Synergistic Research HOT device
Dec 3, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #31 of 168
Dec 3, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #33 of 168

In fact I won't even limit expectation bias to just "two ways" - a person can also easily convince him/herself that he's hearing no difference when maybe there is.

That would be less and less likely depending on how big a difference there actually is.

Do you really not know what that photo shows? I'm not trying to criticize you, it's just I find that amazing, because I've repaired my own headphone jacks and I know exactly what I'm looking at there. It's a sign of how much hifi has changed in the past few years. People used to tinker and had some understanding of the basics. Stuff like this dummy plug shows me vividly that many people just spend a lot of money and take things on faith. That is absolutely inconceivable to me, and it makes me worry, because if they allow themselves to be tricked with a dummy plug, how are they going to invest their life savings or vote for their leaders? A little knowledge and some skepticism are vital to prevent being a sheep among wolves.

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #34 of 168
Can you reconstruct the question? I don't think I saw it before that thread was deleted.

On page 38 of the original HOT thread SynRes, claiming to be Ted Denney of synergistic research, cited an ACS article discussing a JACS paper on RRAM using SiO2 as the cell material. This one:

http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/presspacs/2011/acs-presspac-january-19-2011/silicon-oxide-gets-into-the-electronics-action-on-computer-chips.html

It's a nice paper. The work in the paper uses SiO2 carefully grown by PECVD on the order of tens of nanometres (which is critical to RRAM as you need very high field strengths to generate the physical switching mechanism), whilst the HOT seems to be constructed from large lumps of SiO2 pasted onto a connector with a thick layer of plastic wrapped around it.

The work in the paper, the underlying physics of RRAM and it's application seem totally unrelated to the HOT to me. I was hoping SynRes might explain how we can correlate the working principles of RRAM and the HOT?

Or was it just a random and generally irrelevant paper SynRes decided to stick in as example of what people are researching in terms of new applications for SiO2?

(Edit, rushed typing: Actually in this paper and most others SiOx is used where 1<x<2 normally, due to the switching mechanism)

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #36 of 168
On page 38 of the original HOT thread SynRes, claiming to be Ted Denney of synergistic research, cited an ACS article discussing a JACS paper on RRAM using SiO2 as the cell material. This one:

http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/presspacs/2011/acs-presspac-january-19-2011/silicon-oxide-gets-into-the-electronics-action-on-computer-chips.html

It's a nice paper. The work in the paper uses SiO2 carefully grown by PECVD on the order of tens of nanometres (which is critical to RRAM as you need very high field strengths to generate the physical switching mechanism), whilst the HOT seems to be constructed from large lumps of SiO2 pasted onto a connector with a thick layer of plastic wrapped around it.

The work in the paper, the underlying physics of RRAM and it's application seem totally unrelated to the HOT to me. I was hoping SynRes might explain how we can correlate the working principles of RRAM and the HOT?

Or was it just a random and generally irrelevant paper SynRes decided to stick in as example of what people are researching in terms of new applications for SiO2?

(Edit, rushed typing: Actually in this paper and most others SiOx is used where 1
It does seem completely and utterly irrelevant to the HOT device. It's like saying oxygen is part of rocket fuel and I breathe oxygen therefore I'm a rocket.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #38 of 168

That would be less and less likely depending on how big a difference there actually is.

Do you really not know what that photo shows? I'm not trying to criticize you, it's just I find that amazing, because I've repaired my own headphone jacks and I know exactly what I'm looking at there. It's a sign of how much hifi has changed in the past few years. People used to tinker and had some understanding of the basics. Stuff like this dummy plug shows me vividly that many people just spend a lot of money and take things on faith. That is absolutely inconceivable to me, and it makes me worry, because if they allow themselves to be tricked with a dummy plug, how are they going to invest their life savings or vote for their leaders? A little knowledge and some skepticism are vital to prevent being a sheep among wolves.

This photo?

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #40 of 168
Are there any measurement results yet?

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #41 of 168
Most of them are done. They just need organizing and writing up. My apologies for being slow- between an unusually heavy concert schedule (we're seeing Mark Erelli tonight) and an unexpectedly tight AFC North race, my free time for this stuff has been more limited than I'd like.

Two teasers:

1. I cannot find anything in electrical measurements that could cause any degradation of the signal. The earlier report by someone of severe problems with the sound may be due to a faulty connection or solder joint.

2. The HOT has at least the same efficacy as the Bybee Quantum Purifiers.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #42 of 168
  Most of them are done. They just need organizing and writing up. My apologies for being slow- between an unusually heavy concert schedule (we're seeing Mark Erelli tonight) and an unexpectedly tight AFC North race, my free time for this stuff has been more limited than I'd like.

Two teasers:

1. I cannot find anything in electrical measurements that could cause any degradation of the signal. The earlier report by someone of severe problems with the sound may be due to a faulty connection or solder joint.

popcorn.gif

Guess I'll keep sitting on that credit card for the time being 
biggrin.gif
  Thanks for your effort!

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #44 of 168

Two teasers:

I didn't know what those actually were that you referred to but guess that it doesn't look great for the HOT based on this v that I found of those if in similar vain comparison?

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/bybee-quantum-purifier-snake-oil_16.html?m=1

In the comments section below the above linked article, someone mentioned the following:

"It just shows, yet again, how powerful is our apparently inborn wish to be deceived."

I'm not sure if I understand why the commenter thinks why we would wish to be deceived though as that seems odd to me anyway?

ps thank you for taking your time for making these tests and providing teaser results so far :)

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #45 of 168
I didn't know what those actually were that you referred to but guess that it doesn't look great for the HOT based on this v that I found of those if in similar vain comparison?

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/bybee-quantum-purifier-snake-oil_16.html?m=1

In the comments section below the above linked article, someone mentioned the following:

"It just shows, yet again, how powerful is our apparently inborn wish to be deceived."

I'm not sure if I understand why the commenter thinks why we would wish to be deceived though as that seems odd to me anyway?

ps thank you for taking your time for making these tests and providing teaser results so far
smily_headphones1.gif

The "wish" to be deceived is, I think, our tendency to be easily deceived, when we are wishing/hoping to find magical answers.  
A lot of human experience can be attributed to wishful thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back