T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #1,306 of 1,912
I just got my ST a few days ago, was not so impressed in wireless use, but with wired balanced use, it was a very big surprise for me, very impressed by the details, tune balance, outstanding realism of the sound, for me it is really on the top ten of the closed back HP on the market with a top price value.
I own a ZMF VC an XTC closed 1.5 and other closed back ones.
Never heard such a natural sound before, if you keen on deep Bass, it is not for you…

Just out of curiosity, what type of device are you using as wireless source to the ST?

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #1,308 of 1,912
iPhone 13, if I use a DAP then I prefer to use it with a balanced wire.

Have you tried them wirelessly with an Android DAP yet? Perferrably one that supports APTX-HD? I must admit that I do not fully know the difference in quality between AAC and APTX-HD but in theory APTX-HD should allow you to reach a slightly higher SQ with the ST, especially with HQ mode on.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #1,310 of 1,912
To connect an Android DAP is the T+A App must be added ?

For the connection itself it is not necessary to add the T+A app .. The app however is useful for firmware updates.

Jul 14, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,311 of 1,912
I tried with the Aptx HD, sounds better than with the iPhone but not as good as wired even with HQ mode it still sound dryer than wired with bass quality not that good and the stage is a bit narrow compared with the cable.
Is ST needs really to be burned in ? If yes how long ?
Is it maybe worthwhile to upgrade the balanced cable ? If yes what might the most suitable one, cooper, silver, hybrid ?

Jul 14, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,312 of 1,912
I tried with the Aptx HD, sounds better than with the iPhone but not as good as wired even with HQ mode it still sound dryer than wired with bass quality not that good and the stage is a bit narrow compared with the cable.
Is it maybe worthwhile to upgrade the balanced cable ? If yes what might the most suitable one, cooper, silver, hybrid ?
Lots to go over.

First, have you applied the firmware update to your Solitaire T? If not, you're missing out on global +3dB volume increase via Bluetooth.

Second, there are three Bluetooth modes beyond what codec your device outputs.

On the Solitaire T, you can select:

- Bluetooth standard
This uses the Qualcomm QCC5127 chipset as Bluetooth codec decoder, DAC, and Qualcomm Class AB amp

- Bluetooth ANC
Similar to the first, but here Qualcomm decodes the Bluetooth codec, then hands off ANC, DAC, and Class AB amplifier duties to a Sony CXD chip.
You also have options on how strong you want the noise cancelling function, though this requires the companion app

- Bluetooth HQ mode
Qualcomm decodes the Bluetooth codec, but that's it.
Qualcomm DAC and amps, alongside Sony DAC and amps, are fully bypassed.
After Qualcomm decodes Bluetooth codec, signal is sent to ESS Sabre ES9218 DAC chip, for DAC decoding and Class A amplifiers.
As the ESS chip uses Class A amps, Solitaire T battery life drops from 70+ hours to 35+ hours.
This is the best version of wireless music listening, and best in quiet environments. Louder ones, better to use standard or Qualcomm/Sony ANC.

Depending on what mode you have been listening music to may help both us and yourself understand the sonic quality you have been hearing.

For (balanced) cables, I'm all about pure silver, as I want the fastest electrical conduit available. Pure graphene cables don't exist, which leaves only silver as the best metal conductor of electricity, with copper behind (gold is worst).
However, I am not a fan of using cables as tone controls, so if that's what you're interested in, members like @WDitters can help!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #1,313 of 1,912

Perhaps to manage the expectations somewhat.... Any form of Bluetooth - at current standards - will sound inferior to wired for the simple reason that the current codecs all are lossy by design. If you expect the ST to sound equal in wireless and wired mode, you will be disappointed.... There are signs that newer wireless technologies that support full bandwidth uncompressed audio are around the corner, but those will take another 2-3 years to mature and become ready for application in products such as headphones.

However, if you can accept Bluetooth as being lossy and inferior to wired, you will see that in fact there are no Bluetooth headphones that are equal or better than the ST. Some come close, but in my opinion the ST currently are class leading...

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #1,314 of 1,912
A new update for the app in iOS is available (1.0.4). The notes saying:

- Bluetooth connection issues fixed.
- Improved Bluetooth pairing.

Unfortunately I don’t have my ST with me now because I’m away some days, so I don’t know if the ST having a firmware update too. Maybe others persons can checking this?

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #1,315 of 1,912
A new update for the app in iOS is available (1.0.4). The notes saying:

- Bluetooth connection issues fixed.
- Improved Bluetooth pairing.

Unfortunately I don’t have my ST with me now because I’m away some days, so I don’t know if the ST having a firmware update too. Maybe others persons can checking this?
Oh that's interesting, pretty quick update since the last one, especially since it's the weekend in most of the world. I just checked and no update on my end so far, I'm on Android.

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #1,316 of 1,912
I will add, for whoever cares about multipoint, sometimes the headphones dont connect properly if I've connected to a third device. I have hit the pairing button to recconnet to the original two devices. It would be really helpful if the app showed you the paired devices.

Also, thank you angelom, your advice about switching audio in multipoint was helpful, the audio switch takes about 5-6 seconds (on the safe side).

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #1,317 of 1,912
4.2.1 USB Audio now supports 96kHz instead of 48kHz

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #1,319 of 1,912
Sadly, I just can’t get any energy or excitement from the T when used as Bluetooth headphones connected to my iPhone. The EQ in the app seems to make little difference. They come across to me as so neutral that they lack any energy or character. No doubt that they are well engineered but it seems something is missing. I wonder if others feel this way after having these for a while?

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,320 of 1,912
Sadly, I just can’t get any energy or excitement from the T when used as Bluetooth headphones connected to my iPhone. The EQ in the app seems to make little difference. They come across to me as so neutral that they lack any energy or character. No doubt that they are well engineered but it seems something is missing. I wonder if others feel this way after having these for a while?
i share the same feeling to a certain degree. i prefer 5909 quite a bit over S-T for the tuning. just like i prefer the excitement of either viking ragnar or XE6 over pmx's tuning. though i guess many could have a different preference and love tuning of S-T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back