T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Dec 18, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #511 of 1,865
Yes, we communicating a lot but you aren't answering my question yet about if you can saving the EQ settings in the headphone or not for using the ST in different devices. :)
The answer to this is: Yes, EQ settings are stored on the headphones and are persistent across multiple devices.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #513 of 1,865
I do hope they could add multipoint and APTX Adptive too... :/
If they have aptX HD, why would you want adaptive as well?

In my experience, adaptive is really more helpful for true wireless earbud units that don't have the capacity for a larger receiver link. I've never had HD in my headphones drop out.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #514 of 1,865
If they have aptX HD, why would you want adaptive as well?

In my experience, adaptive is really more helpful for true wireless earbud units that don't have the capacity for a larger receiver link. I've never had HD in my headphones drop out.

Obviously because of the low latency aspect of Adaptive, makes them usable wireless for almost every type of use case scenario except competitive gaming.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #515 of 1,865
Obviously because of the low latency aspect of Adaptive, makes them usable wireless for almost every type of use case scenario except competitive gaming.

Ah gotcha! I didn't realize that apt x and apt x hd had significant latency issues for movies etc

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #516 of 1,865
Big recommendation to all readers to take the time to...ahem...read the following linked article from Sound Guys regarding AptX Adaptive vs AptX Classic and AptX HD (and LDAC)!
(Put your fav cans on, play your fav music, sip on your choice of drink, and enjoy the article 🎧☕/🥃📖).

Tonnes of information explained very well on this subject, and may help readers to understand further how these Bluetooth codes work.

One area to note is that AptX Adaptive is scalable when moving up and down frequency of operation.
All previous codecs, including LDAC, are like a step-ladder, where each frequency change is a fixed step.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #517 of 1,865
Ah gotcha! I didn't realize that apt x and apt x hd had significant latency issues for movies etc
Movies aren't usually a problem since the software can compensate for the higher latency.

But gaming and certain live videos (like sports) are something else.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #518 of 1,865
Now, the other featured mode of the Solitaire T is USB-C DAC mode. If you took a USB-C cable and connected the Solitaire T to your phone, for example, two things happen. One, all wireless digital circuitry is bypassed. Two, you are using the on-board ESS Saber ES9218 DAC and amplifiers, essentially making the headphones as both a DAC/amp and output simultaneously.
Sounds marvellous, right? UNFORTUNATELY, it's a mode that many of us have considered to be borderline unusable in its current state as there is an aggressive low volume limit imposed at the firmware level, which is unsatisfactory for listening.
This volume limit is, for example, much, much lower than the two Bluetooth modes, making little sense as to why the non-wireless USB-C DAC mode has such a low volume output.
This is the biggest area of contention for Solitaire T owners.
I did the update.

Using the iBasso DX320 with ST in usb dac mode, I don’t find the volume lacking. Could it be louder? Probably, but it’s not lacking.

I testing again and connecting the ST in USB C mode directly to my MacBook Pro and the volume is definitely not a problem at all and is, in fact, very more loud than bluetooth mode in the same MBP.

The answer to this is: Yes, EQ settings are stored on the headphones and are persistent across multiple devices.

Thank you. This is good news! I hope we having a firmware update with possibility of at leat one custom EQ setting.

And, do you have opportunity yet for testing the ANC I asking you before?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #519 of 1,865
I testing again and connecting the ST in USB C mode directly to my MacBook Pro and the volume is definitely not a problem at all and is, in fact, very more loud than bluetooth mode in the same MBP.
I have not been able to test into an Apple product, only Android, so I am unsure if there is a difference between these systems, or if people are satisfied with the loudness in either wireless or USB-C DAC modes.

I have emailed my dealer and T+A, and I will test further on this.

However, thank you for providing information that Mac systems work in said USB-C DAC mode, very encouraging!

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #520 of 1,865
And, do you have opportunity yet for testing the ANC I asking you before?

Yes. ANC is not persistent and resets itself to setting 3 (Max) when switching off the ST.

So to refer to your question, your ST is currently set to 3 (Max) and will only offer access to the lower settings (1 & 2) while using the app and will switch back to its default setting 3 at every shutdown.

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #521 of 1,865
Just a follow up @angelom; I have retested USB-C DAC mode on my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.

Headphone, app, and device system info:
App-Version: 1.0.0+66
Android-Version: 13
Android-Model: SM-G998B
Headset-Version: 4.0.5

Song test:
Cracker Island feat. Thundercat EP by Gorillaz, Master MQA (2022).

Audio played at bit-perfect mode.

T+A Companion App EQ preset: Bass Boost.

The following track metadata was captured by USB Audio Player PRO:
20221218_225407.png

Tidal HiFi:
Screenshot_20221218_230840_TIDAL.png

When my S21 is at max volume (150), the USB-C DAC mode volume output is significantly lower than Bluetooth HQ.

If I were to play the same song via Bluetooth HQ mode, and try and match the volume level I believe represents my experience with USB-C DAC mode, it would be at approximately 90 on my S21 Ultra.

USB Audio Player PRO streaming Tidal HiFi:
Screenshot_20221218_230749_USB Audio Player PRO.png

I find no difference between using USB Audio Player PRO and native Tidal; I have the same volume issue.

Conclusion:
USB-C DAC mode has significantly lower volume output than Bluetooth HQ mode (approximately 60 steps of volume difference).

My experience still stands relative to the above parameters mentioned.

My opinion is that the hardware volume limit, mentioned by users and testers, is apparant.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #522 of 1,865
Just a follow up @angelom; I have retested USB-C DAC mode on my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G.

Headphone, app, and device system info:
App-Version: 1.0.0+66
Android-Version: 13
Android-Model: SM-G998B
Headset-Version: 4.0.5

Song test:
Cracker Island feat. Thundercat EP by Gorillaz, Master MQA (2022).

Audio played at bit-perfect mode.

T+A Companion App EQ preset: Bass Boost.

The following track metadata was captured by USB Audio Player PRO:

Tidal HiFi:

When my S21 is at max volume (150), the USB-C DAC mode volume output is significantly lower than Bluetooth HQ.

If I were to play the same song via Bluetooth HQ mode, and try and match the volume level I believe represents my experience with USB-C DAC mode, it would be at approximately 90 on my S21 Ultra.

USB Audio Player PRO streaming Tidal HiFi:

I find no difference between using USB Audio Player PRO and native Tidal; I have the same volume issue.

Conclusion:
USB-C DAC mode has significantly lower volume output than Bluetooth HQ mode (approximately 60 steps of volume difference).

My experience still stands relative to the above parameters mentioned.

My opinion is that the hardware volume limit, mentioned by users and testers, is apparant.

I trying again, but now matching the volume in my MacBook Pro and this are my results from maximum of 16 volume steps the MPB is offering: 9 in USB C mode, and 13 in BT mode. Using volume step 13 in USB C mode with many albums I going deaf quickly. So, like you saying, and I will repeating exactly your same words because is happening in my case: "My experience still stands relative to the above parameters mentioned."

Also, by the way, in your original post you saying "it's a mode that many of us have considered to be borderline unusable". Many?? Several (not many, actually) people complaining about not sufficient volume in BT mode but not in USB C mode. Very few people even mentioning USB C mode at all, positive or negative!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #523 of 1,865
I trying again, but now matching the volume in my MacBook Pro and this are my results from maximum of 16 volume steps the MPB is offering: 9 in USB C mode, and 13 in BT mode. Using volume step 13 in USB C mode with many albums I going deaf quickly. So, like you saying, I repeating exactly your same words because is happening in my case: "My experience still stands relative to the above parameters mentioned."

Also, by the way, in your original post you saying "it's a mode that many of us have considered to be borderline unusable". Many?? Several people complaining about not sufficient volume in BT mode but not in USB C mode.
Just to err on side of caution again, I hope we are having a healthy debate, and not a tit-for-tat.
My previous post was framed as matter of fact on personal experience, aided by other responses, and hoped that this would not be taken as a slight against anyone.
If, for any reason, that did not come across, then I apologise, as I am not attacking your or others' opinions at all.

As before, we are using two completely different systems and parameters, so our comparisons are not only both truthful, but exclusive and incomparable.
Unfortunately, I do not have a Macintosh/iOS system to help compare my experiences, which is a shame 😔

In regards to volume, I am not commenting on how loud I wish to listen to music at all, nor what is reasonable listening volume.
My commentary is that there is, at least on (Samsung) Android devices connecting to Solitaire T headphones, a significant difference in volume when using Bluetooth HQ and USB-C DAC mode.
To me, as an end consumer, this is unacceptable. The volumes should be closer to each other (regardless of quality heard or perceived between the modes).

If, based upon your aforementioned experiences and posts, there is no difference in volume when using USB-C between an Apple device connected to Solitaire T headphones (in USB-C DAC mode), then this is an even more of an oversight, favouring Apple end consumers than Android users.
This, I also find, unacceptable.

Finally, I am a little sad that you are pointing out my post regarding my mentioning of other users who have relayed similar experiences to mine.
When I said many, this is based upon the (my assumption) small number of owners who have posted about their experiences of owning Solitaire T, and a subset of those owners who have voiced concerns regarding USB-C connection and volume.
Even if that percentage is low, it is significant.
In my opinion, I do not believe that there are a large number of Solitaire T owners, thus my use of the word many was stated within context to the above.
I should not need to explain this however, as it is needless and moves the conversation away from the important information we are sharing, so unless you wish to share why you felt the need to point out my word usage, I would rather hope we can agree to move back to the conversation to our continued discussion of experiences and findings mutually, learning and sharing our highs and lows with others.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #524 of 1,865
Just to err on side of caution again, I hope we are having a healthy debate, and not a tit-for-tat.
My previous post was framed as matter of fact on personal experience, aided by other responses, and hoped that this would not be taken as a slight against anyone.
If, for any reason, that did not come across, then I apologise, as I am not attacking your or others' opinions at all.

PLEASE don't see my posts like a competition against you. I hope not only for "healthy debate" but for accurate information as much as is possible.

Isn't necessary apologising at all. Seriously. I know very well that your intentions and comments are meaning in the best possible way.

As before, we are using two completely different systems and parameters, so our comparisons are not only both truthful, but exclusive and incomparable.
Unfortunately, I do not have a Macintosh/iOS system to help compare my experiences, which is a shame 😔

Yes, this is true.

In regards to volume, I am not commenting on how loud I wish to listen to music at all, nor what is reasonable listening volume.
My commentary is that there is, at least on (Samsung) Android devices connecting to Solitaire T headphones, a significant difference in volume when using Bluetooth HQ and USB-C DAC mode.
To me, as an end consumer, this is unacceptable. The volumes should be closer to each other (regardless of quality heard or perceived between the modes).

My comments, like your comments, aren't about preference in volume, but only saying what my experience is when using a MacBook Pro, and in this case isn't only different, BUT very, very drastically opposite (USB C mode is very more loud than BT mode, exactly the opposite of your experience with your device). And when I speaking about going deaf before with different albums, this is real, not because I think is only very loud. Scientifically, after exposure of certain high levels of dBs our hearing is in danger.

If, based upon your aforementioned experiences and posts, there is no difference in volume when using USB-C between an Apple device connected to Solitaire T headphones (in USB-C DAC mode), then this is an even more of an oversight, favouring Apple end consumers than Android users.
This, I also find, unacceptable.

Don't taking this in wrong way, but do you reading my posts well?? I never saying that "there is no difference in volume when using USB-C between an Apple device connected to Solitaire T headphones (in USB-C DAC mode)". I saying that yes, is a BIG difference in my MBP between USB C and BT modes in reference to volume levels, and this difference isn't only different from your experience, but the the exact opposite, going in the complete different direction (USB C very more loud than BT mode).

Finally, I am a little sad that you are pointing out my post regarding my mentioning of other users who have relayed similar experiences to mine.
When I said many, this is based upon the (my assumption) small number of owners who have posted about their experiences of owning Solitaire T, and a subset of those owners who have voiced concerns regarding USB-C connection and volume.
Even if that percentage is low, it is significant.

I'm a person that having tendency for exactness, accuracy and science as much as is possible, so using correct words, specially words that having relating to numbers is important because this having effect in others people and others people start repeating wrong information in other threads and forums and giving incorrect information and impressions of this (or other) headphone.

I repeat this. Is now only few owners of ST, and saying "many" is almost like saying "majority" or very significant number. And I repeat that of this owners several (not many) saying they wanting more maximum volume in BT mode but VERY few people even speaking/mentioning USB C mode in negative or positive way, and this is the only reason I mentioning this in my previous post. I don't have intention of attacking you but you using big capital letters, bold format and making long explanation of this negative aspect of ST in your long previous post, and I don't even mentioning this in my first reply, only commenting about using a MBP, nothing more.

I think you know now that I'm one of very few people that speaking about some negative aspects of ST, and sometimes in (very) strong way, so I'm not blind ST fanboy.

In my opinion, I do not believe that there are a large number of Solitaire T owners, thus my use of the word many was stated within context to the above.
I should not need to explain this however, as it is needless and moves the conversation away from the important information we are sharing, so unless you wish to share why you felt the need to point out my word usage, I would rather hope we can agree to move back to the conversation to our continued discussion of experiences and findings mutually, learning and sharing our highs and lows with others.

Please read my previous comment. And PLEASE don't taking this personally. PLEASE.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back