a variant for another territory.

We owners should contact our dealers and contact T+A regarding this, because it's the best way to try and get a resolution, or at least a definitive response from T+A.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #500 of 1,838
From my understanding, T+A went the route of safe bet, so I am assuming that the USB-C DAC volume limit affects all Solitaire T's made.

Bear in mind that, though the headphone construction is made in China, but the build and drivers are made and hand assembled in Germany (I will later double check this), the Solitaire T's are not mass production models, so I doubt that T+A would make a variant for another territory.

We owners should contact our dealers and contact T+A regarding this, because its the best way to try and get a resolution, or at least a definitive response from T+A.

I just sent T + A an email directly. I'll let everyone know when I hear back.

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #503 of 1,838
The firmware says
Add eq (master +3dB)

Does this mean the overall voume even if not using EQ is by default +3dB
That is what we believe.

I had the headphones over 24 hours before the app was released, and between 24 - 48 hours before I grabbed the just then released app and updated the firmware of my Solitaire T's.

It was too short to say how much of a difference I heard in that time, as I was acclimatising to the new headphones, but I perceived a small lift overall.
Those who had the cans longer can say further.

However, as before and in my mini first-impressions review, I do personally enjoy the preselected EQ Bass Boost +6db.
This means that, post firmware update, I have, theoretically, total of +9dB extra volume.

Thus, we can be consider the following split as additional volume over the pre-firmware stock volume when using the Bass Boost EQ from the app:
Bass: +9dB
Mids: +3dB
Treble: +3dB

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #504 of 1,838
So do I understand the customers are complaining about the lower volume and that T+A is or has addressed this with new firmware through the app?

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #505 of 1,838
So do I understand the customers are complaining about the lower volume and that T+A is or has addressed this with new firmware through the app?
This depends on what mode we are talking about here.

Overall volume increase, by +3dB, has gone live for those who have Android 8.0 and up devices, and downloaded the T+A Solitaire Companion App (Version 1.0.0+66), which features a way to receive OTA firmware updates via the app to connected Solitaire T headphones.
The very first firmware update is Version 4.0.5.

However, though Bluetooth and Bluetooth HQ volumes were on the quieter side, since the update volume is better than adequate loudness wise.
It would be nice to have more, but we shall see.

The real contention is in one of the two wired modes.
Before I get to that, please note that passive analogue single-ended and balanced cables are unaffected by volume issues. This shouldn't need to be said, but I'm erring on the side of caution for readers in general.
Now, the other featured mode of the Solitaire T is USB-C DAC mode. If you took a USB-C cable and connected the Solitaire T to your phone, for example, two things happen. One, all wireless digital circuitry is bypassed. Two, you are using the on-board ESS Saber ES9218 DAC and amplifiers, essentially making the headphones as both a DAC/amp and output simultaneously.
Sounds marvellous, right? UNFORTUNATELY, it's a mode that many of us have considered to be borderline unusable in its current state as there is an aggressive low volume limit imposed at the firmware level, which is unsatisfactory for listening.
This volume limit is, for example, much, much lower than the two Bluetooth modes, making little sense as to why the non-wireless USB-C DAC mode has such a low volume output.
This is the biggest area of contention for Solitaire T owners.

The other is LDAC codec, but please be patient, as this is in progress between T+A and Sony.
The owners and prospective new buyers are hoping the licencing deal will go ahead and be implemented in due course.

To summarise, the passive analogue and the two Bluetooth wireless modes are working as intended.
Only the USB-C DAC mode has had the biggest, and well grounded, negativity.
It does not, for me, ruin my headphone experience, but is disappointing as this would be a lovely feature to use when I'm in the mood to have a lossless listening session with just my phone.

Hope this clarifies the current overall feedback from us all.

(There are other positive, negative, and in-between comments too, as is with anything, but the above now remains the most outstanding and present issue).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #506 of 1,838

Overall volume increase, by +3dB, has gone live for those who have Android 8.0 and up devices, and downloaded the T+A Solitaire Companion App (Version 1.0.0+66), which featured an OTA firmware update via the app to connected Solitaire T headphones.

However, though Bluetooth and Bluetooth HQ volumes were on the quieter side, since the update volume is better than adequate loudness wise.

Before I get to that, please note that passive analogue single-ended and balanced cables are unaffected by volume issues. This shouldn't need to be said, but I'm erring on the side of caution for readers in general.
Now, the other featured mode of the Solitaire T is USB-C DAC mode. If you took a USB-C cable and connected the Solitaire T to your phone, for example, two things happen. One, all wireless digital circuitry is bypassed. Two, you are using the on-board ESS Saber ES9218 DAC and amplifiers, essentially making the headphones as both a DAC/amp and output simultaneously.
Sounds marvellous, right? UNFORTUNATELY, it's a mode that many of us have considered to be borderline unusable in its current state as there is an aggressive low volume limit imposed at the firmware level, which is unsatisfactory for listening.
This volume limit is, for example, much, much lower than the two Bluetooth modes, making little sense as to why the non-wireless USB-C DAC mode has such a low volume output.

The other is LDAC codec, but please be patient, as this is in progress between T+A and Sony.
The owners and prospective new buyers are hoping the licencing deal will go ahead and be implemented in due course.

To summarise, the passive analogue and the two Bluetooth wireless modes are working as intended.
It does not, for me, ruin my headphone experience, but is disappointing as this would be a lovely feature to use when I'm in the mood to have a lossless listening session with just my phone.

(There are other positive, negative, and in-between comments too, as is with anything, but the above now remains the most outstanding and present issue).
Very clear discussion and explanation. Thanks.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #507 of 1,838
I did the update.

Using the iBasso DX320 with ST in usb dac mode, I don’t find the volume lacking. Could it be louder? Probably, but it’s not lacking.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #508 of 1,838

Overall volume increase, by +3dB, has gone live for those who have Android 8.0 and up devices, and downloaded the T+A Solitaire Companion App (Version 1.0.0+66), which featured an OTA firmware update (Version 4.0.5) via the app to connected Solitaire T headphones.

The USB-C volume issue for me somewhat negates the implementation of a high quality DAC since you are unable to listen to lossless high-res music sending it digitally directly to the headphones. If the USB-C volume gets sorted out in a future update, these will be purchased. :)

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #509 of 1,838
Overall volume increase, by +3dB, has gone live for those who have Android 8.0 and up devices, and downloaded the T+A Solitaire Companion App (Version 1.0.0+66), which featured an OTA firmware update (Version 4.0.5) via the app to connected Solitaire T headphones.

Just to be precise, the T+A app does not include firmware 4.0.5 but opens up the possibility to check for, to download and to install the most recently available firmware update. If for instance a 4.0.9 version would be made available by T+A today, the T+A app would pick it up and offer it to the user.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #510 of 1,838
Just to be precise, the T+A app does not include firmware 4.0.5 but opens up the possibility to check for, to download and to install the most recently available firmware update. If for instance a 4.0.9 version would be made available by T+A today, the T+A app would pick it up and offer it to the user.
Correct, and I'll slightly amend my post to be clearer; cheers!

Edit:
Annnnnnnddddd done. Hopefully my post does not confuse others further.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back