Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME...
Jan 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #196 of 371
I wore these and fell asleep with them in last night.  It's rare that you can find an iem that is small enough that it doesn't really bother you when sleeping on your side.  I wore them over-ear style so the housing sits inside the outer ear and it worked well.  I don't find the supplied tips too bad but those MH1C tips are fantastic.  

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #197 of 371
I tried over the ear today also and found it actually works well once I took the time to do it properly.  The cable is so light it just disappears and the weightlessness is really nice.  The cable becomes a little short for my liking, but I swear it sounds better now <jk>!

In other news, I was going to compare these to my Brainwavz Beta (v2) but it seems the drivers broke over the winter in the car so now they're on their way back to MP4Nation for warranty...

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #198 of 371
I had a pair of those BB v2 when they were first released and although they were decent, I think these TDK's sound much better.  I also owned those Spider TinyEars, which I think were even smaller than these but for sound, those were pretty good also but still doesn't compare to how good these sound to me.  When it comes to price vs performance, these gotta be at the very top for me.  I guess mine were free so there you go.  

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #199 of 371
call it blasphemy if you want but if any of you ventured into the fullsize headphone world....
the subbass on this is sexier than the classic denon line of headphones.

it's also quite detailed.
haven't heard the drums and bass in Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" sound like these before.

EDIT. dear headphone gods! i just started thinking of my d2k's sound and realized....
once you adjust for the soundstage difference between headphones and iems,...
this is it in iem form. perhaps better! and those cost me about $300!!!

also. additional note on that detail. Tracks in my library downloaded from the internet where even though the quality reads 256kbps or better but I have suspected they're actually lower. I can't listen to them on these anymore. I mean, I can but I'd rather not.
The old adage applies here. Crap in. Crap out.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #200 of 371
Quote:
call it blasphemy if you want but if any of you ventured into the fullsize headphone world....
the subbass on this is sexier than the classic denon line of headphones.

He he... blasphemy indeed! Glad you're digging them man
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #201 of 371
Quote:
I wore these and fell asleep with them in last night.  It's rare that you can find an iem that is small enough that it doesn't really bother you when sleeping on your side.  I wore them over-ear style so the housing sits inside the outer ear and it worked well.  I don't find the supplied tips too bad but those MH1C tips are fantastic.  

Yeah, I recently just switched them to over ear. The sound is not diminished, and it works especially well for when in bed. Which makes my fxd70's very sad because they were my sleep buds before this and were getting at least a bit of play time due to that. I'm feeling very sorry for most of my iem's now. I'm just glad that I don't have the fxz100/200's for these cheapies to kick around and abuse (ok ok.. I'm going too far now I know lol!)

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #202 of 371
Thanks to Nick_N for tipping me off to these iems. 

I plugged them into my ears right after I picked them up before Christmas. The bass sounded a little flabby so I burned them in for 30 hours.

A little patience paid off. The lower registers definitely dominate, but they a nice timbre and texture. I was listening to a movie and had to rewind it so I could re-listen to a short section of the soundtrack. The bowed cello sounded so authentic to me. Now I remember the music, but not the movie. :)

The frequency response isn't U shaped, but it gradually drops off as it moves from the bottom end to the top. That's pretty clear when I listen to log sweeps. Nonetheless, the mids are pleasant. Some female vocalists that sound thin or dry on other earphones sound pretty good with the TDKs. The cymbals are there, but they don't offer much sparkle.

I ran a few test tones and, boy, is the sub-bass there in spades. The lowest track I have is 16 Hz and it was audible and uniform — no crackle or buzz. (And I thought you felt sub-bass more than you heard it. I guess I learned something new.)

Overall, I think I have a preference for the brighter Monoprice 8320. But I've been swamping between the TDKs and Monoprice units pretty constantly since Christmas. (The TDKs are far more comfortable and stay in my ears much better, even when I'm active.) And for a total of $15, I got them both, including shipping on the Monoprice units. You can't beat that.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #203 of 371
No fair out of stock !
Only ebay :frowning2:

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #207 of 371
http://www.shopxscargo.com/store_locator/default.asp
To help yourself find someone that lives near a XSCargo haha.

Nothing in the French province. As usual. (I blame the province for being so anti-social)

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #209 of 371
Quote:
I can find these for $24 in America. How are they as $24 iems? I see they are excellent at $10 and less, but what about at $24?

It depends on the sound that you like. The bass is punchy and strong (but not bloated) with good sub-bass, and the mids are quite forward (ie not-recessed), and the treble is not too bright (ie never harsh or sibilant to me). For me, that works very well, and results in a very full and engaging sound that I enjoy very much. This results in me listening to them more than my other more expensive iem's, so for me these are worth much more than $24.

Other benefits: they are small and fit nicely. I wear them hanging down during the day, but in bed they can be worn over the ear and they sit quite flush in the ear, so I can even lay the side of my head on the pillow and it works better than any of my other iem's.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #210 of 371
Quote:
I can find these for $24 in America. How are they as $24 iems? I see they are excellent at $10 and less, but what about at $24?

Still a deal for bassy phones. They're better than the Klipsch S4 which are at least twice that price, and I like them more than my Sony MH1C ($30-$64) and Audio-Technica CKS77 ($84).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back