Supreme Sound (Burson) Audio Lycan Headamp
Feb 20, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #136 of 174
Now I see the gustard H10 for about $300 on massdrop, now I should get that over the lycan right? Also switching out that op-amp with bursons.

I have both amps and they are each excellent.  However in the $300 range I'd say that the H10 is the better amp by a considerable margin.  I snagged the Lycan for about $160 off ebay new in box from an individual, not Supreme Sound, and at that price it is beyond excellent.  The H10 is overall a much beefier amp in physical size, build quality, and overall sound quality.  If you thought that regular op amp rolling was in your future the Lycan would be a better choice as it only requires one dual or two single op amps and access for swapping is much easier.  I'd check out Supreme Sound's Ebay listings for a demo model at considerably less than the direct asking price.  The Gustard to my ears has an overall smoother presentation and seems to have better control especially with bass response.  I'm on stock op amps with the H10 for now and plan to upgrade to full boat V5 op amps next month once Burson has the new H10 safe 17v rated op amps ready to go.  Either way you can't go wrong as both amps sound fabulous but again if you are going to spend in the $300 range I say go for the H10 as it is overall a fantastic sounding and very balance amp.

Feb 20, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #137 of 174
Yeah I looked at the inners of that H10 and its beautiful and looks like a beast. Dual mono, a ton of capacitors, wow! H10 look more beefy than asgard, project amps or lycan in the $300 range. Yeah I'll probably get the H10 and go full burson as well.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #138 of 174
H10 with V5 have darker background and more micro details and staging is much wider then Lycan V5 with stock switching power. But Lycan is much puncher in the lower end and for those who need pre out is a plus.

Aim for the 17V V5 op amp as the older ones cannot handle the H10 strong voltage.

My lycan was a replacement for all the V5s that is burned.

Have since move away from V5 amps and got myself a Audio-gd C2 discrete amp.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #139 of 174
The audio gd c2.1 are using discrete op amps as well and maybe you can try the bursons v5 and tell us what sounds better :).

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #140 of 174
The audio gd c2.1 are using discrete op amps as well and maybe you can try the bursons v5 and tell us what sounds better :).

Op amp is not involved in the C2 11th anniversary.
"Class A design built by discrete analog stages without any OPA or coupling caps in the signal channels."

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #141 of 174
Ok so thats the difference between 2 and 2.1

Edit: wait your talking about 2.1 11th anniversary they use discrete op amps basically, and they can be switched out it says on their page just scroll down.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C-2new/C2.1EN.htm

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #142 of 174
Ok so thats the difference between 2 and 2.1

Nope your link is older version, below is the latest:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN.htm

Ok, since this thread is about Lycan. Keep at that:grin:

Edit: wait your talking about 2.1 11th anniversary they use discrete op amps basically, and they can be switched out it says on their page just scroll down.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C-2new/C2.1EN.htm

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #145 of 174
I have both amps and they are each excellent.  However in the $300 range I'd say that the H10 is the better amp by a considerable margin.  I snagged the Lycan for about $160 off ebay new in box from an individual, not Supreme Sound, and at that price it is beyond excellent.  The H10 is overall a much beefier amp in physical size, build quality, and overall sound quality.  If you thought that regular op amp rolling was in your future the Lycan would be a better choice as it only requires one dual or two single op amps and access for swapping is much easier.  I'd check out Supreme Sound's Ebay listings for a demo model at considerably less than the direct asking price.  The Gustard to my ears has an overall smoother presentation and seems to have better control especially with bass response.  I'm on stock op amps with the H10 for now and plan to upgrade to full boat V5 op amps next month once Burson has the new H10 safe 17v rated op amps ready to go.  Either way you can't go wrong as both amps sound fabulous but again if you are going to spend in the $300 range I say go for the H10 as it is overall a fantastic sounding and very balance amp.

What opamp does your Lycan uses?

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #147 of 174
Damn, I have been used the Lycan for few months already and I need to find the time to write something about it.
But I tell you that I strongly suggest the Lycan to the ones that think the Senns HD650 are muffled or laid back.
Every time I plug the cans in, I big smile get stamped on my face, it would speak by itself in a review.
I just need to post a picture of it to make the head-fiers understanding; i don't do it as I am ugly and I don't want the website loses readers :)
I will write a short review soon, promised.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #148 of 174
Damn, I have been used the Lycan for few months already and I need to find the time to write something about it.
But I tell you that I strongly suggest the Lycan to the ones that think the Senns HD650 are muffled or laid back.
Every time I plug the cans in, I big smile get stamped on my face, it would speak by itself in a review.
I just need to post a picture of it to make the head-fiers understanding; i don't do it as I am ugly and I don't want the website loses readers :)
I will write a short review soon, promised.

Hahahaha! I like your sense of humor

Looking forward for your review

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #149 of 174
Hi, i recently purchased Lycan and it has been a great addition to my system except for one issue of high pitch noise from the power brick. Whenever i plug it in (even if the power is off), this brick produces a serious high pitch noise. I tried different us plug adapters, moved it around, and it seems like nothing is working. Do you guys think that it might be a defective unit? If i want to try a third party option like those on amazon with matching specs, do you see any possible issues? For fact that i currently connect it to my power conditioner.

I mean since i dont hear it while kusic playing and stuff, so it's not a deal breaker but i am more worried about fire hazard.
Thanks.

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #150 of 174
Hi, i recently purchased Lycan and it has been a great addition to my system except for one issue of high pitch noise from the power brick. Whenever i plug it in (even if the power is off), this brick produces a serious high pitch noise. I tried different us plug adapters, moved it around, and it seems like nothing is working. Do you guys think that it might be a defective unit? If i want to try a third party option like those on amazon with matching specs, do you see any possible issues? For fact that i currently connect it to my power conditioner.

I mean since i dont hear it while kusic playing and stuff, so it's not a deal breaker but i am more worried about fire hazard.
Thanks.

Record the high pitch sound and sent over to tech support Burson .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back