T+A HiFi - DAC 200 - Official Discussion Thread
Apr 19, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #16 of 482
Looking forward to your thoughts, especially in comparison to the Dave. I'm interested to hear how this dac could perform with PGGB/PCM and HQPlayer at DSD256/512. Incidentally how will you be connecting and streaming to the Dac 200?
Exactly like that - Using HQPlayer (via NAA) as playback software with PGGB 16fs upsampled pcm or with HQPlayer doing its DSD thing@512.

Dac should be here tomorrow.

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #18 of 482
I hope this is not too much of a silly question, but...
I do not exactly understand the main difference between:
- T+A DAC 200 and
- T+A HA 200

I mean, the T+A DAC 200 does already include a full Headphone Amp ? Right ?

Thank you
Both models use the same DAC circuit and enclosure. The HA has a 10-watt headphone amp with 4-pin XLR and 1/4" jacks in addition to the 4.4 jack on both (the DAC 200 headphone amp is 200ma). The HA 200 also has a few other menu options like crossfeed. The DAC 200 has RCA and XLR jacks on the rear for 2-channel stereo output, while with the HA 200 you will need to use a 4-pin XLR to RCA or XLR interconnect from the front jack (T+A offers this cable as an option).

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #19 of 482
'i believe' the DAC 200 lacks the EQ, loudness and crossfeed functionality of the HA 200

The HA200 does not have dedicated pre-out - have to use a conversion cable on the headphone 4 pin XLR

The DAC 200 has dedicated balanced and single ended analogue outputs

Both have separate DACs for PCM and DSD and can be fitted with HDMI as an extra
Well said.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #20 of 482
Looking forward to your thoughts, especially in comparison to the Dave. I'm interested to hear how this dac could perform with PGGB/PCM and HQPlayer at DSD256/512. Incidentally how will you be connecting and streaming to the Dac 200?
Does it upsample internally? Have any of you heard it? How do the 8 Burr Brown converters compare to other options?
I lived with the DAVE and M Scaler in my reference system for a year and was astonished by how much more detail I heard with the DAC 200, JBH. A few of the digital filters employ upscaling but there is no manual setting of the bit/sample rate. Most people end up preferring to listen with the NOS filters anyway. You're not going to wish you had more resolution with the DAC or HA 200.

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #21 of 482
I lived with the DAVE and M Scaler in my reference system for a year and was astonished by how much more detail I heard with the DAC 200, JBH. A few of the digital filters employ upscaling but there is no manual setting of the bit/sample rate. Most people end up preferring to listen with the NOS filters anyway. You're not going to wish you had more resolution with the DAC or HA 200.
Quite the endorsement. Thanks.

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #22 of 482
I've only had a chance to listen to a couple of albums (Talking Hands by Acoustic Mania which is often one of the first I audition with because on a so so system it sounds dull and frankly uninteresting, and Divers by Al di Meola, Paco de Lucia & John McLaughlin because it's superbly recorded with great space and detail). I am playing these through the internal Bezier2 filter from basic flac files, using HQplayer in "passthrough" just to get the music from the server to the NAA that the Dac200 is connected to.

Folks, this is at least a match (conservatively) for my recently departed English dac.

More reporting in a few days when I've spent some quality time with the German, and worked my way through plenty music and the various upsampling options I have at hand. Going to be a fun weekend:)

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 482
Good evening everyone. I have both the DAC200 and the HA200, I bought them without trying them and I am very satisfied with them. The headphone amplifier part of the HA200 is remarkable, the headphone amplifier part of the DAC200 is weaker and more limited. The DAC conversion is simply perfect for both. With HA200 I use a Meze Empyrean XLR 4 pin headphone and I listen only to electronic music.
Special hello to JaguarAudio who started the thread.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #24 of 482
Good evening everyone. I have both the DAC200 and the HA200, I bought them without trying them and I am very satisfied with them. The headphone amplifier part of the HA200 is remarkable, the headphone amplifier part of the HA200 is weaker and more limited. The DAC conversion is simply perfect for both. With HA200 I use a Meze Empyrean XLR 4 pin headphone and I listen only to electronic music.

Why both out of curiosity? Surely it would have been better to just buy the DAC200 and a dedicated headphone amp?

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #25 of 482
Good evening everyone. I have both the DAC200 and the HA200, I bought them without trying them and I am very satisfied with them. The headphone amplifier part of the HA200 is remarkable, the headphone amplifier part of the HA200 is weaker and more limited. The DAC conversion is simply perfect for both. With HA200 I use a Meze Empyrean XLR 4 pin headphone and I listen only to electronic music.
In the middle of your post, I guess you meant DAC 200 instead of HA. Right ?

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #26 of 482
Why both out of curiosity? Surely it would have been better to just buy the DAC200 and a dedicated headphone amp?
I preferred to have 2 separate units, the DAC 200 connected to the speakers and the HA200 just for the headphones.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #27 of 482
Apr 25, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #28 of 482
Amazing devices.
Hopefully we will see a Ha2000R at some point

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #29 of 482
Interesting device, I found a lightly used DAC200 + MP200 to connect to a system I'm setting up in another room.
It only arrived today, but I've had a few hours of "discovery mode". My initial impressions are hopeful, I can hear a nice improvement, but the room is not setup yet.
4.4 Pentacon will give me another point to plug in to, but haven't tested it yet.

App seems a bit clunky sometimes, running it on a recent iPad Pro. Roon implementation done through direct usb, core to dac. It bypasses the MP200. It gives more options with upscaling on core or dac. MP200 has a max 192 output. Qobuz or Tidal can be accessed through the app to the MP200 or within Roon.

Mine was lightly used and light in general, seems to have the HDMI installed too, Bonus!.
Simple to setup, yes I do read manuals once, internet radio, CD and streaming all pretty straight forward and sounds promising.
Wonderful build quality, way to many lights, it'll give me something to play with when I'm board.

Not an amazing unboxing experience for the sticker price, it's functional packaging (no harm), perhaps the lack of weight in the units surprised me more.
Endgame pieces for me none the less, you can't beat the German style if you're into it, I wanted mine in black.

I'm really looking forward to discovering what this system can do and reading how others get on.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #30 of 482
Amazing devices.
Hopefully we will see a Ha2000R at some point
Good morning and thanks I'm thinking about it but there is a problem mp200 does not have an internal hard disk and I would like to have everything in one container. I have several file at least 2 Tb...

Icona di Verificata con community

Users who are viewing this thread

Back