Supreme Sound (Burson) Audio Lycan Headamp
Jan 19, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #106 of 174
>>>Does the separation of music instrument gets better? Sounds more musical?<<<

Really hard to say, since I don't own an H10 to compare it too. I can comfortably say though, between all my home headphone amps (3), and all of the radio station mixing board headphone amps (3 different console model numbers, 8 total broadcast consoles), the Lycan, with the linear power supply, and V5 D chip, is my most favorite sounding. I am much more into low distortion, low noise floor(s), high headroom, and separation, as compared to holographic imaging, but that's me. The Matrix M Stage with the dual V5 comes in second.  

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #108 of 174
This is the model I purchased (but not from Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/HY3005D-Variable-Linear-Power-Supply/dp/B0073JUZSS

If you want, save yourself some money, and buy the 3 amp version, as the 5 amp version is way overkill. The power supply does not come with a connector that will connect directly to the Lycan. Hopefully you have some soldering skill. You will have to cut the switching Lycan power supply cable (unplugged of course) to mate with the linear power supply supplied cable.

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #110 of 174
Pictures of the Lycan with the linear power supply:

Looks like not an audio grade LPS to me and its massively bulky:nerd:. But definitely better then stock Switching power.:thumbsup:

Just ordered this from alixpress:

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32473911733.html

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #112 of 174
Personally, looks don't matter to me, sound does. The regulated linear DC power supply (with an insane 20 times the amount of current needed) does everything exactly the way I want it to. I'm quite sure I've reached a mountain peak in headphone performance with this combo. Also, answering another question, how much air is between instruments? Tons.    

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #114 of 174
Curious if I could use a 0.5 from my Pulse LPS4?

You can ask or email Alex from Burson, he's been helpful! I emailed him about using my intended LPS whether its safe to use.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #116 of 174
Any linear or switching power supply that has an output of 24 volts DC, and over a 1/4 (0.25 ma) amp output, can be used to power the Lycan. Just make sure that you have the correct polarity. Power supplies with the lowest amount of AC ripple will usually give you the best audio performance (best measured using a scope). It's basically as simple as that. We've all heard of tube rolling and op-amp rolling...I guess we now have power supply rolling?

This would also be a good choice for powering the Lycan:

See models PS24-2R or PS24-4R

http://www.atlassound.com/v/SupportFiles/1081/Data%20Sheet.pdf

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #118 of 174
Found out the LPS4 barrel power connector does not fit the Lycan.
frown.gif

I also heard back from Alex and here is what he says:

The Lycan needs a 24v power supply, with a minimum of 20 VA.  It can be a linear power supply or a switching power supply.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #119 of 174
So anyone know how to deal with dirt with this Lycan open concept?

Blower and brush, followed by contact cleaner?:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back