Synergistic Research HOT device
Nov 29, 2014 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 168

Billheiser

Headphoneus Supremus
Amazing device from Syn Res, claims to improve all aspects of sound, using no power but it's a transducer and also a filter.  It looks just like a plug extender but it has amazing abilities (proprietary design so no explanation given) and it's only $300.  Sounds like a good deal, right?

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 168
Someone should measure it, or perhaps break one open to determine its contents.

I have a distinct feeling of déjà vu
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 168
All transducers use power.

transducer

A transducer is a device that converts a signal in one form of energy to another form of energy.[1] Energy types include (but are not limited to) electrical, mechanical, electromagnetic (including light), chemical, acoustic and thermal energy. While the term transducer commonly implies the use of a sensor/detector, any device which converts energy can be considered a transducer. Transducers are widely used in measuring instruments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transducer

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 168
All transducers use power.

Converting energy from one form to another is not quite the same as "using power." A simple microphone converts mechanical energy into electrical energy, but it is what's called a "passive" device because it does not "use power." An amplifier on the other hand is an "active" device because it does indeed "use power," which is why a power supply is required.

Billheiser means that it is a passive device and does not "use power."

se

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 168
Aren't most transducers passive in the sense that they don't have a power supply?  But a transducer like a headphone use's electrical power to produce sound.  So we have to be very careful about the idea of "using power."

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 168
Aren't most transducers passive in the sense that they don't have a power supply?  But a transducer like a headphone use's electrical power to produce sound.  So we have to be very careful about the idea of "using power."

A pair of headphones (save electrostats) needs no power supply to function properly. The "power" is ultimately supplied by the signal itself.

But if I have to start mincing words as to what is a passive device and what is an active device, I'll just spend my time doing something more productive.

se

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 168
An admin has already locked the 1st thread a few days back. This is a reminder to behave properly and keep the sarcasms, insults, & stupidity out of this one.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 168
  An admin has already locked the 1st thread a few days back. This is a reminder to behave properly and keep the sarcasms, insults, & stupidity out of this one.

So are the measurement results allowed to be posted?

Another thread was deleted a few days ago where I asked serious question about SRs citing a seemingly irrelevant JACS paper.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 168
I hope the gentleman who was doing electrical testing on the HOT will have a place to report his findings.  As I recall, he would have received the unit recently, and might have had a chance to perform the tests on resistance, capacitance, and other parameters.
If he finds it necessary to start another thread to describe the findings, I hope someone will discover it and let me know; it should be informative.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 168
I hope the gentleman who was doing electrical testing on the HOT will have a place to report his findings.  As I recall, he would have received the unit recently, and might have had a chance to perform the tests on resistance, capacitance, and other parameters.
If he finds it necessary to start another thread to describe the findings, I hope someone will discover it and let me know; it should be informative.

The electrical measurements will be allowed to be posted. My friend said he should have them done this week. They'll probably be posted in a new thread specifically for the electrical measurements.

se

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 168

So are the measurement results allowed to be posted?

Another thread was deleted a few days ago where I asked serious question about SRs citing a seemingly irrelevant JACS paper.

Of course! That's just posting measurement results.Look, it's fine for someone to say it sounds muddy to them, it's also fine for someone to say they feel that that it wasn't worth the price they paid for compared to what they're used to. The previous locked HOT thread was somewhat much more colourful with the words - in short lacking civility & diplomacy.

All I'm recommending for this thread to stay alive is for members to post politely - whether that message is positive or negative about the product.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 168

Of course! That's just posting measurement results.Look, it's fine for someone to say it sounds muddy to them, it's also fine for someone to say they feel that that it wasn't worth the price they paid for compared to what they're used to. The previous locked HOT thread was somewhat much more colourful with the words - in short lacking civility & diplomacy.

All I'm recommending for this thread to stay alive is for members to post politely - whether that message is positive or negative about the product.

Thanks for letting us know. And I agree, hopefully we can keep this one on-topic and civil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back