T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
May 15, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #916 of 3,204
ah USA they have to finish their route of course they make $36 reg and time and half after 8 hours.

May 17, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #917 of 3,204
So I changed the Pads of the Solitaire P for the First Time today.
The change process is nowhere near as easy as on the Empyrean.
T+A has an instruction Video online which makes it look really easy, however I was struggling quite a bit until I got the hang of it. Maybe I just suck at things like that 🤔

Time for a listening Session and some impressions later.

May 17, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #918 of 3,204
Btw guys, please Name some of your favourite music centered about Bass guitars.

I currently listen to a lot like this, and the Solitaire P makes it sound simply amazing.

May 17, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #919 of 3,204

I currently listen to a lot like this, and the Solitaire P makes it sound simply amazing.

You might enjoy some of Victor Wootens stuff. Certainly one of the best bass players ever (imo and whatnot.)

May 17, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #920 of 3,204
You might enjoy some of Victor Wootens stuff. Certainly one of the best bass players ever (imo and whatnot.)
Thank you, I will check it out.

May 17, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #921 of 3,204

Primus and Rush? 🤷‍♂️

Them Crooked Vultures is a supergroup with John Paul Jones, Josh Homme and David Grohl. It’s got great bass and guitar work :L3000:

By the way, still waiting for my Solitaire P to ship. It’s been months since I bought them (as in: months, plural) :rolling_eyes::deadhorse:

May 18, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #923 of 3,204
that is crazy,a couple of weeks is tolerable...a couple of months is ridiculous...they will have a new model out by the time you receive it:beyersmile:

May 18, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #924 of 3,204
Primus and Rush? 🤷‍♂️

Them Crooked Vultures is a supergroup with John Paul Jones, Josh Homme and David Grohl. It’s got great bass and guitar work :L3000:

By the way, still waiting for my Solitaire P to ship. It’s been months since I bought them (as in: months, plural) :rolling_eyes::deadhorse:
Thx for the recommendation.
It sucks that you have to wait so long until you can enjoy yours

May 18, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #925 of 3,204
Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #926 of 3,204
So time for the listening impressions for the ultra wide pads.

The sound is more V shaped with those and has noteably more energy up top.
Mids are recessed compared to the stock pads.
It feels less coherent to me now, but I considered the stock tonality as ideal, so I am not the target Group for the pads anyways.
Depending on the music I now turn the volume up until mids feel the same, which makes the treble more fatiguing.

Even though the Name might suggest it, soundstage stays the same and doesn't widen.
The physical size of them is also identical which makes me curious why they are named like this.

After listening to them I also dug up what T+A has to say about them.
According to the manufacturer the frequencies between 450 and 2500Hz are recessed by 2 db while everything above 2500Hz is increased by 1db.
The subbass suffered also a 1 db loss.

This alignes with my impressions of a more V-shaped sound. Since I tend to increase the volume slightly it doesn't really feel like a subbass loss.

Tl,dr: If you like a more V shaped sound especially with some more Treble energy, give them a try

May 22, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #927 of 3,204
I wrote to T+A asking if they were going to come out with a shorter cable for the Solitaire P since they have a short cable for the P-SE. They did not respond. This surprises and disappoints me. I don't know what their reputation is in Germany, but it seems to me they should be very responsive to customers who have paid such a premium for their products. I bought a stock Sennheisser HD800 off Ebay last week, and although it is still a very long cable, the stock Sennheiser cable fits easily into the SOLITAIRE P cups. Sennheisser apparently does not make a shorter cable for their HD8xx headphones or I would have purchased one of theirs! I wonder if Sennheiser actually makes the cables for T+A? I just don't understand the thinking around making only 3 meter cables and not responding to customers.

May 22, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #928 of 3,204
I wrote to T+A asking if they were going to come out with a shorter cable for the Solitaire P since they have a short cable for the P-SE. They did not respond. This surprises and disappoints me. I don't know what their reputation is in Germany, but it seems to me they should be very responsive to customers who have paid such a premium for their products. I bought a stock Sennheisser HD800 off Ebay last week, and although it is still a very long cable, the stock Sennheiser cable fits easily into the SOLITAIRE P cups. Sennheisser apparently does not make a shorter cable for their HD8xx headphones or I would have purchased one of theirs! I wonder if Sennheiser actually makes the cables for T+A? I just don't understand the thinking around making only 3 meter cables and not responding to customers.
I agree! The P is not an inexpensive piece of audio gear. I am a huge fan but the 3 meters is 1- 2 meters too long for me.

May 22, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #929 of 3,204
I do recall someone asking T+A the same or similar about the shorter cable and their response was that their main customer base for the P preferred long or longer cables, possibly from their Hi-fi customers. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

May 23, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #930 of 3,204
I wrote to T+A asking if they were going to come out with a shorter cable for the Solitaire P since they have a short cable for the P-SE. They did not respond. This surprises and disappoints me. I don't know what their reputation is in Germany, but it seems to me they should be very responsive to customers who have paid such a premium for their products.
I have emailed and PM'd T+A a lot over the past 3 years since buying one of their products and they've always gotten back to me. Most of the time it's within 2-3 days, then some others it's taken a week.

It's definitely not the tippy top of customer service response time, but I've always gotten very high quality answers to sometimes very technical and non-standard questions. For my needs, I haven't had a problem with that trade off, but that's just for my case.

Maybe fire them another email and fill in a link to this thread where that issue is being discussed more? Anyway, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back