T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Sep 9, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #1,441 of 1,912
That is where I would like to buy them from but on the Swedish page I see nothing. Have you a link to it maybe?
A mate who works there showed it in their internal systems...

Sep 9, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #1,443 of 1,912
Sep 9, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,444 of 1,912
the Dali have a really elegant design for sure

Sep 9, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,445 of 1,912
the Dali have a really elegant design for sure

I actually don't like the design of the Dali IO 12 at all. Is a big and NOT very nice contrast, in my opinion, having square/rectangular earpads against the rest of the round earcups. I think the B&O H95, that having similar design, achieving a better design compromise.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,446 of 1,912
One more fresh very positive review from Hungarian magazine: https://www.sztereomagazin.hu/teszt/ta-solitaire-t-otthon-es-utkozben-is-a-csucson/
Screenshot_2023-09-10-00-11-17-61_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

Sep 9, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #1,447 of 1,912

Here is the English translation of the review:

T+A Solitaire T – ON TOP AT HOME AND ON THE ROAD

The T+A Solitaire T headphones are audiophile-grade closed-back wireless headphones that support analog balanced and unbalanced connections, support USB digital audio input, and Bluetooth aptX connectivity. It also has an ANC circuit and an extremely long battery life of 70 hours.

TA-Solitaire-T-headphone-top-close-sztereomagazin.jpg

T+At was founded in 1978 in Germany. “T+A” stands for “Theory and Application in Audio Technology”. True to the brand's philosophy, T+A focused on high-end hi-fi equipment. Design and production takes place at the company's headquarters in Herdford. In 2020, T+A launched their first pair of headphones, the wired Solitaire P with planar magnetostatic drivers. Then just two years later, in November 2022, the Solitaire T, their first wireless headphone, was released, surpassing many other headphones in its category. he ordered behind him.

Overview

The Solitaire T is a rather traditional form of headphones with an aesthetic appearance. At first glance, it suggests good quality, and even when held in the hand, it creates a feeling of luxury. The white color and the silver of the aluminum elements give the device a special character. The speakers are covered with a red protective cloth, on which the sides are marked with silver letters. The padding of the ear cushions and headband is white, very high quality artificial leather. The aluminum part of the headband has the inscription T+A on both sides, which can be adjusted for different head sizes with a single movement, in 8-8 steps per side.

TA-Solitaire-T-headphone-black-sztereomagazin.jpg

The earcups can be folded and rotated 180 degrees outwards and inwards, which helps in packing and storage. Well-sized ear cushions and a stable headband ensure safe and comfortable wear. The vegan artificial leather is soft and closes well, we currently have no experience with its durability. The switches and buttons are different from the usual layout. The on/off slider is on the left earcup, with 4 LED indicators underneath, which show the battery charge status and give feedback on charging.

On the right earcup, there is the Bluetooth switch and pairing slider, as well as a dedicated button for starting the digital assistant and another for switching audio modes. Long switches with a ribbed surface and small protruding buttons are easy to feel and reach with your thumb. When in Bluetooth mode, a small red LED gives a clear visual indication that the headphones are in active wireless mode.

TA-Solitaire-T-headphone-close-buttons-sztereomagazin.jpg

That's not all. The right ear pad is a touch pad that allows you to control playback – start, stop, pause one track forward or backward – and control the volume. A separate small round touch area regulates the exclusion and admission of ambient noise. The built-in lithium-ion battery has a capacity of 12,000 mAh, which enables 70 hours of music listening.

This is approx. in HQ mode. is halved. Charging is possible via USB-C port (max. 1A). It takes 2 hours to fully charge. A mobile app is also available for controlling the headphones, such as setting the ANC level and customizing the EQ, updating the firmware. It is unusual that the voice command uses a male voice.

Connectors - ANC (Ambient Noise Canceling)

Solitaire T can work in both analog and digital mode. Accordingly, the necessary connection surfaces can also be found on it. For analog operation, a 3.5mm stereo jack cable is provided, which includes a 6.3mm converter. It is noteworthy that they also include a 4.4 mm symmetrical connector, which significantly improves the interference immunity of the analog signal. This can only be used with an amplifier that has a balanced output. (Increasingly mandatory in audiophile systems.)

Wireless connection

A digital, wireless Bluetooth or cable USB-C connection is available. Compatible Bluetooth versions are: 5.1, class 2) SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD. The D/A conversion is performed by an ESS ES9218P Saber DAC (48 kHz / 16 bit. In all cases when the headphones are turned on, regardless of whether they are connected to the source via analog or digital means, it is in active mode.

This means that the built-in ANC (Ambient Noise Reduction) is working and can be controlled. Of course, you don't need to turn on the headphones for analog use, but in this case the noise reduction doesn't work either. With USB + Bluetooth On, Bluetooth audio takes priority, and with Analog + Bluetooth On, analog audio takes priority.

Ear cushions

The ear cushions have good sound insulation by default, which is further strengthened by the built-in ANC circuit. The T+A Solitaire T uses Sony's CXD Hybrid noise cancellation processor, so ANC can eliminate general ambient noise. The noise reducer is of very good quality, it does not change the sound image, compared to many other types.

TA-Solitaire-T-headphone-close-sztereomagazin.jpg

The transparent mode sounds quite open, the volume of the music seems a bit quieter. The ANC system is not optimized to mimic the sound of open-back headphones, but to allow the human voice to enter the headphones. If you want to pay more attention to your surroundings, you can simply turn off the ANC, so you can only detect a little noise, but only in really noisy places, as the ear cushions isolate passive noises quite well.

Phone call quality

With the Solitaire T headphones, we can achieve a slightly better quality than what is usually average for over-ear headphones. Tested in wind, the microphone could barely pick up my voice. In noisy places, such as a cafe, the system suppresses background noises quite well, so you can have a decent conversation.

What I really like is that even during calls, you can turn on and off the active noise cancellation (ANC) and Transparency modes without interrupting the conversation. This is a situation that many headphones and wireless earbuds cannot handle.

Voice

The Solitaire T headphones use 42 mm low-tolerance dynamic precision speakers with cellulose, edge-attenuating diaphragms. Its frequency response ranges from 4 Hz to 22 kHz. As a result of the specially developed driver system, the highs are silky and airy, the mids are clear and the bass has character without being overly aggressive.

TA-Solitaire-T-headphone-inbox-sztereomagazin.jpg

The sound of the three types of input (analog, USB and Bluetooth) is not worth comparing, since the analog sound is highly dependent on the quality of the source device used (passive mode). In this case, the built-in circuits do not work. Using the digital inputs, the internal DAC processes the audio signal stream. The built-in converter is of very high quality, the difference between the sounds coming from each source is almost barely audible, which is also not the case for other types.

Hearing

I used the USB input and thus the headphone's own D/A converter, with ANC turned off. The sound is generally characterized by perfect balance with great dynamics. The rhythm section of the track "5 Women+" from Prince: The Vault's album pulsates well, the bass is firm and well captured and not a bit more than necessary. The drums are pregnant. They represent the main elements of the orchestration. The carpets and strings are slightly further back in space. The width of the stereo base is completely normal. It's not narrow, but it's not unnaturally wide either, but the stage could be deeper. The localization of the instruments is accurate.

TA-Solitaire-T-headphone-fold-sztereomagazin.jpg

The Best of Eric Clapton: Change the World. All of what I said above can be observed. The high range is wonderfully detailed. The midrange is also very clear, but at the same time retains warmth and body. You can clearly hear the small hoarseness in Clapton's voice. The vibration of the strings of acoustic guitars can almost be felt by hand.

The headphones emphasize the intensity of the vocals, the details of the instruments, while retaining the bass. The High Quality mode didn't affect the character of the soundstage much, but it did make a slight difference in timbre, which is undoubtedly the Solitaire T's most impressive feature. The presentation and soundstage were perfectly adequate, but it left a mostly neutral impression on me.

Summarization

The Solitaire T is excellent in both quality and sound. It is made of high-quality components and also with excellently designed features. Comfortable wear and extremely long battery life of 70 hours. If I could only have one pair of audiophile-grade headphones that I could use in all situations, I would seriously consider the Solitaire Tt, as they are by far the only wireless headphones I've heard that offer decent wired passive audio performance.

So there is no need to compromise between premium wireless headphones and excellent wired ones. That's not to say that the Solitaire T has the best sound, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a headphone that delivers superior performance in both wired and wireless audio. So, if money is not an issue, the Solitaire T is the best headphone that offers audiophile quality wired and wireless performance.

(József Brindzik)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,448 of 1,912
I actually don't like the design of the Dali IO 12 at all. Is a big and NOT very nice contrast, in my opinion, having square/rectangular earpads against the rest of the round earcups. I think the B&O H95, that having similar design, achieving a better design compromise.
To each their own. I think it's very architectural and visually interesting. The SolT is nice but kind of without personality. inoffensive like something Forbes or esquire would champion.

Or something from a Sharper image catalog

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #1,449 of 1,912
To each their own.

Yes, definitely. Taste in design, like in so many others things in life, is very personal.

I think [the IO 12] it's very architectural and visually interesting.

I think for many years B&O having the best designs (and construction quality) in (BT/ANC) headphones. Dali following (or almost copying!), more or less, the B&O designs with Dali's IO6 & IO4 models but, don't looking so nice, and, in fact, looking a little cheap in person and definitely don't having the construction quality at all like B&O (I owning the not cheap IO 6 when releasing).

Both companies then changing their designs after many people complaining that the nice and aesthetic round designs aren't good for many people's ear shapes (my case here too). I insist that B&O's H95 achieving a better compromise of a not ideal deign (they really not want having) than Dalis IO 12's similar dilemma/problem. But this is, of course, still my opinion.

The SolT is nice but kind of without personality. inoffensive like something Forbes or esquire would champion.

Or something from a Sharper image catalog

Lacking personality, but in some ways like minimalistic Bauhaus style, is perfect for me. "Inoffensive" is a curious choice of word, not my choice but ok, if is what you thinking. I think the ST design is architecturally very more apt and even interesting (but still not perfect and can be improving, for me).

By the way, I know Forbes and Esquire but I never reading this 2 publications (in paper or online) because they don't have content that is interesting for me at all, and their online articles for me are extremely boring. But maybe, after your comment, I must reconsidering my opinion and maybe obtain a subscription for one or both.

About Sharper, I don't have idea what this is, but I'm sure Google can giving me a lot of useful information about this.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,450 of 1,912
I don't think Forbes or Esquire are worth getting a subscription for. My point is that they are uncultured persons reference for culture. Like
Yes, definitely. Taste in design, like in so many others things in life, is very personal.

I think for many years B&O having the best designs (and construction quality) in (BT/ANC) headphones. Dali following (or almost copying!), more or less, the B&O designs with Dali's IO6 & IO4 models but, don't looking so nice, and, in fact, looking a little cheap in person and definitely don't having the construction quality at all like B&O (I owning the not cheap IO 6 when releasing).

Both companies then changing their designs after many people complaining that the nice and aesthetic round designs aren't good for many people's ear shapes (my case here too). I insist that B&O's H95 achieving a better compromise of a not ideal deign (they really not want having) than Dalis IO 12's similar dilemma/problem. But this is, of course, still my opinion.

Lacking personality, but in some ways like minimalistic Bauhaus style, is perfect for me. "Inoffensive" is a curious choice of word, not my choice but ok, if is what you thinking. I think the ST design is architecturally very more apt and even interesting (but still not perfect and can be improving,
for me).

By the way, I know Forbes and Esquire but I never reading this 2 publications (in paper or online) because they don't have content that is interesting for me at all, and their online articles for me are extremely boring. But maybe, after your comment, I must reconsidering my opinion and maybe obtain a subscription for one or both.

About Sharper, I don't have idea what this is, but I'm sure Google can giving me a lot of useful information about this.

Yes B&O definitely have superior design to anything else. The H95 are still the best looking headphones on the market.

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #1,451 of 1,912
Just received my T+As. I am glad the companion app exists. The bass boost setting is great although I will say it cuts the overall volume compared the flat setting which is a little interesting.

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #1,452 of 1,912
Just received my T+As. I am glad the companion app exists. The bass boost setting is great although I will say it cuts the overall volume compared the flat setting which is a little interesting.

This is a surprise (that after all this time you buying the ST -- maybe Darko's review helping you in your decision?).

Here is one suggestion for you. My impression is that you like a little bassy sound, so maybe is a good idea that you using the ST exclusively for 2-3 days with flat EQ / no EQ. Maybe, if you doing this, you will hearing the excellent bass performance of the ST in flat EQ mode and will starting appreciating what a more neutral sound can offering you. Isn't easy initially, but you will discovering soon some 'magic' in the music that you don't expecting.

Like I saying, this is only a suggestion.

Sep 13, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,453 of 1,912
This is a surprise (that after all this time you buying the ST -- maybe Darko's review helping you in your decision?).

Here is one suggestion for you. My impression is that you like a little bassy sound, so maybe is a good idea that you using the ST exclusively for 2-3 days with flat EQ / no EQ. Maybe, if you doing this, you will hearing the excellent bass performance of the ST in flat EQ mode and will starting appreciating what a more neutral sound can offering you. Isn't easy initially, but you will discovering soon some 'magic' in the music that you don't expecting.

Like I saying, this is only a suggestion.

I hope you enjoy surprises!

Actually the motivation was two things
1. I started my new job and my salary has dramatically increased (10x!) so I can afford to collect headphones. The joy of discovery, even if its something I end up not liking, is worth it/exciting!
2. I wanted something that was more compact that the ML 5909 for travel. The ML are a little bulky because they don't fold and are overall bigger.
3. Improved EQ-ability without distorting. The ST are very very responsive to EQ and I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of being able to EQ things. I got to audition them at CanJam and their ability to be EQ'd more aggressively without causing distortion was really appreciated. Speaks to the excellent quality of the drivers used. And this was true of wavelet for mobile EQ and for more involved PC EQ apps.

I will give the flat mode an extended audition just to get more familiar with the T+A house tuning. In the past, I have owned several pairs of neutral tuned headphones (HD600 perhaps the pinnacle of neutral tuning) and I ended up always wanting more bass. For acoustic, folk and for my rare classical and jazz listening I appreciate a flat tuning a little more as some bass boosted EQs can sometimes seem artificial.

However, for electronic music (about 80% of my music listening) there isn't a such thing as real timbre (its all synthetic) and a nice mid bass emphasis is overall pleasure-able to my ear. A funny manifestation of this is so far Ive found I prefer non HQ mode to HQ mode for electronic music. This makes sense if you compare the FRC for the two modes:

1694628555993.png

As you can see the solt T in HQ mode (gold) has a relative sub and mid bass cut compared to baseline!

Also it might just be something about my own ear anatomy that bass is more attenuated and so more "accurate" bass to me requires EQ. Preference is a very interesting thing!

I will say there are a few things that I like about the ML5909

1. The earcups are definitely much bigger and much more plush. The on ear feel of the 5909 is noticeably more luxurious. I plan to keep the former for longer listening sessions while working in my office for example.
2. The on-ear detection feature of the ML5909 is a nice feature
3. The physical buttons of the ML5909. I love physical buttons personally more than touch for headphones. I am sure I will adjust but I keep accidentally pausing or playing music when i adjust the headphones
4. ML5909 pairs right away with my phone when I turn it on. The SolT I have to toggle bluetooth off and then back on after turning the headphones on to reconnect. It is a little annoying to have to play with two toggle switches.

FRC for comparison
1694629432121.png

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #1,454 of 1,912
2. I wanted something that was more compact that the ML 5909 for travel. The ML are a little bulky because they don't fold and are overall bigger.
Congrats on the promotion and the new headphones! With the release of IO-12 in limbo, and the fact that I'm facing 48hrs of flying in Octobre alone... I'm suddenly seriously considering the ST for portability (and from what I gathered in this thread, better airplane noise ANC/isolation). On my last trip, even though I took my bulky ML 5909, I ended up favoring the AP2 on the flight. Hoping that wouldn't be the case with the STs.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #1,455 of 1,912
Congrats on the promotion and the new headphones! With the release of IO-12 in limbo, and the fact that I'm facing 48hrs of flying in Octobre alone... I'm suddenly seriously considering the ST for portability (and from what I gathered in this thread, better airplane noise ANC/isolation). On my last trip, even though I took my bulky ML 5909, I ended up favoring the AP2 on the flight. Hoping that wouldn't be the case with the STs.
AP2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back