T+A HiFi - DAC 200 - Official Discussion Thread
May 1, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #61 of 497
Perhaps my view is coloured by the fact I have an MP200 and can update it and connected components in the future with added or improved functionality to the streaming or APP services.
I have no insight as to why T+A chose not to include a standalone user update method within the DAC200, but I can speculate that perhaps including such interfaces may lead to raising the noise floor.
T+A has based its entire ecosystem on updates through Ethernet. In the case of the standalone DAC 200, it gets lost in the mix.

May 2, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #62 of 497
T+A has based its entire ecosystem on updates through Ethernet. In the case of the standalone DAC 200, it gets lost in the mix.
To see User manual,Page 45,Chapter 4 "Ctrl",right?

May 10, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #64 of 497
Long list of Dac on my wish list ... the T+A DAC200 is top my list ... so is it as good as people say it is???
What amp do you want to use?
The Ha200 has the same DAC but additionally some EQ and crossfeed features on top.

So for headphones I consider the Ha200 superior.

The only problem is, that it can only be used as preamp via the headphone outs at the front

If the DAC itself sounds anything like my T+A MP2000R, then I can assure you, it's glorious

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #65 of 497
What amp do you want to use?
The Ha200 has the same DAC but additionally some EQ and crossfeed features on top.

So for headphones I consider the Ha200 superior.

The only problem is, that it can only be used as preamp via the headphone outs at the front

If the DAC itself sounds anything like my T+A MP2000R, then I can assure you, it's glorious
i mostly use speakers (Spendor sp100r2) and a Grandinote Shinai amplifier ... for headphones i use my ifi iDSD signature and i'm happy with that. so i'm really interested in the DAC part. I would be connecting it to a Lumin D2 streamer (it has an integrated DAC, and obviously i am looking for a significant improvement)

May 10, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #66 of 497
Long list of Dac on my wish list ... the T+A DAC200 is top my list ... so is it as good as people say it is???
I have a new DAC 200 shipment waiting to clear customs right now. I'm hoping some people on here will eventually give it a try and share their impressions.

May 12, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #67 of 497
Is it correct that no one on this forum has directly compared the T&A 8 DAC with the 200 version?

Do any T&A owners have experience using the 8 or 200 DAC specifically for headphones (not stereo)?

I demoed the T&A 200 DAC with a pair of Stax headphones (no speakers) in comparison with my RME ADI-2 DAC, and across several comparisons, I couldn't hear a difference. I'm trying to figure out if I missed something...and, if I did miss something, can that "something" be found in the 8 DAC just as well as with the 200 DAC.

May 20, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #69 of 497
I do not regret selling the Dave - the T+A dac has, to me, a more engaging, tonally varied and dynamic sound which draws me into the music, allows me to listen deep into the soundstage and follow the work of individual musicians even if their contribution is buried in the mix. Dave offered many of these attributes, but it always sounded like a Dave, as thought there was a specific tonal sheen over the sound, which I do not hear with the Dac200 - it sounds more varied, more fluid. Detail retrieval via Raal SR1a or Abyss 1266 TC is everything I could wish for.
The ”tonal sheen” is a great way to put it. Having used several different Chord DAC’s, with and without MScaler, this is the first time anyone has put into words my experience with them so accurately :thumbsup:

The DAC 200 seems impressive and it’s on my very, very short list of DAC’s I’d like to audition.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #70 of 497
I was in the T+A Room today at the munich high end.

This is their new all in one device in the R Series.
The R2500 R
20230520_161612.jpg

Essentially the two bottom devices of this stack in one chassis with some further adjustments. (That's the stuff I have in my setup)
20230520_161618.jpg

It's also available in black, and I'm glad that the Vmeters have lightingin the same color as the display.
20230520_164241.jpg

Unfortunately the rep couldnt answer by technical questions regarding the differences to the old gear, since the menu had a few new functions like "bandwith" settings and a second DSD Decoder setting (named DSD2)
The loudness function has more steps now, but I'm not sure wether the Max settings changed.

The best part is, the new streaming Module G3 will be available as upgrade for my MP2000R for as little as 600€
Which Puts it at a way lower price than expected.
It's nice to see an 8 year old Device receive Updates in Form of a new streaming Board, and that at a fair price.
Gives me confidence in purchasing T+A products.

On top they had the internals of the DAC200 visible
20230520_161752.jpg
20230520_161756.jpg

Attachments

• 20230520_164238.jpg
    20230520_164238.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #71 of 497
Reading this, rather short, thread has got me thinking. In the Gustard X18 thread I wrote this::

The best DAC I’ve heard, and my current favorite, is the MSB Premier DAC with the Premier Digital Director. The Gustard X18 has ALL the same qualities as that setup albeit to a slightly lesser degree (in my system).

Edit: The MSB combo is about €45000 and to make it comparable the Gustard X18 + galvanic isolator + computer in my system is about €2500. Apples to apples 😃
And then later:

Some of these ”Chinese DAC’s” are like the Rega Planars of yesteryear. Giant killers!!! Looking at the hardware design and performance I believe that they are now at least on par with for example Chord DAC’s. (I’ve used all modern Chord’s except Mojo2). The weakness… are the software (filters). IF you run them in ”NOS mode” and instead implement filtering on a connected computer they are truly amazing.

My problem with some of the most expensive brands is getting stuck in their ecosystem and with their choice of algorithms (and ”sound”). It looks like T+A has created a DAC that fits perfectly into a world were a modern offering combines great hardware AND software into an excellent product. That product also includes the option of upsampling from an external unit using either PCM or DSD.

BRAVO!

P.S. Very much looking forward to auditioning it sometime in the future. The days of buying DAC’s without listening first is over :smile:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #73 of 497
... quick first impressions. Disclaimer: This is the most expensive DAC I've had in my system so far. It is a try-out from a local dealer.
My main DAC is the Denafrips Venus II, I also have an RME ADI 2 DAC fs.

Quick take on the T+A DAC 200, in contrast to the Venus. The DAC is hooked via XLR (Chord Shawline) to a Moon 340 integrated; output is done via ATC SCM40 and 2x Rel T7x. Mostly streaming FLAC via Qobuz, plus some red book rips and very few DSDs (e.g. PS Audio's setup disc).

First impressions of the DAC 200:
* Wow
* Super-detailed, without being fatiguing
* tight and fast bass
* nice layering, deep and wide sound stage
* the beat-to-death phrase of "you can hear very deep into the music" comes to mind
* is equally happy with either USB or Coax from my Auralic Aries (the 2015 "pagoda" version)
* the four filters have clearly distinguishable sound signatures
* look&feel is excellent
* a little annoying: whenever the input format changes (sampling rate), same relays switch ("click click") and sound is muted for the fraction of a second.

More to come.

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #74 of 497
... quick first impressions. Disclaimer: This is the most expensive DAC I've had in my system so far. It is a try-out from a local dealer.
My main DAC is the Denafrips Venus II, I also have an RME ADI 2 DAC fs.

Quick take on the T+A DAC 200, in contrast to the Venus. The DAC is hooked via XLR (Chord Shawline) to a Moon 340 integrated; output is done via ATC SCM40 and 2x Rel T7x. Mostly streaming FLAC via Qobuz, plus some red book rips and very few DSDs (e.g. PS Audio's setup disc).

First impressions of the DAC 200:
* Wow
* Super-detailed, without being fatiguing
* tight and fast bass
* nice layering, deep and wide sound stage
* the beat-to-death phrase of "you can hear very deep into the music" comes to mind
* is equally happy with either USB or Coax from my Auralic Aries (the 2015 "pagoda" version)
* the four filters have clearly distinguishable sound signatures
* look&feel is excellent
* a little annoying: whenever the input format changes (sampling rate), same relays switch ("click click") and sound is muted for the fraction of a second.

More to come.
What's your favourite Filter?
Mine is Bezier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back