T+A HiFi - DAC 200 - Official Discussion Thread
Apr 26, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #31 of 482
Good morning and thanks I'm thinking about it but there is a problem mp200 does not have an internal hard disk and I would like to have everything in one container. I have several file at least 2 Tb...

Icona di Verificata con community
It does work with external Hard disk though, if that is wn option for you

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #32 of 482
How to install new firmware on DAC 200.
On the support page, I see the windows drivers and how to install new windows drivers.
But I do not see where to find and install the firmware updates.
Although I see firmware updates do exist (on the support page, then software, then history).

Can you help me ?

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #33 of 482
How to install new firmware on DAC 200.
On the support page, I see the windows drivers and how to install new windows drivers.
But I do not see where to find and install the firmware updates.
Although I see firmware updates do exist (on the support page, then software, then history).

Can you help me ?
If its similar to my MP2000R, then go to the menu -> device info -> update

Under device info it shows you the currently installed Firmware and the option to reset to factory default.
On my device (which is not a DAC 200, so maybe it's completely different)there is also the option to update.

The PC drivers are only for the PC, not the Device Firmware. You don't need a PC to update the device. However the PC needs the drivers to send DSD1024

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #34 of 482
If its similar to my MP2000R, then go to the menu -> device info -> update

Under device info it shows you the currently installed Firmware and the option to reset to factory default.
On my device (which is not a DAC 200, so maybe it's completely different)there is also the option to update.

The PC drivers are only for the PC, not the Device Firmware. You don't need a PC to update the device. However the PC needs the drivers to send DSD1024
Thank you Thanatos
But I think the DAC 200 is not to be connected to the network...
So, where will DAC 200 find the firmware ?

The user manual of the DAC 200 says this :

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 12.39.46.png

So, there is no mention of firmware upgrade... That would be a huge bummer, to say it softly...

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #35 of 482
Thank you Thanatos
But I think the DAC 200 is not to be connected to the network...
So, where will DAC 200 find the firmware ?

The user manual of the DAC 200 says this :

So, there is no mention of firmware upgrade... That would be a huge bummer, to say it softly...
I think it's best to ask T+A Support directly.
Maybe it works through MP200 and the SYS-Link Interface. (It works like that for my amp for instance)

Apr 26, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #36 of 482
I updated the firmware on the MP & DAC yesterday.
It was done through the sys interface with the MP downloading and sending to the DAC.

I'm pretty sure a USB interface with a USB memory stick would be the method if one just had the DAC

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #37 of 482
I found the info about the firmware upgrade.
Currently it can only be upgraded through MP200 or by a local reseller. There are no other ways today.
Definitely not via a USB stick as expected above (unfortunately).

However, it seems T+A is working on a dedicated cable/interface that will allow the users to do it themselves.
It should have been released by March this year, but it seems they a bit delayed.
The reason why T+A is so careful about this is because a mistake might brick the DAC200.
There is a long discussion about this on the T+A DAC 200 thread at audiophilestyle.com.

Tbh, there is much more info about the T+A DAC 200 there (already 17 pages).
I would encourage everyone interested to have a look there.
Thank you anyway for all the supporting replies above ("via MP200" is actually the 'unexpected' right answer for now)

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #38 of 482
The reason why T+A is so careful about this is because a mistake might brick the DAC200.
Good Morning.
What benefits would be obtained from these updates?

Apr 27, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #40 of 482
It seems that firmware update isn’t a straightforward process. This is the reason why in the end I chose Lumin P1 (DAC 200 is one of the candidates I have on my list), the firmware update is very easy and support is just top notch. Hopefully T+A will bring additional features to simplify DAC 200 firmware update process in the future.

Apr 28, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #41 of 482
It seems that firmware update isn’t a straightforward process. This is the reason why in the end I chose Lumin P1 (DAC 200 is one of the candidates I have on my list), the firmware update is very easy and support is just top notch. Hopefully T+A will bring additional features to simplify DAC 200 firmware update process in the future.
This info from T+A about the firmware update. Not an ideal process, however, firmware for the DAC/HA 200 is not like that of a PS Audio Direct Stream; updating the firmware will have no effect on the sonic performance. The company will occasionally publish an update to change some minor thing in the menu or elsewhere but if your device is working properly, you will not need to update the firmware.

"An adapter is required to perform this update without the MP 200. The adapter cost is around $220 and you will need a windows PC to perform the update. The update can be technical, and we recommend that the dealer performs the update."

Capture2.JPG

Apr 28, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #42 of 482
I have mixed feelings about this.

To me, this is just a welcome correction of an unfortunate mistake by T&A.
I am unaware of any other high-end DAC that cannot be updated natively.

How did it even come to their mind that the solution was to buy a MP200 or to drive to a reseller that may be 100 miles/km away ?
Personally, I would never buy a MP200. Just the idea of having a mechanical disk player in my digital media chain is an aberration stuck in time.

T+A should ship the cable for free (just as for a "car recall") and offer the cable for free to new buyers.

I am not saying this just to spare 220$ (although paying to 220$ just to be able to upgrade your digital device is awkward to say the least).
But is just a hideous marketing fail.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #43 of 482
I have mixed feelings about this.

To me, this is just a welcome correction of an unfortunate mistake by T&A.
I am unaware of any other high-end DAC that cannot be updated natively.

How did it even come to their mind that the solution was to buy a MP200 or to drive to a reseller that may be 100 miles/km away ?
Personally, I would never buy a MP200. Just the idea of having a mechanical disk player in my digital media chain is an aberration stuck in time.

T+A should ship the cable for free (just as for a "car recall") and offer the cable for free to new buyers.

I am not saying this just to spare 220$ (although paying to 220$ just to be able to upgrade your digital device is awkward to say the least).
But is just a hideous marketing failure.
If the cable is not offered for free in the box, they would write in big letters on the box:

"CAUTION : THIS DEVICE CANNOT BE UPGRADED BY THE USER, BECAUSE WE ARE IN 2023, YOU KNOW".

T+A DAC 200 was on top of my list for a near term buy.
Now I have a real issue with T+A brand image about this.
The thing is, why would you need an update though?
99% of devices don't need to be updated ever.

I mean if this is a crireria for you, fine, but why?

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #44 of 482
The thing is, why would you need an update though?
99% of devices don't need to be updated ever.

I mean if this is a crireria for you, fine, but why?
Well, all respectable compagnies work on continuous improvements.
Look at Holo Audio, Chord, Denafrips, Lumin, Mola Mola, Gustard, "throw any name here"... I mean just all of them...
Except for T+A DAC 200.

Something that is not upgradable is just stuck in the past.
Computers, phones, even cars are user-upgradable now... I mean, it is 2023.

For the owners, like you might be, Thanatos, this is not protecting your resale value.
With upgrades, a 2021 remains the same as a 2023 unit.
Without upgrades, a 2021 unit remains a 2021 unit.

How obvious is it to state that user-upgradable is better than non-upgradable.
Something must have forgotten in the development phase.
Hence the production of the cable, as a clumsy afterthought.

And talking about statistics, I am pretty sure 90% of the users who can do user-upgrades do apply the upgrades (just look at the other forums... everyone upgrades).
This kind of gear is for audio-tech savvy people from the start.
I mean, who buys a $6000 DAC without being digital-minded anyway ?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #45 of 482
Well, all respectable compagnies work on continuous improvements.
Look at Holo Audio, Chord, Denafrips, Lumin, Mola Mola, Gustard, "throw any name here"... I mean just all of them...
Except for T+A DAC 200.

Something that is not upgradable is just stuck in the past.
Computers, phones, even cars are user-upgradable now... I mean, it is 2023.

For the owners, like you might be, Thanatos, this is not protecting your resale value.
With upgrades, a 2021 remains the same as a 2023 unit.
Without upgrades, a 2021 unit remains a 2021 unit.

How obvious is it to state that upgradable is better than non-upgradable.
Something must have forgotten in the development phase, hence the production of the cable.
What would you upgrade on a pure DAC though?
If it's not FPGA based there isn't anything you can do with a Software Upgrade to improve the sound.

The Media Player obviously needs the upgrade functionality to stay up to date with new streaming Services etc.
The DAC just like an amp has nothing meaningfull to upgrade via Software. (With the exception of FPGA designs)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince anyone here, I just don't see why a DAC needs Software Updates.

I'm also not defending my own investment, since my MP2000R and PA2000R are upgradeable.
However the MP is also a Server unit with access to streaming Services, which explains the need for upgrades and the PA can only be upgraded via the R2-Link Interface (similar to DAC200). The only need to ever upgrade the amp is when there is like an App upgrade, which lets me control both devices via Smartphone

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back