T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Dec 2, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #286 of 1,852
- My personal sound profile preference is greater bass output, so I will welcome the EQ function in the app when it's released to most the bass in BT mode.
- Bass response in wired mode is much more to my liking, especially when turning up the volume and using external source device EQ.

Before I buying the ST, I don't know why but I'm thinking that the bass will be less than is in reality. For my very positive surprise, the bass in the ST is having more amplitude than I thinking before and is exactly how I wanting this bass, and is having better low-end extension than I imagining before I receiving this headphone. Excellent low, mid and upper bass for my personal preference.

After reading your comment ("Bass response in wired mode is much more to my liking"), I testing again comparing BT mode (AAC files with my MacBook Pro) and wired mode with the 3.5mm cable from the same MacBook Pro and I'm hearing a very, very, very close bass response, if not the same, so is a surprise for me that you're saying that "is much more to my liking" meaning that the difference is significant / clearly more big. This is not my experience and is a reason I saying more than one time in this thread that is remarkable what A+T achieving in the very, very, very small audio differences, if any, between wired and BT modes. which is what they intending apparently. I know in marketing manufacturers saying a lot of untruths, but in this case A+T, my ears telling me, are saying the truth, and is one reason I think, in sound quality, this is a unique headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #287 of 1,852
Before I buying the ST, I don't know why but I'm thinking that the bass will be less than is in reality. For my very positive surprise, the bass in the ST is having more amplitude than I thinking before and is exactly how I wanting this bass, and is having better low-end extension than I imagining before I receiving this headphone. Excellent low, mid and upper bass for my personal preference.

After reading your comment ("Bass response in wired mode is much more to my liking"), I testing again comparing BT mode (AAC files with my MacBook Pro) and wired mode with the 3.5mm cable from the same MacBook Pro and I'm hearing a very, very, very close bass response, if not the same, so is a surprise for me that you're saying that "is much more to my liking" meaning that the difference is significant / clearly more big. This is not my experience and is a reason I saying more than one time in this thread that is remarkable what A+T achieving in the very, very, very small audio differences, if any, between wired and BT modes. which is what they intending apparently. I know in marketing manufacturers saying a lot of untruths, but in this case A+T, my ears telling me, are saying the truth, and is one reason I think, in sound quality, this is a unique headphone.
I will have a good listen when my pair comes in. In order to propose a little nuance to what @angelom posted above, I would like to emphasize that it is a tad risky to compare wired connections on various devices to each other (as well as to the T+A T's wireless options) for the following reasons:

- 3.5mm single-ended ouputs typically differ from 2.5mm/4.4mm outputs in impedance and resistance. There is only a handful devices that make no difference. Typically balanced connetcions offer greater driving power/energy to a wired pair of headphones, and in principle could lift your experience to another level altogether. Depending on the DAP/Desktop AMP, this could actually differ a lot from the internal amplifier inside the T+A also.

- Depending on the output amperage/current, some amps can really hold an iron grip over a pair of headphones, making them sound much better than other amps would .. 3.5mm output on laptops and cellphones are typically less capable of driving less sensitive heaphones. I have no hands-on experience with macbooks to be honest, but my experience with other laptops and cellphones urge me to be a little cautious there .. I have no idea about the impedance/sensitivity of the (wired) Sol T, but I guess we will find out soon when I receive them. I doubt however that they will be as difficult to drive as for instance a pair of Susvaras :wink:

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #288 of 1,852
- Depending on the output amperage/current, some amps can really hold an iron grip over a pair of headphones, making them sound much better than other amps would .. 3.5mm output on laptops and cellphones are typically less capable of driving less sensitive heaphones. I have no hands-on experience with macbooks to be honest, but my experience with other laptops and cellphones urge me to be a little cautious there .. I have no idea about the impedance/sensitivity of the (wired) Sol T, but I guess we will find out soon when I receive them. I doubt however that they will be as difficult to drive as for instance a pair of Susvaras

The 16" 2021 MacBook Pro (MBP) is the first MBP ever offering true capabilities for high impedance headphones (I don't know about models from this year, if they offering same capabilities). Apple laptops in music industry are an important instrument for a long time so isn't a surprise that Apple making this positive change last year in the top of the line MBP.

I don't know how hard for driving the ST is in wired mode but I think the impedance probably isn't very high for realistic reasons of more people today using portable devices, but this is irrelevant with the 16" 2021 MBP like I explaining before.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #289 of 1,852
The 16" 2021 MacBook Pro (MBP) is the first MBP ever offering true capabilities for high impedance headphones (I don't know about models from this year, if they offering same capabilities). Apple laptops in music industry are an important instrument for a long time so isn't a surprise that Apple making this positive change last year in the top of the line MBP.

I don't know how hard for driving the ST is in wired mode but I think the impedance probably isn't very high for realistic reasons of more people today using portable devices, but this is irrelevant with the 16" 2021 MBP like I explaining before.

Use high-impedance headphones with MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or Mac Studio​

You can connect high-impedance headphones directly to Mac laptops introduced in 2021 or later or Mac Studio.

The 3.5 mm headphone jack on Mac laptops introduced in 2021 or later and Mac Studio features DC load detection and adaptive voltage output. Your Mac can detect the impedance of the connected device and will adapt its output for low- and high-impedance headphones, as well as for line-level audio devices.
When you connect headphones with an impedance of less than 150 ohms, the headphone jack provides up to 1.25 volts RMS. For headphones with an impedance of 150 to 1k ohms, the headphone jack delivers 3 volts RMS. This may remove the need for an external headphone amplifier.
With impedance detection, adaptive voltage output, and a built-in digital-to-analog converterthat supports sample rates of up to 96 kHz, you can enjoy high-fidelity, full-resolution audio directly from the headphone jack on your Mac.

Compatible Mac computers​

These Mac computers support high-impedence headphones with the built-in headphone jack:
  • MacBook Air (M2, 2022)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, M2, 2022)
  • MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021)
  • MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
  • Mac Studio (2022)
Published Date: October 07, 2022
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212856

Dec 2, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #290 of 1,852
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #291 of 1,852

I have an M1 16” MBP with the high impedance 3.5mm output. I haven’t tried it with the ST yet, but I will.

With the wired sources I have used so far, I have been using EQ (o)ther than with the A&K HC02, but I find the baseline sound signature our of it to be bass rich, so no issue with EQ there). Obviously one challenge in comparing BT vs wired is volume matching and since I am inclined to want more volume than the BT maximum, the elements of bass boosting EQ and higher overall volume contribute together to the resulting sound in wired mode that I prefer more.

Just to be clear - I already know I’m keeping the ST. The coming app with its benefits will just be a bonus.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #292 of 1,852
Today is 18 days that I have the ST and I want saying something more about the sound, in a way that is very personal and not necessarily scientific or very useful, is more the opposite, actually.

After a session today, in my (random mode) playlist playing a track that I having difficulty enjoying with several headphones ("Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" by The Police), I'm thinking suddenly this about the ST sound:

The ST sound is like a dish that is using first class ingredients and is cooking very well by a very good cook/chef. The cook/chef knowing that isn't necessary adding unnecessary herbs and/or spices for enhancing and making this dish more attractive. He/she knowing that even when several or maybe even many customers will not appreciating the dish sufficiently because this customers often eating food with several enhancements, some or only few customers will knowing this dish is different in a special (more subtle) way.

I will saying this again: I think the ST is probably 'boring' in sound for some / many people, but not for others (definitely not so many).

I usually reacting negatively when I'm seeing the words "emotional" and "analogue" in articles or posts here in head-fi and in other forums. So typical! This words are saying usually nothing really about the sound but more about how the person is feeling when is listening to this headphone in a particular moment. Well, I'm guilty now and I will using this two cliché words and saying that the 'boring' sound, with not sufficient enhancements in flavour, making me emotional several times in this 18 days. And, in more than one occasion the word "analogue" (that I really don't like at all because of abuse of this word) is coming to my head more times than I thinking I ever will thinking with this headphone.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #294 of 1,852
I'm wondering, can any UK or US or non-EU members who got the ST report on whether BT volume is capped? Thanks.

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #295 of 1,852
I'm wondering, can any UK or US or non-EU members who got the ST report on whether BT volume is capped? Thanks.
I'm in the US and so far I have found the maximum volume for everything besides passive wired mode to be lower than I would prefer. HQ mode does seem to be a little louder at maximum than any non HQ mode. I have not done A/B comparisons yet for mx volume to other headphones, but I may at some point (H95, APM nd the Bathys). The question is whether T+A can/will change that with a firmware upgrade or some kind of region setting once the app is available as others have mentioned here. Beyond a simple software setting, it raises the question of how much power output the built in battery and DACs/Amps are capable of even if you are willing to take a hit to battery life for higher max volume?

As a related aside, it truly is interesting to consider what other BT headphones might sound like with all their internal electronics bypassed if they also offered a passive wired mode. Not only how loud they could play but what improvements might be possible with quality external wired sources that can surpass what the onboard DAC/amps are capable of. We'll never know but the experience with the ST makes me wonder a bit - and reaffirm why I suspected having that option on the ST would be so useful.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #296 of 1,852
Received my ST’s yesterday. Charged them and let them run for a few hours before listing. First impressions very positive. The volume is not an issue for me either in Bluetooth mode or driving with my MacBook Air M2. When using my Mac I connect to a Helm Audio dac/amp dongle with the ST plugged in using its 3.5 connector. I was super impressed with High Res file playback from Roon. Not near as happy with bluetooth using my iPhone. I suspect the low res AAC codec is to blame. I’ve ordered a Sony NW-WM1ZM2 Signature DAP so that I can use aptX HD or LDAC formats. As to the gesture controls, I think they work well if the use directions are followed. Will take time to learn instinctively. Digital assistant is a nice touch. Overall very happy with the purchase. Pino Palladino never sounded better in HiRes (Notes with Attachments).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #297 of 1,852
So they arrived today.. First impressions are quite positive, but I'm going to reserve my opinion until they have been burned in properly :)

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #298 of 1,852
So they arrived today.. First impressions are quite positive, but I'm going to reserve my opinion until they have been burned in properly :)
Excited to hear your thoughts esp compared to the ML5909

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #299 of 1,852
Excited to hear your thoughts esp compared to the ML5909
My first impressions seem to indicate that the ST has a slight upper bass and mids lift compared to the ML. That would give the ST a slightly warmer and more voice oriented profile.. The ML on the other hand seem to be a bit more nimble and slightly more distant... But that also makes them a bit more technical and detailed.

At this very earlier stage I would say that they more or less perform at the same (very high) level but with slightly differing tunings. The ML being somewhat more neutral. If money no object, at this point I would rather keep both than let either of them replace the other one.

But that's after only some 10 odd hours of burn-in... I still expect changes over the next 8 days 😎

Note: on a comfort level, for my ears specifically, the ST are definitely on the small side. Fit is much more snug to the point that my ears touch everything around them inside the cups. In comparison the ML, for me, are way more comfortable....

Note: All comparisons are made with the headphones at their individual max settings. So this is for the ML in LDAC mode @990kbps and for the ST in APTX-HD @576kbps in HQ mode (ESS9218 Sabre DAC instead of Qualcomm DAC)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #300 of 1,852
Additional comment... Difference between ST BT HQ and ST wired balanced is way smaller than difference between ST wired balanced and for instance Stellia Wired Balanced. For me the T+A statement that they first developed the headphone section and then added wireless is mostly marketing. The 4.4mm balanced cable does not necessarily bring a bigger jump in SQ than when I connect the ML to the single-ended output of my Naim or CMA Fifteen... There's an improvement yes, but both the ST and the ML still feel like $500-$1000 wired headphones.

Nothing against that, on the contrary.. For wireless headphones both the ST and the ML clearly represent the best one can get in the wireless headphones category...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back