T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
May 6, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #871 of 3,205
I have some Hart Audio modular (mini XLR system) Sennheiser HD800 cables coming next week. I'll report back on whether they fit into the Solitaires. I have another question re: the HA200. I am finding that the tone controls are excellent, so much so that I don't do any EQ when the Solitaire Ps are plugged in. A few slight adjustments to the treble are all I have ever needed to do. I only listen to classical - lot's of chamber music and symphonic- and the HA200/Solitaire P combination is astonishingly satisfying. My Susvara pair are not getting much use these days. My question is does anyone use the loudness function? If it is turned on, does it disengage if the system volume is increased beyond a certain point? What happens if loudness and tone controls are active at the same time?
I use it in my T+A PA2000R, I'm sure thst they are pretty Similar.
Whwb both are active the effects stack.
The impact of the effect gradually changes and I never turned so loud thst it completely lost it's effect.

May 6, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #872 of 3,205
I returned the demo T+A, P and opened my new P tonight. I was pleasantly surprised to hear how good the P sounded with no time on the clock! I knew the demo P were broken in and I expected to be underwhelmed with my new pair, but this was not the case.
I'm sure they will improve with more time, but they already sound fantastic!

I think with the P and the susvara I don't need any other headphones.
The P was exactly what I was looking for!!!

May 6, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #873 of 3,205
I returned the demo T+A, P and opened my new P tonight. I was pleasantly surprised to hear how good the P sounded with no time on the clock! I knew the demo P were broken in and I expected to be underwhelmed with my new pair, but this was not the case.
I'm sure they will improve with more time, but they already sound fantastic!

I think with the P and the susvara I don't need any other headphones.
The P was exactly what I was looking for!!!
Looking forward to your comparisons

May 6, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #874 of 3,205
My question is does anyone use the loudness function? If it is turned on, does it disengage if the system volume is increased beyond a certain point? What happens if loudness and tone controls are active at the same time?
I also use the loudness, though it is not clearly stated, I would expect it to be volume dependent, but how it is regulated I don't know. At normal listening levels (at -40) its effect can be very clearly heard. In the end, it is a kind of (volume dependent) EQ / and can be used together with other tone adjustments. Just like the RME DAC you have.

EDIT: Found my post for the RME loudness:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/t-a-solitaire-p-planar-magnetostatic.924381/page-50#post-16253247

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #875 of 3,205
It's good that you have some of the heat-shrink tubing extending out of the T+A P headphone channel to more easily seat and remove the HD800 connectors from the hp! Any special wire used in this cable?

No special wire, just the heat shrink.

Although the connectors that @doctorjuggles used to build my cables are a tiny bit tighter than the stock connectors so they need an extra push/pull.

It's so good to be detached from my desktop with some sensible shorter cables.

My mojo drives these very well...

Wonderful stuff

May 7, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #876 of 3,205
The review of the Solitaire P-SE from the German HiFi-Magazine Stereo 4/2021 (pg. 30-33) is available as print as well as e-paper - Stereo.de , United Kiosk .
The review of the Solitaire P-SE from the German HiFi-Magazine Stereo 4/2021 can now also be found for free on the German site of Qobuz.com .

The Stereo Magazine gave the rankings: T+A Solitaire P 100%, then 4-times 98% each for Final D 8000, Focal Utopia, Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD-4, 97% for the T+A Solitaire P-SE and 93% for the closed-back Focal Stellia as well as 90% for the closed-back Sennheiser HD 820. The Sennheiser HD 800 S ranks 89% and the HD 800 88%.

On May 7, 2021 Sennheiser officially announced that they will sell their entire Consumer business (incl. Headphones) to the Swiss company Sonova - Sennheiser-News .

So it's nice to have T+A now as an alternative in the Headphones business and it's good to know that the T+A's products are top-notch.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #877 of 3,205
Portable kit?

IMG_20210508_140642.jpg
IMG_20210508_140554.jpg

May 8, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #879 of 3,205
Any aftermarket cables possibly happening in the future?

May 8, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #880 of 3,205
I tried so many Pelican, Seahorse and Nanuk plastic cases for the P from Amazon that I got a 'Bad Boy' email from them for too many returns! I ended up with this slightly larger Pelican iM2200. I didn't think the 1400 was was big enough but your P fits fine!!! I am using the case for daily storage while rotating between the P and susvara. I use the smaller iM2100 for the susvara.

Ah, now I see why I didn't keep the smaller cases. I wanted more space between the ear cups and this size Pelican allowed that.

IMG_1743.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #883 of 3,205
May 9, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #884 of 3,205
I tried so many Pelican, Seahorse and Nanuk plastic cases for the P from Amazon that I got a 'Bad Boy' email from them for too many returns! I ended up with this slightly larger Pelican iM2200. I didn't think the 1400 was was big enough but your P fits fine!!! I am using the case for daily storage while rotating between the P and susvara. I use the smaller iM2100 for the susvara.

Ah, now I see why I didn't keep the smaller cases. I wanted more space between the ear cups and this size Pelican allowed that.

IMG_1743.jpg

My case is deep, so i can rotate the cups sideways so that they don't touch if i want to.
IMG_20210509_151931.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back