Supersized RE0: Sony MDR-SA3000 (update: driven with Beyerdynamic A1 clone)
Jul 13, 2010 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

borrego

1000+ Head-Fier
I just received the SA3000 I bought from ebay for $139 this morning. I plugged the brand new headphones to my S:flo2/Arrow amp and listened for 15mins. I would say it worths more than the $139 I paid

I was looking for full size cans for Classical/String listening. Sound stage and detail level at least matching my RE0 was the criteria. My choices was down to the K702 and the SA5000. Then I saw the SA3000 on ebay for $139. I did a bit of research and found the SA5000 and SA3000 use the same drivers (confirmed from Sony service manual), and the only difference related to sound are the earpads, and the damping membranes behind the drivers (which many SA5000 users would remove as mod anyway), I decided buying the SA3000 and save US$230

The first 15mins listening proved my choice is right. It is exactly the "Supersized" RE0 I expected. It is a bit bass light like the RE0 but does exceed the RE0 at extension at both ends, details level and sound stage. I can't be more happy for the $139 spent.

My Beyer A1 "clone" amp should arrive in next month. By then the SA3000 shall be burnt in and I shall decide if I will do any mod to the SA3000.

Update 10th August 2010

My A1 clone amp arrived this morning. My idea was: The details revealing SA3000 should be driven with a details revealing amp to sound good.

The Beyerdynamic A1 has the reputation of being natural and very details revealing. My A1 clone, withthe input selection circuitary omitted, should sound even more transparent.

Setup: S:flo2 (v2.3 firmware, external lithium battery powered) -> Oyaide HPC-35R 3.5mm to RCA cable -> A1 Clone -> SA3000
Material: 16bit FLACs

The SA3000/A1 clone is my office setup so the S:flo2 is the best sound source available for the time being.

Initial comparision with S:flo2 -> Oyaide 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable -> Arrow 12HE with bass boost setting 1:
1. Very clear sound. I must say it is another level of "clearness" above the Arrow. The A1 clone is simply without any detectable noise and is outputing "crystal clear" sound.
2. Bass. More and even better control than the Arrow with bass boost 1. I am happy with the SA3000's bass with the A1 clone. Bass quantity is about the same of my HD25/S:flo2/Arrow combo. I don't feel any need to boost the bass quantity further.
3. Mid/Vocals: Very detailed (just a little bit more than from the Arrow). I would use the word "Complete" instead of "Full" to describe
4. Treble: Similar to the Arrow (that's is good)
5. Sound stage: Similar to the Arrow
6. Instrument seperation: Not listened to classical tracks yet, but I can count more "layers" from the music.

I am very happy. I prove myself correct that the SA3000 should sound best when it is paired with an amp which can provide details it requires. To make the Sony sounds good, it is to make sure it is not starved of details from the source. If it is done, one will not find the SA3000 bright or treble bias.

PS: please PM me if you want to find out more on the A1 clone. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 21
I've been considering trying out the SA5000 in the future.  I'll just get the SA3000 instead when I get around to it then. Not as silvery in looks either, lol.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 21
interesting! I still got plans to try sa5k earpads on the sa3k...
I hate dual ended cables, and they share the same drivers
smile.gif

the cd900 looks like the **** too, but well comfort seems lousy, and so does the SS apparently...PRaT on the sa5k is also said to be even higher than on the cd3k
basshead.gif

I was told that the sa5k has a pretty narrow SS, though? and how's the isolation on the sa3k? can you hear yourself typing on the keyboard when listening at reasonable volume?

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
interesting! I still got plans to try sa5k earpads on the sa3k...
I hate dual ended cables, and they share the same drivers
smile.gif

the cd900 looks like the **** too, but well comfort seems lousy, and so does the SS apparently...PRaT on the sa5k is also said to be even higher than on the cd3k
basshead.gif

I was told that the sa5k has a pretty narrow SS, though? and how's the isolation on the sa3k? can you hear yourself typing on the keyboard when listening at reasonable volume?

Do you know where to get the SA5K earpads? It seems that even some SA5K users have a hard time getting Sony shop to do replacement when their earpads worn.

I have never listened to the SA5K so I couldn't compare. But I think the SA3K's isolation is not very good, I have no trouble hear people talking to me at the volume I listen to. But according to my coworker in the office, it also doesn't leak sound much... May be it is because I listen to relatively low volume. The fabric earpads of the SA3K is quite comfortable to me. I just don't know how durable it will be.

I must admit I am a details freak. All my audio gear are of neutral/high definition flavors.

In my opinion, the key to enjoy the SA3000 (or any other high definition cans) is to feed the phone with a neutral powerful, high definition amp and listen at slightly lower than usual volume level: to enjoy the sparkles and details yet avoiding fatique.

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
I've been considering trying out the SA5000 in the future.  I'll just get the SA3000 instead when I get around to it then. Not as silvery in looks either, lol.

While I think the SA5K is still a great performers, at the price of $370, I am not sure if it still compete well with newer cans like those from Ultrasone and the K702.

The SA3K is an unbeatable value at $139 though.

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 21
Sounds great!  I recently gat a chance head the MDR-V6 and was way impressed.  Is it the most detailed, dynamic, or authoritative, nope, not by a long shot.  But they simply balanced those traits to perfection in their own way.  I would assume the SA line would simply elevate those traits to new levels.  Enjoy!

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 21
Very Nice Inquiry!!
I've been asking that question in another thread, and you have confirmed my findings.
I might buy it now.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
While I think the SA5K is still a great performers, at the price of $370, I am not sure if it still compete well with newer cans like those from Ultrasone and the K702.

The SA3K is an unbeatable value at $139 though.

I've been told they're kind of Grado-y, which is what piqued my interest.

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 21
Do you know where to get the SA5K earpads?  [..] I have no trouble hear people talking to me at the volume I listen to.

Sony Part Number: "2-345-306-01", any authorized spare parts dealer can obtain them AFAIK.

I've got a noisy dog and a noisy DLP pj, I do need isolation...even half closed-back(like on the cd3k) is OK, I don't think I'm ready for fully opened back, but the sa3k doesn't really look that opened?

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
Sony Part Number: "2-345-306-01", any authorized spare parts dealer can obtain them AFAIK.

I've got a noisy dog and a noisy DLP pj, I do need isolation...even half closed-back(like on the cd3k) is OK, I don't think I'm ready for fully opened back, but the sa3k doesn't really look that opened?

I think the ambient sound comes in through the earpads. I don't have a large head and I don't have tight seal at the lower portion of the earpads when I put the headphones on. I think the SA5K pads may provide better isolation.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 21
You could always ask bug SONY about that.

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #14 of 21
Aug 9, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 21
Post #1 updated with A1 Clone experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back