T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
May 10, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #886 of 3,178
it is made by my friend in aluminum workshop, follow required dimension.
Oh, that's why is looks to be a so perfect match. Maybe your friend can make a small business shipping such tailor made rack for the HA200.

May 11, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #890 of 3,178
I have some Hart Audio modular (mini XLR system) Sennheiser HD800 cables coming next week. I'll report back on whether they fit into the Solitaires.
I am reporting on my attempt to use a 3rd party Sennheiser cable from Hart Audio with the Solitaire P. The problem is trying to insert the connectors into the deep Solitaire P cup chambers. I tried various ways to get them in, but I finally used heated shrink tubing with a long piece of hard plastic in the tube for gripping. Once the cable was inserted and firmly connected, I cut the tubing away. These cables are not coming out! Since they are modular, I can change output connections to the HA200 or any other amplifier without removing the cables from the cups. I realize this is an inelegant hack, but the stock cables were just too long. The cables are firmly seated now and they sound fine. I also received an adapter to go from 4.4 Pentaconn out to dual 3 pin XLR in allowing the HA200 to be used as a preamp. I tried this connecting the HA200 to a Burson Soloist 3XP. It seemed to me that the HA200 doesn’t quite do the Susvaras justice, so I wanted to use the DAC in the HA200 with the Burson. I set the HA200 to near max volume then made adjustments as needed using the volume on the Burson. This is not the T+A sanctioned cable, but it worked fine. I did this as more of an experiment as I use the Susvaras less and less since acquiring the Solitaire P phones.

May 12, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #891 of 3,178
I use the Susvaras less and less since acquiring the Solitaire P phones.
Both we and the Susvara fans would be very interested in hearing your thoughts for P vs Susvara. There are still too few people that have tried both.

May 12, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #892 of 3,178
I am fortunate to own both the susvara and P and I may still prefer the susvara ever so slightly, time will tell!

I intentionally did not use my susvara at ALL when I had a demo P. I didn't want to do a constant A/B between them and ultimatly thought the P were so good that they were worth buying. I now go back and forth between these 2 great HP and I could easily live with either.
The P goes deeper in bass and still has great detail and clarity. The susvara is lighter and more comfortable.

May 12, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #895 of 3,178
Both we and the Susvara fans would be very interested in hearing your thoughts for P vs Susvara. There are still too few people that have tried both.
I did some detailed listening between the Solitaire P and the Susvara. I also tried to factor in the contributions of the HA200 and Burson Soloist 3xp. I have no technical basis for my options, but it appears that the Solitaire is by far at its best connected to the HA200. Here, the bass in particular, was tight, deep and controlled. On the Burson, the overall sound was still quite good, but not as crisp and defined as on the HA200. Also, I discovered that the Solitaire P takes EQ and tone controls very well. The darker, more lush tonality of the Solitaire P can be effectively moderated by small increases in the treble, or a slight reduction in the bass. For dense orchestral, string heavy music, raising the treble through EQ or tone controls really makes a difference. Whatever it is the HA200 is doing, it is very apparent that it elevates the Solitaire P. It adds a polish and control that isn’t there on the Burson.

The Susvara, on the other hand, is brilliant at having an almost perfect timbre and sound quality without any need for EQ. Orchestral strings sound natural and clear. With enough power, the bass is very present on the Susvara. There is no harshness anywhere from top to bottom. However, without a decent amount of power and headroom, the Susvara can sound thin. Unfortunately, the HA200 will play the Susvara loud enough, but just not with adequate fullness which I assume is only possible with more power.

Both headphones are TOTL in every way. For me, the edge goes to the Solitaire P because it presents (with the HA200) a fuller, richer sound in the classical music I listen to. Also, the P can be EQ’d to lighten their darker sound when the music calls for it, making them very flexible. Listening to a string quartet on the Susvara, however, is wonderful in that every way. Instruments sound natural and the highs of violins will sound sweet and never harsh. I will always keep both. Depending on the recording quality, I will use one or the other. The HA200 is magic for the Solitaire P and the Burson is more than powerful enough for the Susvara. Finally, the Solitaire P (with the HA200) presents a bigger, more holographic image. I can’t say how it does it, but the imaging, along with all the other reasons stated above, is why I rank the Solitaire P ahead of the Susvara.

May 12, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #896 of 3,178
the Burson is more than powerful enough for the Susvara

Thanks for the comparison as I‘m also looking at the P to one day compliment my Susvara. However, I’d suggest that you try Susvara with either a speaker amp, or an amp with high current. I previously used the Soloist 3XP to drive Susvara, and while it did a decent job, it’s not even close to Bakoon amp which I’m using now.

May 12, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #897 of 3,178
Thanks for the comparison as I‘m also looking at the P to one day compliment my Susvara. However, I’d suggest that you try Susvara with either a speaker amp, or an amp with high current. I previously used the Soloist 3XP to drive Susvara, and while it did a decent job, it’s not even close to Bakoon amp which I’m using now.
Therein lies the problem with the Susvaras. You are always wondering if you are driving them with enough power. The beauty of the Solitaire P/ HA200 combination is that you really don’t need anything else. All the headphones I own work fine with the HA200, except for the Susvara.

I have a Schiit Ragnarock 2 (stored in a closet) that puts out 15 watts at 50 ohms for headphones and it is a 100 watt speaker amp, but it is huge, heavy and for me it’s too cumbersome to use just for the Susvara. I may pull it out to remind myself how the Susvaras sound with this much power, and test out the Solitaire P on this amp as well. I had forgotten that I have the Ragnarock until I read your post.

May 12, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #898 of 3,178
I did some detailed listening between the Solitaire P and the Susvara. I also tried to factor in the contributions of the HA200 and Burson Soloist 3xp. I have no technical basis for my options, but it appears that the Solitaire is by far at its best connected to the HA200. Here, the bass in particular, was tight, deep and controlled. On the Burson, the overall sound was still quite good, but not as crisp and defined as on the HA200. Also, I discovered that the Solitaire P takes EQ and tone controls very well. The darker, more lush tonality of the Solitaire P can be effectively moderated by small increases in the treble, or a slight reduction in the bass. For dense orchestral, string heavy music, raising the treble through EQ or tone controls really makes a difference. Whatever it is the HA200 is doing, it is very apparent that it elevates the Solitaire P. It adds a polish and control that isn’t there on the Burson.

The Susvara, on the other hand, is brilliant at having an almost perfect timbre and sound quality without any need for EQ. Orchestral strings sound natural and clear. With enough power, the bass is very present on the Susvara. There is no harshness anywhere from top to bottom. However, without a decent amount of power and headroom, the Susvara can sound thin. Unfortunately, the HA200 will play the Susvara loud enough, but just not with adequate fullness which I assume is only possible with more power.

Both headphones are TOTL in every way. For me, the edge goes to the Solitaire P because it presents (with the HA200) a fuller, richer sound in the classical music I listen to. Also, the P can be EQ’d to lighten their darker sound when the music calls for it, making them very flexible. Listening to a string quartet on the Susvara, however, is wonderful in that every way. Instruments sound natural and the highs of violins will sound sweet and never harsh. I will always keep both. Depending on the recording quality, I will use one or the other. The HA200 is magic for the Solitaire P and the Burson is more than powerful enough for the Susvara. Finally, the Solitaire P (with the HA200) presents a bigger, more holographic image. I can’t say how it does it, but the imaging, along with all the other reasons stated above, is why I rank the Solitaire P ahead of the Susvara.

Well that's interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

My blind purchase/leap of faith - Solitaire P/HA200 - sounds awesome to my inexperienced ears but I have nothing that comes close to compare them to.

My alternative was going to be the Susvara and the Cayin HA-300.

Going by recent warranty issue posts in the Cayin HA-300 thread I think I made the right choice...

May 12, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #899 of 3,178

I actually bought the HA200 before Solitaire P and it was a love at first hearing, that I stopped auditioning anything else and went for it. I don't know if it is the DAC or the amp or both (possibly), how each single subtle move comes out of dark, so clean and detailed from bowed instruments to an electric bass - is just fantastic. Also as you mention, the tone adjustments, although very simple, work very well. I sometimes set the bass to -2dB or set the treble to +2 depending on the recording or the mood I am in.

I am happy that we don't read impressions anymore for Solitaire P, like "I tested it with my SP2000 and it sucked."

May 12, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #900 of 3,178
I can only add that the Solitaire P is also amazing with Tube amps.
Glorious pairing with my Octave V16.

At some point my Speakertap adapter will arrive, then I can give impressions on how it sounds from the T+A PA2000R Speaker amp.

Really good to see that there are others that prefer the Solitaire P to the Susvara as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back