T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Nov 14, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #76 of 1,854
My first impressions are sadly quite negative, mainly due to 2 reason:

1) Amp isn't powerful enough imo, I don't think my hearing is that bad yet.
2) Touch controls....Its a pain to enable transparency mode, also the feature were you touch and hold the the music isn't lowered enough for you to have an actual conversation with anyone. It's a shame since the buttons/sliders that are present seems to be of a really high quality. Why even bother with that feature if you can't hold a quick convo anyway. I expect more of a preimum German brand in that regard.

They're very detailed, perhaps too detailed for my taste, I need a bit more warmth! And since there's no app there's no EQ. But the major issue for me is a lack of power. But keep in mind im a huge fan of stuff like the Xelento's, 109 Pros, Lirics etc, so your preferences might be vastly different compared to me.

I also can't seem to keep connection with my phone when i hook them up via USB at my PC?

I think these could have grown on me if there was enough output volume, personally I really need that extra volume in order to fully enjoy the music (Yes I am a metalhead).

If you're fan of details without too much color in the sound, these might be for you, unless you really need much output power in order to fully enjoy the experience like me.

Comfort seems pretty good, the ear cups are more comfortable then I expected given that they're pretty small. The headphones also becomes incredibly small when folded (prob their biggest advantage), you could prob fit them in larger pockets on jackets.
I feel like both issues are software related and can be easily altered by firmware, as long as by "the amp isn't powerful enough" you only mean the volume isn't high enough, not the actual sound lacking power. I doubt they would have installed too weak of amplification into these by accident.

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #77 of 1,854
@C_Lindbergh thanks for the first impressions. How is the ANC? Have you listened to the ML 5909? If so, are the T+A quieter?
Haven't had time to test the Anc for real, but seems decent without reaching the levels of Sony/Bose.

One downside is that you can't enable the High Quality mode without turning of the AMC.

Never heard the MÖ I'm afraid.

Nov 15, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #78 of 1,854
Got mine Yesterday, and could compaire it to the Bathys and the PX8,

I really like it, the finish is oustanding, the metalworks can´t be found in any other BT headphone I´ve heared.

The sound ist quite analytical, perhapse a little bit less than the Bathys (but I have EQed the Bathys sound via app as I think it is out of the box quite aweful, raised the hights, lowered the bass). The soundstage is the same size, perhapse a little bit smaller.
The first impression I had (listening to some jazz as my first track) was like the Bathys ist listening to the musik in one of the front rows in a concert hall and the T+A in a Jazz club.
Had only the time to listen to it for about an hour before going to bed. To be honest at the moment I do not see almost double the price for the T+A compared to the Bathys (EQed), except the build, but that might change as soon as I have the time to spend more of it with the T+A

Nov 15, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #80 of 1,854
Humble request for anyone who has them to try and listen in passive wired mode (keep the switch on the left ear cup in OFF position) with external source gear. Would love to hear how well they perform with quality wired sources. Thanks!

Nov 15, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #81 of 1,854
ML 5909, A+T Solitaire T, AirPods Pro 2

5909_Sol_T_APP2.jpg

Nov 15, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #82 of 1,854
Initial impressions of Solitaire T.

The Solitaire T (ST) is BIG disappointment for different reasons:

1. Maximum volume is NOT loud enough. Some people complaining about H95 and 5909 not having enough max volume, but this 2 headphones for me are always fine and I'm someone that doesn't listening to music loud, but they getting very sufficiently loud for me when I want really rocking out. BUT, the ST is having very, very clearly less volume and in some music the max volume isn't sufficient (Mozart's Requiem with Karl Böhm, or Peter Gabriel 4, for example, but in my music collection I know many more albums will having a problem).

2. Play / pause is NOT responding well all the time. This is frustrating.

3. Volume isn't responding well and often is jumping too much AND sometimes is responding late!! This is critical aspect for me because I changing volume ALL the time. The ST is extremely frustrating because you don't always hitting correct position, and nothing happening, and somethings is jumping a lot in volume steps. Is unbelievable that the very cheap Sony XM3 is many times better in points 2 & 3. Totally unacceptable for this type of headphone.

About the sound (only testing in BT mode with iPhone 14 Pro). I'm not very happy. Is having good low end extension (never excessive), good, very correct mid bass, but from some part in the mids mids and upper mids until treble I can hearing some clear dips. Also, sound is VERY in your head, more than average. Right now the 5909, even with the sometimes little hot treble in only one part of the spectrum, is sounding clearly better, and many more spacious, AND with definitely better resolution.

I will waiting maybe 2 more days, but right now I'm 97% sure that I will returning the ST.

Other things:

Construction quality is very good in ST but the H95 and PX8 for me feeling little more premium. H95 and PX8 both having leather headbands and earpads, and the user experience of both H95 and PX8 is so much better than ST.

ST is very, very comfortable and compact but some people will having problems with (small) size of earpads.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #83 of 1,854

1. Maximum volume is NOT loud enough. Some people complaining about H95 and 5909 not having enough max volume, but this 2 headphones for me are always fine and I'm someone that doesn't listening to music loud, but they getting very sufficiently loud for me when I want really rocking out. BUT, the ST is having very, very clearly less volume and in some music the max volume isn't sufficient (Mozart's Requiem with Karl Böhm, or Peter Gabriel 4, for example, but in my music collection I know many more albums will having a problem).

3. Volume isn't responding well and often is jumping too much AND sometimes is responding late!! This is critical aspect for me because I changing volume ALL the time. The ST is extremely frustrating because you don't always hitting correct position, and nothing happening, and somethings is jumping a lot in volume steps. Is unbelievable that the very cheap Sony XM3 is many times better in points 2 & 3. Totally unacceptable for this type of headphone.

About the sound (only testing in BT mode with iPhone 14 Pro). I'm not very happy. Is having good low end extension (never excessive), good, very correct mid bass, but from some part in the mids mids and upper mids until treble I can hearing some clear dips. Also, sound is VERY in your head, more than average. Right now the 5909, even with the sometimes little hot treble in only one part of the spectrum, is sounding clearly better, and many more spacious, AND with definitely better resolution.

I will waiting maybe 2 more days, but right now I'm 97% sure that I will returning the ST.

Other things:

Construction quality is very good in ST but the H95 and PX8 for me feeling little more premium. H95 and PX8 both having leather headbands and earpads, and the user experience of both H95 and PX8 is so much better than ST.

ST is very, very comfortable and compact but some people will having problems with (small) size of earpads.
Ah, so it's not just me that thinks the volume is too low.

And yeah, touch controls are absolutely crap...

Nov 15, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #84 of 1,854
It's disappointing that such an anticipated and expensive release seems to fall so flat. Regardless of sound, ANC, and touch controls, any headphone that is less loud than ML 5909 or H95 is going to be a disappointment for most people. That's a head-scratcher.

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #85 of 1,854
No app, low volume and flunky touch controls, flawed quick attention mode...For the price its unacceptable imo. Not a fan that they skipped real leather as well :/

But the built quality/compactness is very impressive. I'm also liking how T+A are hinting that the battery will be pretty easily replaceable. Wish every OEM of premium BT cans did that!

Most likely a return for my part as well :/ The search for the perfect BT headphone continues, hopefully we'll see some more premium BT cans next year with the latest qualcomm SoC!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #86 of 1,854

3. Volume isn't responding well and often is jumping too much! This is critical aspect for me because I changing volume ALL the time. The ST is extremely frustrating because you don't always hitting correct position, and nothing happening, and somethings is jumping a lot in volume steps. Is unbelievable that the very cheap Sony XM3 is many times better in points 2 & 3. Totally unacceptable for this type of headphone.

Other things:

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #87 of 1,854
Little more quick testing.

With the 3.5mm cable (connected to my 2021 16" MacBook Pro) the sound is very more loud, and is fully passive (headphone is off).

In USB mode (from my MacBook Pro) the volume I think is only little more loud BUT headphone MUST be on, so isn't completely passive in this mode.

All the modes (BT, 3.5mm and USB) are giving very similar sound quality (this is a super quick test) and I hearing better sound from the 3.5mm mode.

I will now listening more without comparing headphones for having better feeling of the signature and for accustoming to touch controls and seeing how much the volume is a BIG problem in my case.

EDIT: This also giving mechanical parts little break in time. For me break in in a headphone or earphone isn't more than 1 hour, and even of this I'm not sure because I'm extremely sceptical of this aspect and others similar aspects of audio.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #88 of 1,854
They have not been released in North America. I am guessing everyone on this forum who has tried them must have purchased them in Europe. The sonic characteristics you are describing of the Solitaire T matches the beta version that was circulating around, but not the finished product. I will wait to hear them for myself before making any judgement calls prematurely.

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #89 of 1,854
They have not been released in North America. I am guessing everyone on this forum who has tried them must have purchased them in Europe. The sonic characteristics you are describing of the Solitaire T matches the beta version that was circulating around, but not the finished product. I will wait to hear them for myself before making any judgement calls prematurely.
Any source? A software update could help, but I don't have any high hopes.

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #90 of 1,854

Maybe we here in Europe are getting the 'cheap' 1300€ beta version and you in America will getting the better "finished product" 1600€ version. :)

What is not acceptable is that if this headphone is supposing coming with an app, that the app isn't ready for launch. Production can having delays, of course, but the app can continue the development for being ready in time. AND the volume!!

The signature of ST right in this moment I describing as reasonably neutral and, with VERY safe treble for never offending anybody, but is definitely lacking at least little necessary sparkle, so I describing right now as neutral-warm. The very good thing is that mid bass and low bass are NOT elevated, they have perfect weight / amplitude, in my opinion, better than Bathys and PX8.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back