T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Jul 15, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,323 of 1,912
Because this thread was important source of information about S-T for me, I think it would be useful to leave my conversation with T+A support here.
Q: I frequently prefer usb-c connection + bluetooth off (USB-C DAC?) mode over passive mode (via 3.5mm) for Solitaire T headphones with my Macbook Pro M1 2021 for listening to music. Is a permanent connection to power safe for the headphone's battery? Is there any battery protection for this use?
A: The Solitaire T is designed for continuous operation on a supply voltage. The battery is monitored and protected by an intelligent battery management system.

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,324 of 1,912
Because this thread was important source of information about S-T for me, I think it would be useful to leave my conversation with T+A support here.
Q: I frequently prefer usb-c connection + bluetooth off (USB-C DAC?) mode over passive mode (via 3.5mm) for Solitaire T headphones with my Macbook Pro M1 2021 for listening to music. Is a permanent connection to power safe for the headphone's battery? Is there any battery protection for this use?
A: The Solitaire T is designed for continuous operation on a supply voltage. The battery is monitored and protected by an intelligent battery management system.
That is correct regarding Solitaire T switched on, but no Bluetooth.

Most wireless headphones do not have this possibility, but the Solitaire T does!
Left earcup has a slider to turn on/off the unit.
Right earcup has a Bluetooth slider to turn on/off.

Thus, to guarantee USB-C mode (and thus all DAC decoding and Class A amp operation via ESS Sabre ES9218 chip), turn on the device, and turn off the Bluetooth module.
This will allow USB-C mode to function correctly.

You can still have the unit on, Bluetooth on, and USB-C plugged in, but this is for convenience for things like phone calls whilst listening via USB-C mode. However, I just check on occasion if music is routed correctly in this instance.

Now that @angelom and @WDitters have both given us all a PSA regarding the new firmware v4.2.1 update (posts here and here respectively), USB-C mode allows 24 bit/96.0 kHz maximum sampling rate playback!
With the previous volume increase and multipoint, I will be retesting the Solitaire T in USB-C mode to see if I can enjoy it. If so, this means I do not need anything more than my phone when commuting/travelling (and choose either Bluetooth or USB-C), take my digital desktop player and battery transportable high-end system at the desk at work, or use Bluetooth for convenience and phone calls. I won't need to invest into a separate portable DAC/amp, as I'm actually carrying one via the headphone!
So, hopefully, my tests will be good in USB-C mode (🤞🏽), but I'll post my conclusions in due course.

I'm also pleased to know that the Solitaire T can be plugged in for charging for long periods of time (which I normally don't recommend). However, as there is a massive 70+ hours (35+ in Bluetooth HQ or USB-C modes), and I often use my cans in passive wired balanced mode, I hardly need to charge, thus preserving battery life for very long usage!

Edit: many errors or incomplete sentences, just edited everything to make the post sound ha ha 😅

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #1,326 of 1,912
With the new updated firmware the SQ is getting better with wireless HQ mode using my iPhone 13 as a source, so happy !
Could it be that you came from the original factory shipped firmware and that you skipped a few by going immediately to the last one?

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #1,329 of 1,912
WDitters could you advise on an upgrade balanced cable which may increase sub bass as well as soundstage and keeping details..,
To be honest I have only tried two cables, an Audiophile Ninja copper cable and a Forza Claire Hybrid HPC silver-plated. As I do not get these cables for free, and as these cables have a T+A specific customized wiring, that limits my possibilities to compare cables ... Having said that, I find the Forza Claire Hybrid to improve substantially on soundstage and transparency. On sub bass not so much, but neither does the Audiophile Ninja. Chances are that the Forza Noir series offer a slightly improved sub bass, since I have experienced that with other headphones, but at this point that would need to be tested ...

Jul 17, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #1,330 of 1,912
Lets say I have the phones paired to 3 different devices, I'm usually having either the Phone+Desktop or Phone+Laptop turned on, very rarely is all my 3 devices turned on.

Will I be able to listen effortlessly on my 3 devices, given that I don't have them all turned on at the same time?

Also has anyone used the Solitare T's with any of the Chinese APTX USB-adapters?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,331 of 1,912
Lets say I have the phones paired to 3 different devices, I'm usually having either the Phone+Desktop or Phone+Laptop turned on, very rarely is all my 3 devices turned on.

Will I be able to listen effortlessly on my 3 devices, given that I don't have them all turned on at the same time?

No. Even if you have 3 or more devices paired to the ST and BT on in all devices, the ST will connecting only to last 2 devices automatically.

If you want using other third device, you must disconnecting one of the 2 paired devices with ST and then connect a new ‘second’ device. I know because I testing this before with 3 devices. I think this is true with all or the majority of multipoint BT headphones (maybe the only exception is with Apple earphones/headphones, but only if using Apple devices (iPhone, Mac, iPad or Apple TV)).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #1,332 of 1,912
No. Even if you have 3 or more devices paired to the ST and BT on in all devices, the ST will connecting only to last 2 devices automatically.

If you want using other third device, you must disconnecting one of the 2 paired devices with ST and then connect a new ‘second’ device. I know because I testing this before with 3 devices. I think this is true with all or the majority of multipoint BT headphones (maybe the only exception is with Apple earphones/headphones, but only if using Apple devices (iPhone, Mac, iPad or Apple TV)).

With disconnect you mean unpair? I'm asking about if you only have 2 of all paired devices on! :p Shouldn't the headphones just connect to the last paired device in the list if it can't find one of the two last paired devices?

Also to clarify, if you plug them into a pc via the USB connecriin, will they charge up and then bypass the battery completely?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #1,333 of 1,912
... which is not specific to the ST but rather behavior by design. Bluetooth Multipoint by design is limited to the 2 last sources the - multipoint compatible - device (headphones, earbuds, TWS earphones etc) was connected to.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #1,334 of 1,912
Jul 18, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #1,335 of 1,912
A new update for the app in iOS is available (1.0.4). The notes saying:

- Bluetooth connection issues fixed.
- Improved Bluetooth pairing.

Unfortunately I don’t have my ST with me now because I’m away some days, so I don’t know if the ST having a firmware update too. Maybe others persons can checking this?

Only after few days of version 1.0.4 of the app for iOS devices, we have a new version, 1.0.5.

The notes for this update are identical than the previous update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back