T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
May 4, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #1,201 of 1,841
Pulled the plug this morning, on the white version (my first white pair ever - it looked the best in my eyes). Using Oxford Audio store.
Paid half an hour ago and 15 minutes after that I got confirmation that the parcel is being prepared and is now complete / awaiting for delivery. That was ultra fast and kudos to the team at Oxford Audio. Being delivered with UPS standard so I'm hoping to have them in my hands tomorrow (maybe?). I'm excited but also reserved as I have not demoed this at all and I'm going in blindly.

LE: Started an email chain with the guys over at Oxford Audio and asked whether they accept returns on headphones (as their website said earphones only) and they offered to send me their demo unit to try before I unbox mine (that's amazing - kudos to Oxford Audio team). Mine is already with the courier and the shop has also mentioned that I bought their last pair of whites :D

Now I can sleep easy tonight, knowing I will have a demo unit to try. Problem will be to be able to hold myself unboxing mine before the demo arrives lol....

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,202 of 1,841
Welcome to the Solitaire T club @tret and @1ceb0x! 🎧🤍

As @angelom has said earlier, we do like impressions and critique, as long as you can provide fair examples and context so we can understand where you're coming from.

I sincerely hope you enjoy the cans, but do also respect that you have returns policies too, should Solitaire T not be what you like.

Any questions you have, please ask!

Either way, very excited for you both! 😁

May 4, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #1,203 of 1,841
Welcome to the Solitaire T club @tret and @1ceb0x! 🎧🤍

I'm sure you're only welcoming 1ceb0x because he ordering the exciting white and silver version that you have and not the boring black and silver that many of us buying. :)

After fixing the pad gap, "Now we're talking!" Now I can give them a proper listen, but just wanted to post here in case anyone else is shocked at how bad yours sound out of the box. Double check to make sure the pads are fully seated.

Please post your impressions too now that you finding what the problem is with your ST.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #1,204 of 1,841
I'm sure you're only welcoming 1ceb0x because he ordering the exciting white and silver version and not the boring black and silver that many of us buying. :)
NoooOOOOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooOoooOOOOooooooOOOOOooo... 😜

(White/Silver is the best one 😏)

---

Working from home today and listening to my audio system!
Was listening to the new electro-pop album Fuse by Everyone but the Girl (24 bit/44.1 kHz) (Qobuz stream also available here).
However, currently listening to some might-fine jazz: In a Silent Way (2002, SACD, Columbia/Legacy CS 86556) by Miles Davis (in DSD64 format) 😊🎧

Gear: See my sig!

PSX_20230504_150809.jpg

PSX_20230504_150923.jpg

PSX_20230504_150940.jpg

PSX_20230504_151130.jpg

May 4, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,205 of 1,841
(White/Silver is the best one 😏)

I think I saying this before, that I never like white headphones, but the ST is the only headphone that I think is looking very nice in white (and silver), and my opinion is in big part because of the photos you posting in this thread.

However, currently listening to some might-fine jazz: In a Silent Way (2002, SACD, Columbia/Legacy CS 86556) by Miles Davis (in DSD64 format) 😊🎧

This isn't Miles Davis but is a perfect (in my opinion) pop song from start to finish, "Always Ending In You" by unknown band Polyenso (from their excellent first album 'One Big Particular Loop'). This song having a wonderful Miles Davis influence from 2:36 and specially from 4:27.

May 4, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #1,206 of 1,841
I think I saying this before, that I never like white headphones, but the ST is the only headphone that I think is looking very nice in white (and silver), and my opinion is in big part because of the photos you posting in this thread.
Naww, thank you for the kind words, and liking my pics (blushes 🥰) 🤍

This isn't Miles Davis but is a perfect (in my opinion) pop song from start to finish, "Always Ending In You" by unknown band Polyenso (from their excellent first album 'One Big Particular Loop'). This song having a wonderful Miles Davis influence from 2:36 and specially from 4:27.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh new music, will check on Tidal first and listen; cheers! 🍻🎶

May 4, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #1,207 of 1,841

For those who love the original Miles Davis - Bitches Brew..

Listen to the release London Brew by London Brew on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/bjc8issw7wzoa

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230504_192219_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230504_192219_Gallery.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 0
May 4, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,208 of 1,841
For those who love the original Miles Davis - Bitches Brew..

Listen to the release London Brew by London Brew on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/bjc8issw7wzoa
I have DSD64 rips of both discs of Bitches Brew (2018, JP, SACD, Sony Records Int./Legacy SICJ-10008/9) by Miles Davis (MusicBrainz database entry), and the Japanese release is gorgeous to listen to via my setup, and you can feel the groove and atmosphere...might listen to this in my last 30 mins of work!
The Japanese SACD copy also happens to be superior to my old 2013 HDTracks 24 bit/96 kHz version (which I assume is an upsample from who knows what source 😑).

However, I shall add London Brew to my collection to listen to as well; thank you!! 😊

May 4, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #1,209 of 1,841
I have DSD64 rips of both discs of Bitches Brew (2018, JP, SACD, Sony Records Int./Legacy SICJ-10008/9) by Miles Davis (MusicBrainz database entry), and the Japanese release is gorgeous to listen to via my setup, and you can feel the groove and atmosphere...might listen to this in my last 30 mins of work!
The Japanese SACD copy also happens to be superior to my old 2013 HDTracks 24 bit/96 kHz version (which I assume is an upsample from who knows what source 😑).

However, I shall add London Brew to my collection to listen to as well; thank you!! 😊
I have the 2014 MFSL SACD that I really liked. I did not have the 2018 Japan SACD release yet, but am now comparing them .. Great recommendation from you :)

May 5, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #1,210 of 1,841
Today I finding a more quick, but still not ideal, way of comparing aptX HD (using the BT-W5) with AAC. I must admitting is difficult finding a real difference between the two. Apple's implementation of AAC is really excellent. I will doing more testing, but I'm right now 80% sure I will returning the BT-W5.

So, today I deciding finally that I'm sending back the Creative BT-W5.

The main reason is that, isn't matter how much I comparing both aptX HD and ACC (with iPhone 14 Pro and 16" MacBook Pro), I don't hearing real improvement in sound quality with aptX HD. The second aspect is volume. Even when volume becoming very more loud with the BTW5 (similar like the Sennheiser BTD600), something I'm sure that some people will liking very much, for me the volume jumps from one step to other can be uncomfortable (too loud / too quiet). So, with Apple devices, at least, and for me personally, volume steps are very better with direct connection to BT. I still wishing that T+A doubling the 16 steps of Apple devices to 30-32 (like Sony, Bose or B&W doing) because I'm very sensitive to small volume changes, but in factory form the ST is still very acceptable with my devices.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #1,211 of 1,841
So, today I deciding finally that I'm sending back the Creative BT-W5.

The main reason is that, isn't matter how much I comparing both aptX HD and ACC (with iPhone 14 Pro and 16" MacBook Pro), I don't hearing real improvement in sound quality with aptX HD. The second aspect is volume. Even when volume becoming very more loud with the BTW5 (similar like the Sennheiser BTD600), something I'm sure that some people will liking very much, for me the volume jumps from one step to other can be uncomfortable (too loud / too quiet). So, with Apple devices, at least, and for me personally, volume steps are very better with direct connection to BT. I still wishing that T+A doubling the 16 steps of Apple devices to 30-32 (like Sony, Bose or B&W doing) because I'm very sensitive to small volume changes, but in factory form the ST is still very acceptable with my devices.
Thank you for the feedback.

I am more interested in either FiiO BTR5 (2021 Edition) or BTR7 (and specifically the white variant 😉), as these are powerful DAC/amp's and up-to-date Bluetooth spec.
The BTR5 (2021) has single-ended 3.5mm and balanced 2.5mm output, so though cheaper I would need an adapter or new cable.
The BTR7 has single-ended 3.5mm and balanced 4.44mm output, and is significantly more powerful than the BTR5.

To me, as there is no other powerful and feature rich DAC/amp's with latest Bluetooth spec, BTR7 and BTR5 (2021) are stand-alone flagships (*Edit: within the realms of small portable DAC/amp's!).
Great that you can use them in wireless Bluetooth or connected to another device (portable OTG or USB DAC)!

However, I am ok with the slightly lesser aptX on my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra as an ultra-portable setup with my T+A Solitaire T, from grocery shopping or general commute.
Otherwise, if I am sitting down at home or in the office, my mighty M17 in full balanced mode is sufficient!
However, I have used the M17 as Bluetooth output via LDAC or AptX HD when I am at home but moving around my room or tidying around the house or in the garden, etc, with my Solitaire T!

Still, the BTR7 is a very attractive device, and I have been very good at not ordering one, but I get weaker everyday....💸

*Edit: Yes, I am aware of much, much larger battery-powered DAC/amps with Bluetooth support and SE/balanced output that can also be transported, and the most powerful of those currently is the FiiO Q7: a baby version of the M17 but stripped of Android and big screen, and with only one ESS Sabre ES9038PRO DAC chip (M17 has two). The 2x THX788+ amps remain, as does most of the specs.
Even so, I am not including this or similar devices like it as they are more transportable desktop units, and massive. BTR5 and BTR7 are in the realms of general portability. If we take out Bluetooth support, there are a megatonne of portable DAC/amps that are impossible to list here.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #1,212 of 1,841
Hello t+a family.

An update from my side. I got the headphones yesterday and they been sitting in my living room unopened. I couldn't wait until Wednesday to get the demo unit so I went to Audio Sanctuary to demo them. They had the white pair, gorgeous looking.

I managed to try them for a few minutes on Bluetooth only. Can't comment on the sound as it was only briefly, due to below.

The biggest problem I had was the size. They are so small for me and they sit weird on my head. The cups sit on an angle more towards the back and I could not find a proper position. It felt like I was struggling to get a good seal. The cups were comfortable nevertheless.

Sadly, I will return the solitaire t. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #1,213 of 1,841
May 8, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #1,214 of 1,841
New review of the T+A Solitaire T by Future Audiophile.

Said review was with a the black/silver version and almost solely in Bluetooth HQ mode.

Enjoy!

For me this comment from the 'review' is completely ridiculous: "While the Px8s measure far better than the lower priced Bowers & Wilkins Px7s, they are more like the T+As in terms of total bass (meaning controlled but not overly bassy) which is good." Wrong. The bass of the B&W PX8 is, in fact, bloated and sometimes boomy, always affecting the midrange, and is completely different from the very accurate, tight and clean bass of the ST.

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #1,215 of 1,841
For me this comment from the 'review' is completely ridiculous: "While the Px8s measure far better than the lower priced Bowers & Wilkins Px7s, they are more like the T+As in terms of total bass (meaning controlled but not overly bassy) which is good." Wrong. The bass of the B&W PX8 is, in fact, bloated and sometimes boomy, always affecting the midrange, and is completely different from the very accurate, tight and clean bass of the ST.
Although we may all agree or disagree on points of difference, I do not exactly disagree with the reviewer's experience on this specific point, despite the fact that I do not agree with them (and thus I agree with you @angelom).

How can that be?

That is due to how we all perceive music, so for them, if they perceived the PX8 bass as balanced, and as they mentioned other headphones to show context, then though I disagree with that point, I still respect their opinion in what they are hearing.
However, I do not think that the B&W PX8 has balanced bass, whereas the Sony WH-1000XM5 is more balanced than the PX8 in my opinion.
Yet, outside of this outlier, much of what the reviewer experienced with the Solitaire T is close to my own experiences.

Recently, I had an almost religious moment listening to Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath (2012, SACD, JP Sanctuary UIGY-9094) and Machine Head by Deep Purple (2001, SACD, JP WPCR 14166) (both albums are SACD's in DSD64 format) via the T+A Solitaire T and FiiO M17 balanced. On these recordings, the bass response was near PERFECT, with immense detail of the drumplay and screeching guitar riffs, whilst the vocals had me in goosebumps on realism!
However, on hotter recordings or some modern RnB music, such as Renaissance by Beyoncé (2003, 24 bit/44.1 kHz, Parkwood Entertainment), which is closer more RnB mixed with disco and ballroom, the bass response via the Solitaire T is just slightly lower than what I wish for, and here a few dB increase on sub-bass and bass (but not upper-bass) would satisfy my cravings.
Even so, bass from tracks such as the track Slow Me Down from the album Path of the Planes by Soara (2011) (Spotify, Tidal, YouTube Music) has incredible bass depth and grip that the Solitaire T execute masterfully.

I think this is where I should employ my Meze Audio 99 Classics in balanced on recordings where I want a bit more bass fun, but those are fewer than my want to experience music via the T+A Solitaire T!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back