T+A HiFi - DAC 200 - Official Discussion Thread
Apr 28, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #46 of 497
What would you upgrade on a pure DAC though?
If it's not FPGA based there isn't anything you can do with a Software Upgrade to improve the sound.

The Media Player obviously needs the upgrade functionality to stay up to date with new streaming Services etc.
The DAC just like an amp has nothing meaningfull to upgrade via Software. (With the exception of FPGA designs)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convince anyone here, I just don't see why a DAC needs Software Updates.

I'm also not defending my own investment, since my MP2000R and PA2000R are upgradeable.
However the MP is also a Server unit with access to streaming Services, which explains the need for upgrades and the PA can only be upgraded via the R2-Link Interface (similar to DAC200). The only need to ever upgrade the amp is when there is like an App upgrade, which lets me control both devices via Smartphone

Well, here is the list of DAC-200 firmware updates till now : http://updates.ta-hifi.de/firmware/auto_download/DAC200/docs/versions_DAC200.txt

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #47 of 497
Apr 28, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #48 of 497
It seems to have been pretty stable for the past 12 months, with the exception of the improved relay switching.
The other later FW improvements relate to the improved handling of the DAC200 within the T+A APP.
So unless you have the MP200 within the system, the DAC200 is a standalone & non networked, the APP is irrelevant.

My experience with upgradable firmware in audio equipment has sometimes lead to a change in sound and not necessarily for the better.
I’ve experienced it with a few units over the years, Naim & Devialet immediately come to mind. Not exactly the result I anticipated after carefully choosing a component for its synergy within the system, only to find it no longer sounds the same.

Perhaps my view is coloured by the fact I have an MP200 and can update it and connected components in the future with added or improved functionality to the streaming or APP services.
I have no insight as to why T+A chose not to include a standalone user update method within the DAC200, but I can speculate that perhaps including such interfaces may lead to raising the noise floor. I’d hardly think it was an oversight or blunder. But T&A have proved to be proactive in this regard, options include upgrading through the dealer network, special USB to serial adapter and talk of publishing RS232 protocols.

But at some point in the not to distant future, all electronics & protocols become unsupported and eventually get superseded or complemented by a new technology generation.
In the mean time, I’ll enjoy the wonderful sound that I’m hearing from the DAC200.

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #50 of 497
Apr 30, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #51 of 497
Me too right now
I have this a few days now, it is jaw dropping and utterly insane how good the music sounds through this.
I'm very impressed so far. I prefer Roon directly connected to the DAC200 rather then through the MP200.
The APP for the MP200 is a bit clunky, Roon also handles Tidal & Qobuz so I can use it.
So in hindsight I could easily manage without the MP200.

Looking forward to more time with this.

May 1, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #52 of 497
Ten days or so into listening with the Dac200, I am very pleased with the performance of this very well put together converter. Fit and finish is exceptional at this price, layout is way nicer to interact with than my previous Dave dac and the remote control is a joy to use after the cheap plastic trashie supplied with the Chord product.

It took a few days to get the sound reproduction to really shine - Raspberry Pi as transport was OK but only that. Moving to a more fully developed pc set up with dedicated and separately powered USB card, good USB cable and so on improved the depth of sound field very well. Moving from redbook files to HQplayer @16fs pcm and 512 or 1024DSD really allowed the qaulity of the german dac to sing out. Finally upping the source files to PGGB256 pcm files with the NOS2 setting allowed me to assess the dac against the Dave I had in system for two years (with and without an Mscaler - which I sold when I moved to PGGB offline upsampling).

I do not regret selling the Dave - the T+A dac has, to me, a more engaging, tonally varied and dynamic sound which draws me into the music, allows me to listen deep into the soundstage and follow the work of individual musicians even if their contribution is buried in the mix. Dave offered many of these attributes, but it always sounded like a Dave, as thought there was a specific tonal sheen over the sound, which I do not hear with the Dac200 - it sounds more varied, more fluid. Detail retrieval via Raal SR1a or Abyss 1266 TC is everything I could wish for.

So far I have listened to albums across a nice spread of musical styles - improvisation, classical quartets, electronica, jazz groups, piano solo jazz, - Bartok, Ornette Coleman, Crow Trio, Derek Bailey (solo guitar), Kronos Quartet, Bill Evans Trio, Matthew Bourne/Nightports, Squarepusher, plenty of variety. Music I am very familiar with, all of it sounding fresh and inviting.

I will say, I started out with using the inbuilt upsampling filters and the Bezier2 option is very good - so you don't need to go to the lengths of externally crunching the numbers with HQPlayer or whatever. Just feeding from a streaming service or a cd transport will get you a fantastic sound - and then you can bypass the usb interface and feed AES into the dac and be happy.

Superb dac, big shout out to Jack@Audiobarn in the UK for shipping his demo unit to me to enjoy until my order arrives.

May 1, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #53 of 497
I have this a few days now, it is jaw dropping and utterly insane how good the music sounds through this.
I'm very impressed so far. I prefer Roon directly connected to the DAC200 rather then through the MP200.
The APP for the MP200 is a bit clunky, Roon also handles Tidal & Qobuz so I can use it.
So in hindsight I could easily manage without the MP200.

Looking forward to more time with this.
Hi, so I've been using the DAC200 since March 2022 (HA200 since June 2021) and I use an X45 Cocktail Audio as source, I don't do streaming activities but only downloads and I've never used the T+A application. Of the different DACs I own the DAC200 has the best sound. I have never downloaded any updates.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #54 of 497
Hello,

I am reposting here some comments made my user @lsantista about DAC200 (in the Holo May thread).
I am doing this with his agreement.
He also says he might have been a bit harsh here and there - so please do not be too picky.

With all precautions now taken,
I am sharing this here with you to check whether you agree with his comments about DAC200 HeadPhone Amp ?

lsantista said:
having both the spring 3 with the preamp (much needed in my first setup) and the dac200, I can say the headphone amp of the T+A is noticeably the weakest among the 5 dynamic headphone amps Ive owned. Also, it only has 4.4mm. I like very much both DACs soundwise and cant compare both as they are in different cities with different voltages, but man, wish I could have ordered the 200 without that (free, really? even if added $50 bucks I still didnt need it) HP amp.
TBH, in my opinion T+A was the one with the wrong decisions. I had to pay for that HP out and the pre I also didnt need in that case, the only option available afaik is the HDMI.. which is arc only, no I2S in spite of THREE hdmi inputs! because i2s is not a standard and blablabla. good I could order without the expensive hdmi module option, so I paid for the 200 just about the same I would have paid for a May KTE in my country (if anyone is asking why I chose it when I needed a second DAC), and from their official dealer, one I like to support

Now I know it sounds like Im bashing T+A; maybe I am in a way, sorry if it is way less popular and the 200 doesnt have its own thread, so Im writting on the May thread. I even dislike its design choices, the presence of the VU meters appear silly to me, and the overall design doesnt strike me as hiend looking (maybe it wasnt supose to since they do have a much more expensive DAC). Just like to point Im not writting to bash it, but to point out that as with everything, to each their own, as Im sure many (probably most) dig the HDMI option, the VU meters, and so on, as it appears it is selling well. And tbh Im also not a fan of having a fox badge on my DAC , but unlike the VU, it doesnt show on my rack :wink:

after the evening acid post, as said, both DACs sound great to me, and I noted you just wrote your humble opinion, and in no way I think I have a better grasp of who actually took the better marketing decisions lol.

May 1, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #55 of 497
The DAC200 compared to the HA200 as a headphone amplifier is limited
First of all as a sound impact,sorry to say…

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #56 of 497
The DAC200 compared to the HA200 as a headphone amplifier is limited
First of all as a sound impact,sorry to say…
Well it would be weird if it reached the same amplifier performance, don't you think?

May 1, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #57 of 497
Well it would be weird if it reached the same amplifier performance, don't you think?
Sure, but it's also inferior to other headphone amplifiers I've tried. I don't declare brands or models, I don't want to make a controversy...

May 1, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #58 of 497
Sure, but it's also inferior to other headphone amplifiers I've tried. I don't declare brands or models, I don't want to make a controversy...
Which is not surprising, considering that it's main purpose is a DAC.

Same holds true for the Tambaqui, Dave, Bartok etc.
They all come with bullt in amps but there is superior stuff available.

May 1, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #59 of 497
my main disagreement with @Davidv100 regarded the "free" HP amp on the 200. Im not overall a fan of the dac looks and would have prefered a cleaner look, so even the 4.4 input (alongside that loooong row of buttons) , does bother , but that's just my taste. I already leave the display/meter off so it helps a bit.

If I am to mini review the HP amp of the 200, it would be a bit unatural (tonality a bit off), "small" and plasticly (as oposed to neutral or oth, metalic/digital, but Im aware Im not a good describer)sounding and of course, underpowered, but yes, my comparisson base is with dedicated HP amps costing 1k-5k, so this is to be expected. Well the one good point of having the integrated HP amp I should have mentioned, is to perform tests if sth is off on the system.

May 1, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #60 of 497
I haven't tried the headphone output of the Dac200 - I don't have anything with a 4.4mm pentagon termination. I haven't given it a thought as it doesn't fit my use case. I did think of buying the HA200 instead but want the flexibility of choosing dedicated amps. I don't regard it as a cost factor, just a little hole in the front of the dac:relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back